PES 2009 IGN Review - what a shame

I'm dissapointed with the gameplay this year. I only play BAL mode now, as the rest of the game is just poor. Tried playing champs league mode again the other day but the gameplay is so frustrating I turned it off.

CHANGED MY GOD DAMN DEFENDER FROM THE GUY I WAS MARKING TO THE FRIGGIN GUY 20 YARDS AWAY DOING SWEET F'ALL!!!!!! GOD DAMN YOU! COST ME A GOAL.

So yea it can be frustrating.

Fifa 09 on Xbox isnt that great , have been playing for month now, its good game with horrible ball physic, which results in same goals over and over again, when u play online noone is even trying to shoot from more then 16 meters ! , its ridicoulus , same goals over and over again, going alone on the goal and scooores :-)), this is football ? I dont think so.

Sorry, I love it. Back to the same familiar gameplay - sure there are some issues, but they are manageable. As much as I liked FIFA - the gameplay lacked depth, the custom tactics didn't help the fact that: there were barely an fouls, route one football (direct passes straight to forwards no matter where the AI was on the pitch), poor manager mode (for cpu teams same teams, players until they retire or get injured - so same starting line up...no thanks), every game felt like the same one - just too generic.

EA can pay IGN and whoever else to review PES poorly - I went with my gut with PES and grabbed the only copy from EBGames - best decision I've ever made. Just remember that if someone is making money off a review - it's probably biased or is based on other motives (money).

Am waiting on a PS2 review too, but i have to say that after playing the PS2 vesion for a few weeks now that i think this is the best PES i have ever played i love it and so much more than the next gen crap of PES and FIFA although at least FIFA tries to play a good game. I thought i would not find another to rival JL-WE9 but i have in this, yep it's got it bugs like the sub-bug, less stadiums, no champions league and so on, but in the gamplay it just rocks.

Sorry, I love it. Back to the same familiar gameplay - sure there are some issues, but they are manageable. As much as I liked FIFA - the gameplay lacked depth, the custom tactics didn't help the fact that: there were barely an fouls, route one football (direct passes straight to forwards no matter where the AI was on the pitch), poor manager mode (for cpu teams same teams, players until they retire or get injured - so same starting line up...no thanks), every game felt like the same one - just too generic.

EA can pay IGN and whoever else to review PES poorly - I went with my gut with PES and grabbed the only copy from EBGames - best decision I've ever made. Just remember that if someone is making money off a review - it's probably biased or is based on other motives (money).

IGN have business ties with Konami, so dont think so. Should I post tons of reviews from across the web? Mate, PES 2009 is piss poor. Thats why it got crap reviews. Here take a look belowhttp://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/949452.asp. Think EA paid all these people fro their reviews? Dont think so.

IGN have business ties with Konami, so dont think so. Should I post tons of reviews from across the web? Mate, PES 2009 is piss poor. Thats why it got crap reviews. Here take a look belowhttp://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/949452.asp. Think EA paid all these people fro their reviews? Dont think so.

No need - thanks for the clarification and pointing out my mistake. But in all honesty, which game for gameplay would you rather have this year - Fifa or PES? I know it depends on what type of gamer you are, but in all sports games to me - the gameplay has to the top of the list - and according to all those reviews, above an 8.0 seems pretty accurate.

Matt10, the thing is you didn't play Fifa properly. I give you some tips:
- Play professional difficulty
- Play semi passing and sometimes, if you feel so, try manual passing
- Put your shooting to semi and everything else to manual

And bang! you've got a game that totally surpasses the robotic experience of PES. You can say you prefer a simple easy to play and hollow game like PES, you've got the right to do so. But you can't convince anyone that PES is more of a simulation than FIFA or a better product overall, because everybody will laugh at you.

Matt10, the thing is you didn't play Fifa properly. I give you some tips:
- Play professional difficulty
- Play semi passing and sometimes, if you feel so, try manual passing
- Put your shooting to semi and everything else to manual

And bang! you've got a game that totally surpasses the robotic experience of PES. You can say you prefer a simple easy to play and hollow game like PES, you've got the right to do so. But you can't convince anyone that PES is more of a simulation than FIFA or a better product overall, because everybody will laugh at you.

Been there done that, sir. Played manual everything actually and had a couple of good stints. Problem was the route-one football and overall there is no longevity knowing that the MM mode is broken. FIFA made some big strides this year, but the gameplay issues are too glaring to be called a simulation. Manual passing doesn't change the fact that you can easily tackle the ball from anyone, no matter who you play.

I've seriously tried everything with FIFA. Even tried to change the ratings as Bluchump (from FIFA uk forums) suggested, not to mention his custom tactics - the game play is just lacking a couple things, and sadly those things are game breakers.

I believe PES is more of a simulation, not for its controls - I actually wish Konami would implement manual everything there similar to FIFA. I just think the core game play represents the fundamentals of football as we know it.

Oks Matt, I sort of understand some of your opinions while I disagree on others.

I've found Fifa in 1 vs 1 multiplayer to be a blast with my friends. We change squads so often and play semi/ manual and we really like and enjoy the game a lot. We feel a lot the differences between players / teams and we really feel it's more of a simulator than pes. Pes is a kind of simulation of superstars at their peek with on-railing automated everything to us, we can't go back to it right now.

I do agree on the tackling, that's the most important thing to focus for fifa 2010 in our opinion. But we've also improved our dribbling skills and our pace control skill so we can dribble now and then and it really makes a difference in the game (though you need a good player in order to do so, while in Pes I really can dribble anyone with any player if I try hard on it).

At the end, there's one very good game with some faults (fifa) against a game I've played millions of times and now in a very downgraded form.

Am waiting on a PS2 review too, but i have to say that after playing the PS2 vesion for a few weeks now that i think this is the best PES i have ever played i love it and so much more than the next gen crap of PES and FIFA although at least FIFA tries to play a good game. I thought i would not find another to rival JL-WE9 but i have in this, yep it's got it bugs like the sub-bug, less stadiums, no champions league and so on, but in the gamplay it just rocks.

i totally agree!

Back
Top Bottom