PES 2011 Penalties - Help!

Clockender

is back...but for how long?
27 November 2001
East Lower, Block 13
Arsenal FC
Playing on PS3.

Love the game but getting a penalty in the game is a nightmare...I have practiced and practiced but I just don't get it. The left stick seems so sensitive. It either goes straight down the middle or high, wide and handsome. Can anyone help me please? Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Assuming the pen is at the right goal....I press square to start the run up, move the stick down every so slightly to put it to the keepers left and it goes wide. I have hardly moved the stick. Any less and it will just go down the middle. So frustrating....

Playing on PS3.

Love the game but getting a penalty in the game is a nightmare...I have practiced and practiced but I just don't get it. The left stick seems so sensitive. It either goes straight down the middle or high, wide and handsome. Can anyone help me please? Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Assuming the pen is at the right goal....I press square to start the run up, move the stick down every so slightly to put it to the keepers left and it goes wide. I have hardly moved the stick. Any less and it will just go down the middle. So frustrating....

Just Training Mode ;) I put the ball wherever I Want after a good work out

D pad advice is best, for me on the PS3 anyway. I had trouble with the stick to, but I can bury pens with power or a placement now with the D pad.

After all those years playing the game with the D pad, all it's good for now on this version is pens.

This is how I do pens (towards the goal on the right of the screen);

Tap square to start run up
Hold up or down (to aim left or right) for just under 2 seconds, then centre the stick/release the d-pad, with poor penalty takers don't hold it as long as they are inconsistent with their aim.
(Optional) After choosing the direction, hold right for just under 1 second to add elevation to the strike, you can hold left for a short time for a chipped pen but I find these to look very unrealistic.

As Fitiello said, use training mode until you're used to it :).

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to "feather" the left analog up or down (pitch view) after you've chosen your shot power. Just a quick flick of the stick will do if you're not trying to blast them into the edge of the net. Once you realize how sensitive that feathering motion is you'll realize the concept behind the penalty system.

So tapping shoot to start the run up also selects the shot power? Sorry but I didn't quite understand the "feathering" concept lol. The step by step by Rob92 was good ;) Cheers mate.

Tapping shoot means you're taking a shot along the ground. Holding it down for longer will make the shot float higher. Think of feathering as how quickly you push the left analog stick up or down away from its neutral position. For example, you can hold the stick down for one second as opposed to flicking it for half a second. The longer you push the left analog up or down (pitch view) away from its neutral position, the farther left or right of the goal the PK will go. Did that make sense?

I thought there was no difference in the pen whether you tapped or held shoot?

As far as I'm aware you can't change the power on the pen (unless you chip it, they are slower). I lightly tap shoot all the time to start the run up and I've blasted them into the top corners...

I thought there was no difference in the pen whether you tapped or held shoot?-

As far as I'm aware you can't change the power on the pen (unless you chip it, they are slower). I lightly tap shoot all the time to start the run up and I've blasted them into the top corners...

There isnt, that was PES 2010's penalty system. The power is generated by the players stats, the height dictated by the length of time you tap towards the goal, just before you player strikes the ball.

Last edited:
This is how I do pens (towards the goal on the right of the screen);

Tap square to start run up
Hold up or down (to aim left or right) for just under 2 seconds, then centre the stick/release the d-pad, with poor penalty takers don't hold it as long as they are inconsistent with their aim.
(Optional) After choosing the direction, hold right for just under 1 second to add elevation to the strike, you can hold left for a short time for a chipped pen but I find these to look very unrealistic.

As Fitiello said, use training mode until you're used to it :).

thanks rob i've finally got it been practicing for bit.

Back
Top Bottom