PES5 vs WE9 vs WE9LE

fmicablues7

Premier League
15 July 2013
Hi,

As i was a bit disappointed about the pes 2017 shortcomings, i came back to these gems. I decided to give a fair try to these three games, before that i'd always go for we9le because of the love it gets.

But after trying pes 5, i'm not sure we9le is superior to pes 5. I think the defense are tighter in pes 5 and the cpu attacks better, the game flow seems lower too. Really confusing given the fact that we9le is considered to be a better pes 5.

I will try we9 too and let you know. Which game is the best for you, especially in master league vs the cpu ?

The referees in we9le is less strict compared to pes5, I personally like pes5 more because of the referees, you never feel cheated. This is contrast to how I used to feel, before I didn't like pes 5 because I thought the referees are disrupting the flow of the game, but now I play longer games (15-20 minutes) and it feels just right.

Yeah totally spot on ! I play 20min games in pes 5 and i get realistic results, before when i was playing 10-15min i was getting a lot of 0-0.

But apart from that, how did you find the cpu compared to we9/we9le, especially offensive-wise?

The main thing I love about we9le is how much the CPU pressure and how good they are defensively. It's really hard to break them in 4-5 stars.

for WE9 & WE9LE:
4* is the most solid defensively but kinda harmless in attack.
6* has that super-charged turbo attack that might not be totally realistic but is more of a challenge. Also presses more agressively defensively which is easily exploited by a skilled user unless you somehow make a cohesive press work via tactics.
When doing tactics I focus on defense, otherwise 6* would be easier to beat than 4*, even though it attacks better.
Haven't played 5* in a while but it also boasts that aggressive press and I believe it doesn't have the clinical finishing of 6*.

Chenghis i asked you a few months ago if you found we9 better than we9le, you told me you didn't play enough to answer, however now have you any opinion ?

I find PES5 better than WE9LE but it may be because i used to play 5 on the PS2 where the response times are slightly slower than the PC. So i always found that with WE9LE i could just tap the ball around quickly like tikka takka. Also i prefer the refs in PES5. :)

I prefer WE9.
It runs better on my machine and I can't think of anything the Korean version does better. To me there is not much difference between these two versions. I couldn't break it down into a detailed comparison anyway, especially since I almost exclusively played WE9 the entire year.

shameless ad: try that latest Atletico tactic I posted, it's hella fun to me.

Thanks, but I wouldn't exactly call it work...

I am actually super curious to try PES 17 and it's tactical engine but my pc can't run it. :( Don't have the money for a new one right now, but might just have to save to experience PES 17 & Arma 3.

So i always found that with WE9LE i could just tap the ball around quickly like tikka takka.

I find it difficult to do that vs tactically organized opposition (so everyone in my OF). 1-touch passing is decently inaccurate and prone to mistakes, everyone miscontrols the ball once in a while, even Messi and I have to concentrate well and be on the top of my game to get some quick passing combinations going in the final third. I'd say it's to easy to bypass a press this way in the 1st & 2nd third of the pitch, though. To me that has a lot to do with the camera-angle-luxury afforded to us players, we can spot space much better than real life players can. Try using the player-view cam...

Last edited:
Yeah, i thought you'd be interested in the new tactical options pes 17 provide.

A bit off-topic: has anyone a link to original version of we9, i only find spanish editions or patched editions

I find it difficult to do that vs tactically organized opposition (so everyone in my OF). 1-touch passing is decently inaccurate and prone to mistakes, everyone miscontrols the ball once in a while, even Messi and I have to concentrate well and be on the top of my game to get some quick passing combinations going in the final third. I'd say it's to easy to bypass a press this way in the 1st & 2nd third of the pitch, though. To me that has a lot to do with the camera-angle-luxury afforded to us players, we can spot space much better than real life players can. Try using the player-view cam...

Sorry i didnt explain properly. I didnt mean that the players passes were always accurate and that it was easy i just meant that i can pass quickly because i find the response times are far quicker on pc than on the ps2. I prefer the slight delay, very very slight delay on the ps2 which adds a bit of realism. It just feels more 'solid' on the ps2. Really hard to explain. Even PES5 on pc feels different than PS2. Just my opinion. It may even have something to do with the TV i use. I would play PES5 on the ps2 and then play WE9LE because of the raving about it but then go back to PES5 on ps2 again because it just 'felt' better.

I would try a different camera angle but i'm playing PES2017 now which is by far the best footy game now. PES5 i played for 10 years but now, finally, there is a top top quality PES game. :)

Sorry i didnt explain properly. I didnt mean that the players passes were always accurate and that it was easy i just meant that i can pass quickly because i find the response times are far quicker on pc than on the ps2. I prefer the slight delay, very very slight delay on the ps2 which adds a bit of realism. It just feels more 'solid' on the ps2. Really hard to explain. Even PES5 on pc feels different than PS2. Just my opinion. It may even have something to do with the TV i use. I would play PES5 on the ps2 and then play WE9LE because of the raving about it but then go back to PES5 on ps2 again because it just 'felt' better.

I would try a different camera angle but i'm playing PES2017 now which is by far the best footy game now. PES5 i played for 10 years but now, finally, there is a top top quality PES game. :)
¨

I would like to feel the same. But as i said in another thread, the stats system and the subsequent individuality are better represented in older pes. The balance between user skill and players skills was perfect in pes5. You could really identify the weaknesses and strength of a player. Most of the time, the pes 2017 players feel similar. If they manage to reach this perfect balance that pes 5 had, then i can say we can put we9/pes5 to rest.

¨

I would like to feel the same. But as i said in another thread, the stats system and the subsequent individuality are better represented in older pes. The balance between user skill and players skills was perfect in pes5. You could really identify the weaknesses and strength of a player. Most of the time, the pes 2017 players feel similar. If they manage to reach this perfect balance that pes 5 had, then i can say we can put we9/pes5 to rest.

Without making this a PES5 v PES2017 debate. Yes there will always be some things better in PES5 but what about team individuality (sounds like a contradiction). Each team plays different in 2017 and at different times. In 5 teams play pretty much the same, no constant long ball or short ball.

In ML in PES5 the transfer system is broke. CPU doesnt buy your team's players.

It is still a fantastic game but my main reason for moving on is that it is too easy now against the CPU. No matter what stat changes i make or tactics are made it is too easy after 10 years of constant playing. Levels 4, 5, and 6. :(

Without making this a PES5 v PES2017 debate. Yes there will always be some things better in PES5 but what about team individuality (sounds like a contradiction). Each team plays different in 2017 and at different times. In 5 teams play pretty much the same, no constant long ball or short ball.

In ML in PES5 the transfer system is broke. CPU doesnt buy your team's players.

It is still a fantastic game but my main reason for moving on is that it is too easy now against the CPU. No matter what stat changes i make or tactics are made it is too easy after 10 years of constant playing. Levels 4, 5, and 6. :(

Have you tried chenghis tactics ? Teams do play differently with these, not the level of pes 2017 (surely the best thing about it) but still varied. Yeah, i understand it can be easy for you if you played it during 10 years, but for me this game still kicks my ass fairly from time to time, in comparison i find pes 2017 not more difficult, top player is easy and superstar feels scripted sometimes (yet not as scripted as was pes13)

The transfer market in pes 5 is broken yes for sure. But to be honest i prefer to play in +1600 stadiums and have less transfers, than playing in ~10 grounds with no atmosphere in ML. Matter of preference i guess.

Have you tried chenghis tactics ? Teams do play differently with these, not the level of pes 2017 (surely the best thing about it) but still varied. Yeah, i understand it can be easy for you if you played it during 10 years, but for me this game still kicks my ass fairly from time to time, in comparison i find pes 2017 not more difficult, top player is easy and superstar feels scripted sometimes (yet not as scripted as was pes13)

The transfer market in pes 5 is broken yes for sure. But to be honest i prefer to play in +1600 stadiums and have less transfers, than playing in ~10 grounds with no atmosphere in ML. Matter of preference i guess.

Yeh I tried Chenghis' tactics and they are very good but they will not change during the match as the mechanics of the game will not allow that and I still find playing against the CPU pretty easy.

But I still get beat on Professional in ML quite a lot in PES2017. Just out of curiosity how many seasons have you played in ML in PES2017? For me the atmosphere is fantastic during the match, then there is the training, the scouting, managing different teams in different continents, national manager, changing tactics to suit your players and so much that PES5 does not have.

Regarding the cosmetics, I seriously have no interest in all the different stadiums. As i said before, i have played PES5 and WE9LE on the PC with all the stadiums. Yes it looks great, but then I would go back to the PS2 version because the gameplay was better IMO but with less stadiums.

So for me the gameplay is a must above any of the graphics. Heh I sound like I'm against PES5 but not at all it is still fantastic!

Yeh I tried Chenghis' tactics and they are very good but they will not change during the match as the mechanics of the game will not allow that and I still find playing against the CPU pretty easy.

But I still get beat on Professional in ML quite a lot in PES2017. Just out of curiosity how many seasons have you played in ML in PES2017? For me the atmosphere is fantastic during the match, then there is the training, the scouting, managing different teams in different continents, national manager, changing tactics to suit your players and so much that PES5 does not have.

Regarding the cosmetics, I seriously have no interest in all the different stadiums. As i said before, i have played PES5 and WE9LE on the PC with all the stadiums. Yes it looks great, but then I would go back to the PS2 version because the gameplay was better IMO but with less stadiums.

So for me the gameplay is a must above any of the graphics. Heh I sound like I'm against PES5 but not at all it is still fantastic!

CPU actually do change tactics during pes5 games, for example when they are 1-0 up they change for a more defensive formation in the second half most of the time. I repeat the tactics aspect is better in pes 2017, but pes 5 is underestimated in this regard.

Weird to be beaten in professional pes2017 and to find pes5 easy. Maybe that is down to your 10 years experience in pes 5. I didn't play ml on pes 2017, only 20-30 cup games, like i said i see no point playing in ml with so few stadiums (that's not cosmetics btw, it's really content), not to mention that the individuality-lite system pes 2017 has, doesn't provide me any enjoyment in ml, especially when you buy a new player. Changing teams, national manager, training that's gimmick for me, i would gladly exchange it to get back the stats system from pes 5.

Having played both pes5 pc and ps2, i see no difference between them, only a slight delay with user input, but really marginal.

I think we should agree to disagree here. The most important thing is people get enjoyment with pes 2017, others with pes 5, that's down to personnal preferences.

Yes we should definitely agree to disagree :)

I want to make it clear that in no way am I criticising PES5. It has kept me entertained for so many years and, thinking about it, is probably the best game ever IMO because of its longevity. You only have to see the option files that I've worked on in the option files section and how much editing I've done to see how much I love this game.

I suppose in a way I'm pleased that I am enjoying the new one so much because now I don't have to spend half of my life editing PES5 to keep it up to date ;)

Back
Top Bottom