Player attributes in the Fox engine

fletch821

Non-League
2 June 2018
I’d love to get the community’s thoughts on the level of influence attribute changes have on players in Fox Engine-era PES. I’m looking at reviving a global club-team CPU vs. CPU tournament I started many years ago on RTWC98 and last ran on WE7:I. Newer eras of PES brought in more club teams from around the world, and that’s great for the tournament (it’s sort of a mega-sized FIFA Club World Cup), so I want to periodically update which game is used in order to help the competition expand. I’ve settled on using PES 5 and PES 2011 (though 2012 came really, really close), but I’m torn on whether to use PES 2015 or PES 2017 from the Fox era. (I run these on a Mac with Wineskin, so I can't go any newer than that.)

I know PES 2017 is the smoother, more polished game of the two, but after watching gameplay as well as some YouTube videos I’m left wondering how much of that smoothness is hard coded into the gameplay rather than a reflection of players’ abilities. What keeps me intrigued by PES 2015 is that it’s one year removed from the 2014 game, which had really nuanced physics, if suspect AI. Something about PES 15 feels less predictable than the two games that came after it, and I'm wondering if that's an illusion or if there's something to it.

To get to the point: Was something of 2014's physics lost along the way that might still have been there in PES 2015? Which of the Fox engine-era games is better at reflecting the impact on the pitch of a great player over a good or mediocre one through player attributes? (Skills and playing styles play a role in all of this, too, but I haven't looked into them enough to know how big of one.)

I've seen some threads where the PES Stats Database folks tried to dive into the attributes subject a bit, but they seemed to just get frustrated in the end because of Konami's inconsistencies. I can run my own tests, but I respect the wide range of knowledge in this community; it seems likely someone has looked into these things before now. I look forward to your thoughts!

In a hope to bump your OP, thank you for sharing some good questions a lot of us my be interested in delving in.

Btw, would you know if Konami have elected to get rid of 'heart' (or extra spiritedness which players can experience during the game), and team vision, which invited the A.I. to read and predict patterns of play to affect us most as users in immediate replies after scoring a goal as well as in stoppage time miracles, etc.? Could the form arrows (not only live updates), and consistent/persistent impact in a specific match actually allow a player to transform from his coded attributes ever in Fox or unreal?

These are great questions, too, Steph. I've wondered the same. "Heart," for example, doesn't come up anywhere I can find among official or user discussions of PES 2015. I get the sense (and it's only a sense for now) that 2015 had more of 2014's DNA left in it than later editions, but it's hard to know how exactly how much.

Back
Top Bottom