PES 2017: Interview with onlyproevolutions.com

PES Russia

PES Russia
17 January 2014
Russia
PES 2017: Interview with onlyproevolutions.com

6857b26bea4f.png

Interviewer: @PES_Russia
Reviewer: @PES_DNA (Moderator of onlyproevolutions.com)
Source: http://bit.ly/1Y3G65x

@PES_Russia: "We apologize for any imperfections considering our English!"

Your impression

Physical game/Collisions
There is a new stat this year called “Body Balance”. Players like Alexis Sanchez have high body balance so they are difficult to knock off the ball. This stat is different to strength so he’s not going to be able to overpower players in tackles like Paul Pogba could. PES2017 really focuses on bringing out the individuality of players using their stats. Take Giroud for example. If you play a long ball to him, he’s more than likely to win the header, especially if he’s up against a weaker defender. In PES2016, sometimes it felt like it was 50/50, like the player stats were irrelevant. The animations are also improved so all in all the Collisions feel a lot better this year. It’s almost like you feel the physical connection between Control Pad and Player.

Stamina system (changes)
Personally, I didn't feel like the stamina system has changed dramatically. Although, this isn't an easy thing to notice because the gameplay is a lot different this year. PES2017 is a lot slower and realistic compared to PES2016 so you won’t have games where it is completely end to end. I did find that the stamina bar would deplete in a more calculated rate. An aggressive pressuring midfielder would be out of stamina quicker than a Centre Back but once the player was out of stamina I didn't notice a massive impact to the players performance. Sorry that this is not a definitive answer. I would need more time with the game to experiment.

Cons referees
There are times where the Ref should give a Red Card but he gives a Yellow. Also sometimes the Ref is a bit too quick to give a foul and he should maybe play advantage. I would currently rate the Refs 8/10. These are the best Refs we have had in PES for years! If the game is released with these Refs then you wouldn’t be disappointed!

Cons AI
When the AI is losing the game they still don’t really sense that they are losing. Even on Superstar difficultly, you can play the ball around the Defence and only the Striker seems to press hard, where you would expect 3 or 4 players to be hard pressing. (This one of my main points in my Feedback to Konami). Other than that, I didn’t really have any complaints with how the AI played. They played different styles of football depending on the team and what players they had. For example, France and Arsenal would cross the ball for Giroud as they recognize him as a target man. I only played 5 or 6 matches against the AI though, so it’s hard to really identify any major or reoccurring faults. Plus the AI’s performance always alters between Exhibition matches and Competition modes.

Cons GK
It was really hard to fault the GKs. Seriously, they were amazing. Adam Bhatti told us that the Development Team spent months working on GKs. Every aspect of the GKs was built from scratch this year. There is nothing from the PES2016 GKs in PES2017. They are 10/10!

Influence of body position on the success of actions with the ball ("scuffed" shots and passes from difficult situation)
The player position now really matters when it comes to shooting. If your player is off balance or stretching, then he will not shoot with much power or accuracy. Also shots can go a lot wider off target. Your player will now miss the target by some distance if his positioning isn’t good. Adam Bhatti also spoke how Konami have completed reworked the relationship between the ball and the player. You can see this when it comes to shooting. I noticed my player would often cut through the ball when shooting, rather than just striking with his laces or inside/outside of his boot.
Passing – If the ball is in a difficult position for the player, he will take the ball under control first. This slows the game down which is for the best. You can no longer ping pong the ball up the pitch at great speed.

Differences with the system replays FIFA
The replays really look fantastic now. I actually enjoyed watching all the replays because it makes you appreciate the quality of PES2017. The replays are now very similar to the FIFA replay style.

The density of the game/positioning AI (while defence)
I never once found my defenders out of position unless I moved them out. They man mark better and the follow the runners better. They react better to all situations. They were never stood still when your opponent is playing a through ball.

Dribbling and shooting using R2
Dribbling felt better because the players feel heavier and no longer feel floaty. You won’t have much success if you try to dribble around players using Coquelin. PES2017 is very stat based, which is absolutely excellent. The R2 shooting feels better and looks more natural. Also R2 shooting is less OP because the GKs react better to these shots.

New animation
GKs have had 100% new animations. There are loads and loads of new player animations too. I mainly noticed little flicks and touches when the ball is awkward positions.

Match broadcast
The default camera angle is similar to PES2016. I am afraid I didn’t try any other angle. The tactics screens have changed a little, but not dramatically.

7 reasons why the play has become more difficult and interesting
1 . Game speed, it’s more realistic
2. Precise passing, no longer constant super-fast passes.
3. Shot variation
4. passing/crossing variation
5. Player Individuality. Players are now limited to their stats ability. You wont dribble past players with Coquelin or sprint past players with Mertesacker.
6. The defence has more success dealing with through balls and long balls over the defence.
7. Gks, they are excellent. You’ll see a lot of 0-0 scores or low scoring games thanks to the improved GKs.

5 things that need improvement
1. AI needs to realise they are losing and pressure you more.
2. Refs – They really are good but need a little tuning.
3. Pass Assist – I felt Bar 1 is still a bit too Assisted. But that might be me being really accurate with my passing. I am used to using manual controls so naturally I might be pushing the direction perfectly
4. Penalty system – It’s the same as PES2016. We all fed back at the end of the day that we wanted this changed. Konami are taking the feedback seriously.
5. Free Kick System – It’s the same as PES2016. We all fed back at the end of the day that we wanted this changed. Konami are taking the feedback seriously.

@PES_Russia:"We do understand what you fans are interested in, trust us..all the previous articles are posted on official Pro evolution Soccer forum pesfan.com under "Feedback & Support: Have Your Say - Submitted Suggestions":https://forums.pesfan.com/forumdisplay.php?385-Have-Your-Say-Submitted-Suggestions"

Has it been fixed?

You can feel the ball glued (as if magnetized) to the leading foot when dribbling (it’s impossible to lose the ball without impacts)
Not Fixed – But that is me answering the question you have asked. You can’t lose control of the ball while dribbling unless you run into a player, get tackled, or run the ball out of play. I explained above that there is a new relationship between ball and player so the dribbling and animations feel and look a lot better.

Sharp transitions between animations (players regroup too quickly)
Not Fixed – I think you are asking if players regroup quickly if the ball goes for a Goal Kick? There are no quick goal kicks so the players return to standard formation positions.

Maximum speed of the ball after shot and passes is too fast
Fixed – Shot Power felt good and passing is at times a lot slower due to “precise passing”. You can no longer play the zig-zag passes quickly up the pitch. Passing can be slower if the player isn’t in a good position.

It’s too easy for players to take the ball under control after strong pass.
Fixed – The better the player, the better the touch. But it even takes good players longer to control the ball if they receive it at awkward heights.

Stupor of the players (especially after collisions)
Unsure – I think you are asking if the players react slowly after collisions? To be honest, I didn’t really notice. If I didn’t notice then I guess there isn’t an issue with it.

No variability shots (СOM)
Fixed – The COM will now take long range shots if they get the chance.

AI acts very confident and almost with no mistakes
Unsure – I only played on Superstar. They didn’t give the ball away too often but if you play in the hardest level then you’d expect that.

Unrealistic (fantastic) coordination of players. They manage to keep the balance in difficult situations.
Fixed – The players still sometimes might get their shot on target but it will hardly ever go in.

Inability to hit the ball into a striker when throwing the ball by GK
Unsure (9) – I didn’t try any massive throws with the GK. GK throwing did feel better though, Especially with manual controls.

No left-off replays of side episodes, there are only key episodes on the replay
Fixed – In the post-game highlights you’ll see tackles and other little things like player reactions.

Terrible animation of GK falling, terrible jumping (manual control).
Fixed – GKs feel and look amazing.

No intentional fouls (com).
No Fixed – I don’t think I saw an intentional foul, like when the defender fouls your striker when he’s through on goal. They do foul though and sometimes they make slide tackles when they aren’t going to win the ball. I wouldn’t call them fouls intentional though.

Players easily adjust to the ball/the ball finds the player himself (especially evident at corner, input ball). The need to use super cancel, as soon as you have the marker over your player is should be in control of him, not the AI continuing to run him along a rail.
Unsure – I can’t answer this definitively I am afraid. I think they might have been on rails if you didn’t manually control the player using the L1 player select from the corner.

After the transition between episodes players teleport to their default positions instead of staying at the same place
Not Fixed – The players reset unless you are able to take a quick throw in.

Inability to hit the ball into a striker when throwing the ball by GK.
Same as Question (9) above.

AI doesn't always try to play ahead (moving towards the ball)
Fixed – Some teams use Tika-Taka style but they will look to move the ball forwards if the space is there.

3 formation/tactics save slots
Unsure – The tactics/Formations were very limited in this build of the game.

The ball is unbelievably fast and smooth after low crosses, passes (passing has an unrealistically low trajectory (the ball never leaves the ground)
Unsure – I didn’t test a lot of low crosses. If I had to guess then I’d say this is Fixed because there is generally more variation of passes due to the players position and improved ball physics.

Сontact between cleats and turf is not felt (the players move as if they run on the clouds)
Fixed – I never once felt the players were floaty or on ice skates. The players feel a lot more weighted.

High efficiency of the wall game
Unsure – I am afraid I do not understand the question

ea6d24e2d222.jpg

Thus was born an interview..

Q&A

Slow-mo effect should be used in the key moments of the episode?
I can’t remember if the speed changed during the replays. The camera angles do though which makes it feel a proper TV broadcast. The replays are excellent. Many more camera angles have been added.

Does COM control prevents the goalkeeper?
I don’t understand the question I am afraid.

How many fouls per game makes com?
On average I’d say 4 or 5. The COM even had a player sent off against me for 2 yellow cards.

Player shots (pass) by pressing a key, or when it sees fit (later)?
If the ball is at an awkward height the player will control the ball first. Otherwise the player will shoot as soon as his feet are in reasonable distance to the ball.

Anthropometric data play a role in physical contact?
Yes – The individual stats make all the difference in PES2017.

Pace of the game is reduced: reduced speed of the ball, or the speed of movement of players?
The speed has been reduced everywhere. It feels excellent.

Animation tackles the same clumsy (bad) or changed?
I remember spotting one tackle that looked clumsy other than that they all looked ok.

COM reacts to your actions in the attack. And on your game in defense, he also responds?
You can see the COM making tactical changes in the HUD at the bottom of the screen.

COM game is still too perfect?
I was only playing on Superstar level so it’s hard to answer. The COM’s general passing is very accurate but you can intercept their through ball attempts or long balls.

HEART system from PES 2014 is active? The condition of footballers should depend on the footballers successful or unsuccessful actions. This would make players to approach to the game more responsibly.
I don’t think it is called “Heart” anymore. Player “Emotions” can be switched on or off in the settings. I think this has replaced “Heart”. I might be wrong though.

Is it always possible to resume the game quickly after a pause?
Not sure what you mean? You can occasionally take a quick throw in, but not a quick goal kick when all the players are still out of position.

Jogging animation has changed?
Loads and Loads of new animations have been added. I don’t know if the Jogging animation has changed. I have never had a problem with how this looked so I wouldn’t necessarily notice it.

The referee gives a fight?
I don’t understand the question.

Head-shots has changed?
Headers are improved. They are less floaty. Players who are good with their head like Giroud are dangerous.

Now a green lawn, or in PES 2016 (dim)?
We only had one Stadium to use but the grass looked greener and the shadows were reduced.

Contact with the ball/shots/pass feels better?
Yes – you feel connected when you shoot or pass.

Do the players stand up quickly after physical contacts or do they spend a lot of time lying down on the ground?
I didn’t really notice this. It certainly didn’t frustrate me so I think the answer is no.

Do the strikers (СOM) press the goalkeeper?
I fed this back to Konami. I didn’t feel the COM pressured enough especially when they are losing.

Does the goalkeeper (COM) insure the defenders outside the box?
This might be down to the individual GK. GKs like Neuer are very commanding and are always quick off the line.

How often does the AI make long-range shots?
If the COM has the right player and has space, they will shoot.

Pressing (through partners) all as hyperactive?
I think this is better.

BONUS!? NO PROBLEM!
Q&A with @My_Karvey (Founder of onlyproevolutions.com)

fffdefd924e3.jpg

Will shooting be fixed? There's no variation in shots when playing on basic, and advanced and manual feel generally clunky.
Only played with Basic (default) shooting but shots definitely had more variety. Also very noticeable when crossing, ball position has a bigger influence on shot type, trajectory and animations. In general, shooting felt more unpredictable (far post shots can actually go well wide now, rather than always close to the goal like on PES 2016).

Any chance of goalkeepers saving a shot into the bottom corner, or even in some cases, an inch to the side of them?
Yes. Much more reliable for one-one-ones and R2-shots. Between me and Shales, there were several instances where we agreed that certain shots, which were now being saved, would have always gone in on 2016.
And yes, I remember one instance where Oblak got done and pushed the ball out for a corner, even though it was going a few yards wide of the post. I checked this out on Replay mode and it looked great. I wasn't even annoyed that he gave away a corner - at the end of the day, it's realism.

Goalkeepers were generally better than they have been in years, but will more animations be added? The keeper never seems to save with his feet for a start; which could also help with those shots an inch either side. Shots straight at the keeper are often flapped onto a striker, how about having them catch some up against their chest, and even falling to the ground with it sometimes?
Not sure on the exact figure but there are definitely more. Keepers look great now, and are so much more reliable. I saw several foot saves and some truly wonderful second saves (just ask Shales about his moment with Hugo Lloris!)
Although there were some instances where keepers would slide in with their feet, even though (unless I was missing something) they could've picked it up with their hands. But even though it looked kinda funny, the danger was ultimately averted.
As for your last point, yes, now I remember Oblak taking a high shot and going down with the ball to lie on his chest (you know, how time-wasting goalkeepers act). It looked really nice and it was another Reply mode moment!

Will there be any attempt at full control when chasing a ball? The runner is on rails, even pressing a R2 and the tend to run to where the ball is going, rather than cut across and receive it early, Ruins my wingplay! Arrrgh
Sorry for the shitty answer but I'd probably need more time to give a concrete answer re. this. But, from what I remember, it didn't seem hugely different to 2016.

Also, on that point, since the change of engine, you can't always slide tackle in 50-50s, oftentimes giving you the power bar for a long ball instead, has this been fixed?
There was a moment where my defender cleared it instead of putting his put in - but I'd probably need more time investigating this to get a definitive answer.

Last one, but not a biggie. Have skills and feints been made more responsive yet? Generally been slow and clunky since 2014.
Oh yes. Much more responsive and, especially with a Griezmann or Alexis Sanchez, you're actually encouraged to use skill moves because - unlike PES 2016 - you'll profit from appropriately-timed skill moves and turns.

I see that every year, Konami get stick for the limited amount of stadiums in the game. Will the stadium editor make a return? It would solve a lot of problems and headaches if it did. It was never fully explained why it was removed in the first place which causes frustration.
Didn't get an exact figure but there will be more stadiums. Generic ones, as was the one in the demo, especially smaller grounds and ones that are close to the pitch. Not sure about licensed stadia but news should start to flow through over the next few weeks and months.

The referees. Have they been worked on? I play mainly against the CPU and i have only ever had ONE red card given against me (via two yellows) and never been awarded a penalty in eight months of playing PES 2016. It clearly is an area that needs looking at.
They are much better. Not perfect but they are clearly improved. Refs will blow (perhaps a little too quickly) for late challenges and will get their cards out. Although I do remember one time where I used what looked like my last defender to make a clear foul - at the time, I thought it was a red but I only got a yellow.

Goal replays. Replays only show the last few seconds of the goal. All of the build up gets cut from the sequence.
Not sure about post-match highlights but the in-game ones were great. Better angles, more variety of zoomed, the ball was tracked. And from what I remember, the replays included build-up play. I remember I scored a goal from a cross but it included all the triangle and one-two play that I did to get the ball out to the overlapping full-back in the first place.
As for Replay mode, it was hard to judge because everything was sped up so quickly. Will have to check this out at the next playtest, if there is one.

Have overpowered throughballs been fixed?
With the improved defender AI, I think so yes. It's much harder to make chances now. I remember playing Atletico once and even though I gave absolutely everything to break them down, I couldn't get past them. It was great!

Do finesse shots still look awkward and unrealistic?
They looked fine from what I remember.

Is scoring goals still lifeless and boring?
I certainly enjoyed scoring. Much harder than PES 2016 so that's maybe why it was so satisfying.

Do nets move realistically when a goal is scored? (Please ask them to copy Football Kingdom nets)
Yes, the nets looked great. Plus, Adam confirmed that PES 2017 will include 4 different net types.

Are headers still as weak and floaty?
Much better on 2017. Lots more headers directed into the ground, giving crosses and corners especially a greater sense of unpredictability. He may be slow but players like Giroud will be really useful on 2017!

Do turfs look better?
Yes, definitely improved. Graphics in general look great, due to improved lighting, and Adam also said that they'll get even better between now and launch.

Are day matches with horrible eye burning shadows still present?
Shadows are definitely less harsh. No need to always play night matches anymore.

Are slide tackles still as over powered?
Similar to 2016 but with the improved refs, you won't get away with mis-timed ones anymore.

Does knocking the ball on with double tap work every time?
Didn't use it a lot but when I did, it worked well. Really useful for speedy wingers and full-backs.

Will fluid formation be set to ON as default?
On this code, it was turned off as default.

Are the developers able to implement something to stop constant pressurising during online matches?
From what I gathered, the stamina system is there to help combat pressure spammers.

Will goalkeepers come off their line every time I hold triangle. This isn't the case at the moment and needs fixing
They were much more responsive when bringing them out - though I do remember one time where my GK wouldn't come off his line to collect the ball, instead he stood still and waited for the ball to run out of play. If I remember correctly, he could've got there and picked it up.

Has the advantage rule been fixed?
Yes. As mentioned above, refs will blow (maybe too quickly at times) and hand out cards for late fouls.

Do your players make more realistic off the ball movement?
Yes, definitely. A big leap from 2016, especially with attacking full-backs - Monreal and Bellerin were so good to play with!

Will my players actually suffer injuries as a result of tackles during matches in PES2017?
Unfortunately, injuries were locked and turned off in this particular code. Ideally, this option won't be greyed out for the next playtest.

You should have kept it in the same thread or put it in the playtest impressions

Those we need to remove the topic? We did not know how to do it best. Excuse us if we have done wrong.

Physical game/Collisions
There is a new stat this year called “Body Balance”. ....
AAAand.. here you lost me ! I refuse to read more.

I can not accept the opinion of a man can say such a thing and have no elementary knowledge of the PES series.

Have a nice day .

Back
Top Bottom