Player Cards/Attributes Discussion

R

Rob92

I couldn't see a thread like this in here, apologies if there is somewhere.

Let's use this thread to discuss anything to do with player cards/attributes :)
For example, which are the most effective? Which have little or no impact? Do you prefer low attributes and a bunch of cards, or top class attributes with few cards?

A few of the player cards' impacts upon the game are still a mystery to me, a few questions I have about them to me;

S01 Marauding - Does this just increase a player's tendency to attack (i.e. "attack" attribute boost) or is there more to it?

S05 1-touch play - I know this improves first time passes and shots, but does it also affect first-touch ball control?

S07 Man Marking - Does this only take effect if you use man marking as a tactic?

S10 DF Leader - Is this just for offside traps, or does having one of these improve the defensive line all the time?

P01 Classic No.10, P03 Trickster, P04 Darting Run, P05 Mazing Run, P06 Pinpoint Pass, P07 Early Cross, P09, Cut Back Pass, P10 Incisive Run, P11 Long Ranger - A lot of cards to bunch together here, but do these actually make any difference to a player when they're under your control, or are they purely to influence how the AI behaves with them? (i.e. a SB with "Early Cross" will attempt more deep crosses when under AI control, but won't be more accurate with them if you try them yourself?)

P02 Anchor Man - Does this just make the DMF stay deeper? Couldn't this be done anyway on the tactics screen?

P18 Talisman - Perhaps the least noticeable card in the entire game, seems to have no effect!

Any answers appreciated :)).

You know, before this version I never paid much attention to individual attributes, it was all about the Pentagon that gave you a nice brief overview of a players capabilities.

But since that's now at a useless size, I've developed into a bit of an attribute geek, studying and obsessing over one point differences etc.

As for cards, a lot seem to be CPU restricted only. For instance I'm sure the 'Long Ranger' card just boosts the frequency of long distance shots for CPU players, where-as in older versions the 'Middle Shooter' card actually added a bit more oomph to shots from far.

Mazing Run has a noticeable impact I think. The players that possess it seem to take more incidental touches on the ball, and are a bit more nimble. I'm a fan of the Cruyff Turn card as well, forget what it's called in game, but it makes quick 180 turns more efficient.

The Enforcer card seems very useful, but that still might just be a placebo.

I'd like to see more positional cards that effect how a player operates off the ball. For instance a targetman will play with his back to goal, but also make more of an effort to get into the box when the balls outwide. Similarly, a poacher card should see a player always hang on the last man's shoulder, and drift into space in the box.

IMO, S01 Marauding does not inflate attacking attributes, but player with Marauding makes forward runs and joins attacks more frequently. Excelent for midfielders, makes them sneak more often in the box :)

My favourite cards are;

Passer - The through ball with players who possess this card is deadly!

1-on-1 Finish - I think the name is slightly misleading as it seems to improve finishing in general rather than just one-on-ones. The R2 controlled shot is lethal with these players!

Goal Poacher - Makes your strikers play like strikers, the positioning of forwards without this card is quite strange.

Enforcer - Midfielders with this card are tackling machines.

1-on-1 Keeper - As with 1-on-1 finish, this seems to affect more than 1-on-1s, general shot stopping seems far superior for keepers with this card.

Covering - Vital for centre-backs.

Shoulder Feint Skills - I like using the Matthews feint, and this card makes it more effective.

IMO, S01 Marauding does not inflate attacking attributes, but player with Marauding makes forward runs and joins attacks more frequently. Excelent for midfielders, makes them sneak more often in the box :)
I knew it wouldn't improve attacking attributes in general, I meant the "Attack" attribute, which decides a player's tendency to attack, and their quality of positioning, I thought "Marauding" might just give that a "+10 boost" or something.

This is the thing that lets PES down a bit. So much depth to be explored but so little information as to what it all means. Surely they could make an online manual for our reference. After all, they've created these player cards - they could at least explain them properly ;)

There is a manual in the menus that explains all the player cards.

Man Marking is activated when you select individual players to man mark. When you don't have control of them they stick more closely to the players with this card.

Which card makes the player dribble like Arshavin/Messi/Sanchez/Robben etc.. ? Where they can make 90 degree turns while running ?

Which card makes the player dribble like Arshavin/Messi/Sanchez/Robben etc.. ? Where they can make 90 degree turns while running ?
S14 - Speed Merchant

Probably the most effective card in the game, but I don't like using it...

S14 - Speed Merchant

Probably the most effective card in the game, but I don't like using it...

Yeah I know its really annoying especially in MLO when playing against someone who has a player with it and you're a D4 team :P

There is a manual in the menus that explains all the player cards.

Man Marking is activated when you select individual players to man mark. When you don't have control of them they stick more closely to the players with this card.

Did you work out the second part? Or is that in the menu? i've read it before and didn't think it was that comprehensive. Because I've looked at man marking before. I don't activate it in game but if a player has that card and you don't activate it, they won't use the benefits of this card?

Did you work out the second part? Or is that in the menu? i've read it before and didn't think it was that comprehensive. Because I've looked at man marking before. I don't activate it in game but if a player has that card and you don't activate it, they won't use the benefits of this card?

No it isn't too comprehensive, just a brief description you're right.

I think the man marking card is activated (or boosted) when you specifically assign that player to man mark (unlike say, the covering card, which the CPU seems to initiate automatically) otherwise players will just do their normal zonal marking.

Kind of like if a player has good free kick accuracy it will only work when you use him to take a free kick, that's what its there for.

Ah interesting. This is what I was getting at before. We're guessing as to how these functions work when Konami could explain those points you just mentioned. Not only what the card does but how and when it will work and what other impacts it has.

Back
Top Bottom