Mix'n Match (Winning Eleven)

MKC

Garra! Força! Tradição!
16 May 2019
Curitiba, Brazil
Coritiba F.C.
We often see comments along the lines of "I wish we could take this element from _ and this other element from _ so we could have the perfect football video game" and as fans of the genre, who have played dozens of these installments, it's only natural we'll think like this, it's not even a real decision, it just comes to us, we start playing a new one and immediately our brains start making the comparisons, and quickly we start thinking things like "I preferred the shooting of the previous one... but passing is better" and other things like that. With that in mind, I've decided to make a thread for a little fun, if we could make our perfect Winning Eleven installments, by taking elements from previous ones, how would that look like for each of us? Well, as the OP of the thread I suppose it's only fair that I kick things off, it'll be fun to see what everyone thinks:

1. Branding
Name: Winning Eleven to me is just a better name than ISS/PES, and especially eFootball, it's perfect and gets around the football/soccer debate.
Logo: I feel that the ideal logo would be something like Winning Eleven 2002 (PS1) as it looks iconic to me for some reason.

2. Interface & UX
Menus: PES2011 was just so sophisticated, I have no idea how and why they've never made something like it again... or why eFootball's are so bad.
OST: Once again PES2011 was just special, there was something about Konami around this time that just had so much soul and care.
Scoreboards (Match HUD): PES2019's are the closest we've had to something sophisticated in this front.
Pause (Screen): I do enjoy having stats show up while I pause... but I still like to see what's going on, so PES2011 for me due to the transparency.

3. Graphics
Turfs/Grass: PES2019's were just incredible, no idea how everything that came after it was so much worse...
Nets: Once again PES2011 to me was just better than what Konami produced after it for some reason, they really tried with this one.
Players (Models): PES2018 has very good player anatomy overall, they look sleek and realistic.
Kits (Models): Once again I'll go for PES2018 because unlike what came after it the kits didn't look too baggy here.
Lighting: PES2019 was fantastic on this front yet again, love how they actually went all out for graphics on this one, a fantastic job.

4. Modes
Master League: PES2012 had the most ambition to me, from the ones I've played, talking to the players was nice, even if they pissed me off.
Become a Legend: PES2010 was the only time I got serious into this mode, and I loved having to play training matches to be selected, felt real.
League/Cup: Anything that had both League and Cup (So PES2013 is out of this pool) and has the Konami Cup, allowing me to customize a cup.
Online: I don't care much about online modes, so anything goes really.
Editor: PES2021 because I can genuinely make kits look any way I want by editing them on my PC and porting them over, also like the font selection.

5. Gameplay
Passing (Assisted): PES2012 had a ton of options that felt different from one another, and it was good experimenting with them and seeing pass error.
Passing (Manual): PES2018 just has perfect manual passing for me, I can really put the ball where I want in the most satisfactory way possible.
Shooting (Assisted): PES2015 had a shooting system where it felt good to score long shots and felt good to score tap ins, it was just fun to me.
Dribbling: I don't know why, but even though PES2012 feels more limited than what came after, I find it to be more enjoyable and just 360º enough.
Tackling: PES2021 has players with real weight on them and getting a tackle feels satisfying because of it.
Defending (General): I feel that eFootball was inspired by PES2012's attempt at giving the jockey more of a focus, and between them PES2012 takes it.
Teammate AI: PES2015 is when I felt most that my teammates were working with me and not the other way around.
CPU AI: I have a hard time choosing this because I feel most installments I've played fail here, but PES2015 had decent variety, so I go for this.
Difficulty: PES2021 has a Regular/Professional difficulty settings that feel challenging while not pissing me off, which is what I prefer.

6. Options
Nations/Clubs (Licenses): I think having both Brazilian divisions is crucial so PES2021 this one for me.
Time & Weather (Settings): PES2019 had snow on it and it looked nice, so it takes it.
Kits (Settings): PES5 is the only one that let us mix'n match kits, so it has to win it.
Balls: I'll go for whatever has the most balls, so PES2021 probably.
Stadiums: We had every La Liga stadium on PES2013, so it has to take it.

P.S. No need to follow this quick model I came up with, if you want to go for something simpler, or more complicated, feel free to do so! I'm excited to see what everyone's ideal Winning Eleven's going to look like, I know that if something like what I described above came out... I probably wouldn't be seen outside for a few days, maybe even weeks or something, but Konami are bastards and will never give me anything like it... hopefully I build a PC soon enough so I can play PES2021 with mods eventually.

1. Branding
Name: To me, Pro Evolution Soccer is the best/classic title. One that should've lasted forever. :)
Logo: Winning Eleven 10. Loved the Logo. Would've loved to have seen "Pro Evolution Soccer" with this design.
WE10.png

2. Interface & UX
Menus: Have to agree with @MKC. PES 2011's Menus were the best. So stylish and well done! Loved the graphics effects. Also really liked PES 3's menu for some reason. It has that early 2000's "vision of the future" look to them, kind of like the Matrix, which I find cool.
OST: In terms of the "Vanilla unmodded" Soundtrack, I gotta go with PES 2009 for the sheer number of selectable tracks (there's like 70 or something) and great selection of genres, and in terms of quality, PES 2010 (Stereophonics!)
Pause (Screen): I really haven't paid too much attention to Pause screens.... But I'll say PES 2021 for the number of stats shown!

3. Graphics
Turfs/Grass: This is a tough one. In terms of Palette, gotta say PES 2010. Beautiful, gorgeous colors. In terms of more modern games, probably PES 2018 or PES 2019. 2018 has a "video game" look which is really fittinig, and PES 2019's lighting is really nice.
Nets: Funnily enough, I've never paid much attention to nets. :LOL:
Players (Models): Agree with @MKC. PES 2018's player models were really nice, with a cool "comic-book" lighting to them that added to its originality.
Kits (Models): PES 2019's kits look sharp to me, but I don't really notice the kits' quality too much.
Lighting: PES 2010. No question about it. Hands down. I don't know what Konami used as inspiration in this edition, but the lighting is breathtaking, especially for a game of its time.

4. Modes
Master League: I'm not a huge fan of micro-managing (PES 2011 and especially PES 2012 seemed over-complicated to me). In terms of an ML experience, I will probably go for PES 2021 for the cutscenes (I actually like them and do care about good ones!), PES 4-6 for the Funds system (so original) and overall formula which works REALLY well, and PES 2010 for a nice balance of ML Options/streamlined experience.
Become a Legend: I really want to try PES 2010's Become a Legend.
League/Cup: I love to play customizable cups with a wide array of teams from all over the world. I'd have to say anything from PES 2017-2021.
Online: I don't really play online too much. I'm pretty much an offline gamer. :)
Editor: PES 2021. Editing kits, faces, stats, everything is really easy.

5. Gameplay
Passing (Assisted): PES 2014. It has a really nice variety of pass assistance.
Passing (Manual): Not really a manual player. :)
Shooting (Assisted): Even though long shots are a bit overpowered, I really like PES 2017's shooting system. It's just really fun.
Dribbling: PES 2013. I loved the fact that it was so easy and intuitive to pull off dribble moves (only with right stick!)
Tackling: PES 2021. No question. The Physicality of it is awesome.
Defending (General): PES 5, without a doubt! Defending in PES 5 is an art, not a science. :) Timing, precision, and overall feel of the defensive shape are crucial if you don't want to end up with several yellow cards.
Teammate AI: PES2017 had awesome teammate AI. Players making runs, being aware at all times. Really liked it.
CPU AI: Straight out of the box, I'll say once again: PES 2017. Awesome vanilla gameplay, and one that needs little to no modding.
Difficulty: This is a real tough one.... But I'll say: with the Superstar added mod, PES 6. Games feel really really fair and every win and loss seems like a product of skill, playing style, stats, and style. Very balanced.

6. Options
Nations/Clubs (Licenses): Agreed with @MKC. It has to be PES 2021 (Brasileirao B!!)
Time & Weather (Settings): PES 2009 and 2010. Loved the rain effects, heavy and gloomy. Lots of atmosphere.
Kits (Settings): I'm not quite sure what this means.... I usually like to play with one alternate maximum, haha.
Balls: PES 2021, nice variety of balls and designs. :)
Stadiums: PES 2011-2013, because of a great feature which I wish never disappeared: Stadium Creator! One of my favorite PES features ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: MKC
Back
Top Bottom