PORTUGAL thread

Portugal 2 x 0 Netherlands(Sergio Oliveira(P) and Mane).
U-21 :D

We have one of the best youth teams of Europe,we must use some of the players to our Main National team :D

How the hell does someone like Tiago Gomes make the NT? Fucking waste of space.

Portugal is turning into a Greece-like team: Boring, slow and messy build-up looking for those late game winners. such a shame.

Tiago Gomes is like the 5th choice at best. It was a friendly, just a test to see him in action. He's been very good at Braga, but it's not NT level.

Gameplay-wise we are terrible. Players lost on the field, no plan, but its seems player are rallying behing Santos at least in the honey-moon stage.

Currently we have a very poor squad, althought the old guys that are returning had made a sparkle. But our under-21 is quite promising.

Let's wait and see.

glad to see that they got past all this rivalry bullshit

234702FC00000578-0-image-20_1416342519100.jpg

Tiago Gomes is like the 5th choice at best. It was a friendly, just a test to see him in action. He's been very good at Braga, but it's not NT level.

Gameplay-wise we are terrible. Players lost on the field, no plan, but its seems player are rallying behing Santos at least in the honey-moon stage.

Currently we have a very poor squad, althought the old guys that are returning had made a sparkle. But our under-21 is quite promising.

Let's wait and see.

I know, but still he shouldn't be called-up, seeing him and Guerreiro last night made me realize how huge the gap between them and Coentrão is, still. It seems like there's no decent back-up out-there. I wanted to see more of Cédric, he made a good impression on me last time, but then got injured :c

I'm also glad to see Tiago, Bosingwa and Ricky back. They'll add that touch of experience and professionalism some of their predecessors were missing, but I feel it's a bit too late for them to make a comeback, this team needs to move forward.

Look at William and André Gomes: both gems, just the breath of fresh air this team needs. I've been hearing/reading good things about the U-21, but I keep wondering why they don't get selected more.

I don't know why, but so far I'm still pessimistic about everything, but like you said: Let's wait.

Left back is traditionally a position that not many Portuguese players excel at. Guerreiro is young lad. He looked good against Armenia. But the natural back-up is Antunes IMO. Not world class, but solid.

Tiago and Carvalho played very well. Clearly on another level. Bosingwa skills have vanished. I much prefer to have André Almeida instead of him.

Our young players that can be solution in the immediate future, besides William Carvalho and André Gomes (both have proved that they already belong), are João Mário (Sporting); Bruma (Galatasaray), altought coming from a severe injury and with the instability at the club things aren't looking good for him; and Marcos Lopes (Man City - on loan to Lille), if he chooses to play for Portugal at senior level. Cédric can be a solid player, but nothing more than that IMO,

But in 4 years if the kids have a good development cycle our team will be loaded. Rúben Vezo, Tiago Ilori, Bernardo Silva, Rúben Neves, João Cancelo, Bruno Fernandes and a bit further down the line Gonçalo Guedes (probably the most talent kid to come of Benfica's academy since Rui Costa. A diamond in the rough). All of them have great potential. Kids that may reach a bigger level, but I don't see nothing but solid players in the future: Ivan Cavaleiro, Ricardo Esgaio, Ricardo Pereira and Carlos Mané.

Porto and Benfica just need to start give their kids a change, because they already reached the level of Sporting’s academy. Plus Vitória de Guimarães have been producing some very good players.
The problem is that those kids aren’t ready yet, and we are wasting the last years of Cristiano at the very top with a more or less mediocre team.

Speaking of Lopes: You know... I caught some of His games early on the season and he looked really special, his movements are incredible for someone that age. He knows exactly how to position himself and when to move.

He was on fire the first few games, had abundance of energy and team-up really well with Corchia, Origi and Roux, but then he sort of faded away over time, didn't seem much interested and as a result he lost his place to Martin now. Nonetheless if he could show the same desire and will he had at the beginning thorough a whole season then he could turnout world-class.

City has an incredible talent in him, but somehow I hope we land him (would be like a wet dream).

I haven't followed at Lille. I heard that he was doing ok at beginning. The guy is special. No doubt, but still need to work a lot of his physique. Most likely his fading away is stamina related. Playing with the big boys for the first time takes a toll.

You wish he somehow end up at Chelsea. I just wished he didn't leave Benfica so early. But sharks came and took him away. FIFA or UEFA really need to protect more the academy clubs more.

Back
Top Bottom