OFC Nations Cup 2012

Artem

International
9 June 2010
St. Petersburg
Zenit SPb
OFCcup.png

Hi all again! You may remember my review of the African Cup 2012 and today I want to introduce you to something interesting. As we know, many in Europe and the World are looking forward to the biggest event of this June, Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine, but hardly anyone know that in distant lands, rather islands of the Pacific Ocean, from 1 to June 10 is the main event for football in Oceania, OFC Nations Cup 2012. Because Oceania is quite far away from me, I can not watch the matches of this tournament, but I will try to provide the greatest stuff for your interest. I hope you would be interested and someone would support me in this, although I certainly understand that all your thoughts already in Poland and Ukraine (like my :P). But anyway, below will be given the results, highlights, tables, descriptions of past games, in short all the same thing as I did before. I hope to illuminate all the matches of this colorful tournament.

Some info about the tournament:

"The OFC Nations Cup is an international association football tournament held among the Oceania Football Confederation (OFC) member nations. It was held every two years from 1996 to 2004; before 1996 there were two other tournaments held at irregular intervals, under the name Oceania Nations Cup. No competition was held in 2006, but in the 2008 edition, which also acts as a qualification tournament for the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup and for a play-off for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, the New Zealand All Whites emerged as winners." - Wikipedia. :P

This year the tournament will be held in the capital city of Honiara Solomon Islands at the Lawson Tama Stadium, which seats 25,000 spectators. The matches will be held from 1 to June 10. The tournament involved 8 teams, divided into two groups (A and B), 6 of which were classified automatically, 1 team as a host of tournament and last team through classification round (sorry, but even for me this system is little understood). Each team will play in group three matches, then the top two teams from each group, only 4, fall into the playoffs, where on the Olympic system and continue its participation in the tournament. Final will be held June 10 at the same stadium. Finally, I may add that the teams passed in the playoffs, will be classified in the last round of selection for the World Cup 2014 in Brazil in Oceania's zone.

Well, I wish you a pleasant viewing, because The OFC Nations Cup 2012 in Solomon Islands has officially started! :BEER:

Here are the compositions of the participating teams at the start of the tournament:

Squads:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Celebration%20WEB.jpg

TAHITI CHAMPION!!!

Group Stage

Group A

22px-Flag_of_French_Polynesia.svg.png
Tahiti Nui.................9
22px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
New Caledonia.........6
22px-Flag_of_Vanuatu.svg.png
Vanuatu...................3
22px-Flag_of_Samoa.svg.png
Samoa.....................0

Group B

22px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png
New Zealand............7
22px-Flag_of_the_Solomon_Islands.svg.png
Solomon Islands......5
22px-Flag_of_Fiji.svg.png
Fiji............................2
22px-Flag_of_Papua_New_Guinea.svg.png
Papua New Guinea...1

Knockout phase

Semifinals

Tahiti Nui 1-0 Solomon Islands

Goals: J. Tehau 15'

New Zealand 0-2 New Caledonia

Goals: Kaï 60'; Gope-Fenepej 90+2'

FINAL

Tahiti Nui 1-0 New Caledonia

Goals: Chong Hue 11'

Third place match

Solomon Islands 3-4 New Zealand

Goals: Teleda 48'; Totori 54', 88' - Wood 11', 25', 30'; Smeltz 90+4'

Medals

22px-Flag_of_French_Polynesia.svg.png
Tahiti Nui (1 Title)
New Caledonia
New Zealand

Best Goalscorers of tournament

Jacques Haeko.......6

:BYE::BYE::BYE:

Last edited:
Fixtures for Round 1:

Friday, 1 June

Samoa 1-10 Tahiti Nui

Vanuatu 2-5 New Caledonia

Saturday, 2 June

Fiji 0-1 New Zealand

Solomon Islands 1-0 Papua New Guinea

;)

Fixtures for Round 2:

Sunday, 3 June

Vanuatu 5-0 Samoa

Tahiti Nui 4-3 New Caledonia

Monday, 4 June

Papua New Guinea 1-2 New Zealand

Fiji 0-0 Solomon Islands

;)

Last edited:
Some weird and crazy matches in this tournament. :P

Official Highlights

Papua New Guinea
22px-Flag_of_Papua_New_Guinea.svg.png
vs
New Zeland 1:2

YouTube - 2012.06.04 HIGHLIGHTS OFC NATIONS CUP - PNG vs NZL

New zealand again surprising, because today they are playing with one of the weakest teams in this tournament. But as they say in Russia, "brevity - the sister of talent", it seems it is about them, because three points is three points. Well, well done New Zealand, as expected, goes to the semifinals. :P

Fiji
22px-Flag_of_Fiji.svg.png
vs
22px-Flag_of_the_Solomon_Islands.svg.png
Solomon Islands 0:0

YouTube - 2012.06.04 HIGHLIGHTS OFC NATIONS CUP- FIJ vs SOL

The first draw of the tournament, and goalless, but even so, the match has not lost its fascination. Damn it, this tournament may soon become a one from favorite for me. :))

Some weird and crazy matches in this tournament. :P
You right, mate, it's just an amazing tournament. ;)

That and time has come for decisive matches at this tournament, someone has already decided everything for himself, but someone else will do it. Well, wait and see, it will be interesting.

Fixtures for Round 3:

Tuesday, 5 June

New Caledonia 9-0 Samoa

Tahiti Nui 4-1 Vanuatu

Wednesday, 6 June

Papua New Guinea 1-1 Fiji

New Zealand 1-1 Solomon Islands

;)

Last edited:
Just watched all the highlights mate, massive work! Thanks for posting this as it was really enjoyable watching these smaller countries facing (almost :P) equally matched teams.:)

Just watched all the highlights mate, massive work! Thanks for posting this as it was really enjoyable watching these smaller countries facing (almost :P) equally matched teams.:)
Thank you, buddy. I do this to people living thousands of miles from the Pacific to know that there may also be an interesting football, even more interesting than some of the games of the European giants. :P

australia are asian now and they have been for a long time lol..
and thx for the vids artem;)

Teams moved to Semifinals:

Logo_Footer_FTF.jpg
Logo_Footer_FCF.jpg
Logo_Footer_NZF.jpg
Logo_Footer_SIFF.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Fixtures for Semi-finals:

Friday, 8 June

Tahiti Nui 1-0 Solomon Islands

New Zealand 0-2 New Caledonia

;)

Last edited:
2012 OFC Nations Cup FINAL:

Tahiti Nui 1-0 New Caledonia

Sunday 10 June 2012 - 04:00 (UTC)
Honiara, Solomon Islands

Stadium: Lawson Tama Stadium

Lawson_Tama.jpg

And also ...

Third place match

Solomon Islands 3-4 New Zealand

Sunday 10 June 2012 - 00:00 (UTC)
Honiara, Solomon Islands

Stadium: Lawson Tama Stadium

:P

Last edited:
Well, I like many of the last times I say that the next world tournament is over, this time it's Oceanic Cup. This tournament has brought some surprises, but as the saying goes, "the strongest wins." I also liked to watch reviews of games with so far from my home tournament, I hope the next time I also will watch these amazing and unpredictable matches. I hope football in Oceania will continue to evolve, because now it is clear that he had made a number of tangible steps forward in its development, but still falls short to the rest of the continental championships. Separately, good luck Tahiti in Confederations Cup and maybe even in World Cup 2014 in Brazil, of course if they can get through the last round of selection in the area of ​​OFC, but it then, but now they can only congratulate on their first title of Oceania Champions Cup, well done lads!

Thanks you to those few who supported me with this, I hope you liked my reviews. And finally, say goodbye, because The OFC Nations Cup 2012 in Solomon Islands has officially finished! Good luck!
093.gif

The-Solomon-Islands-006.jpg

P.S If you're interested, here you can find the official website of the Football Federation of Oceania. ;)

Back
Top Bottom