Microsoft Flight Simulator [PC/Xbox]

el niche

Premiership
23 September 2013
Miami, FL
Karpaty Krosno
I don't know if anyone else is excited about this game. But man, of all the PS5/ Xbox X next gen announcements this game for me is of the few that looks next gen and has blown my mind. A nice relaxing flight sim with the option to make it a bit more technical and realistic. The aspect of streaming landscapes based on Bing maps and creating buildings generated by AI based in this looks amazing, all with options of realtime weather and real time air traffic Hoping my PC can handle it.

Release date Aug 18

this is one of those rare exclusive titles i am peeking jealously over the fence for. not sure if i would spent many hours in it... but it just looks breathtaking!
Forza Motorsport Series is another one!
i wish they'd offer more exclusives that really stand out for me. never had an X myself... ;)

Last edited:
Of all the games I have seen, this is one title that looks clearly next gen..
The level of detail I have seen is incredible and the use of cloud servers and completely realistic terrain and maps.

They are even adding VR at the end of the year, now if you were a massive flight sim fan, and had the neccessary flight controllers, I can only imagine it would be absolutely breath taking experience.

Only concern is, looks like a title half built for the future as I would expect an awful lot of PC's to struggle running this as intended.

Only concern is, looks like a title half built for the future as I would expect an awful lot of PC's to struggle running this as intended.

I agree. My PC barely meets the Minimum requirements as I have a AMD RX570. I'm just hoping the terrain can be streamed nicely so I can see my house.
I'm sure all of the YouTube videos are from people running with monster graphic cards... I don't have 4k TV so I hope with some dialed down settings it can still look beautiful

I agree. My PC barely meets the Minimum requirements as I have a AMD RX570. I'm just hoping the terrain can be streamed nicely so I can see my house.
I'm sure all of the YouTube videos are from people running with monster graphic cards... I don't have 4k TV so I hope with some dialed down settings it can still look beautiful

It looks incredible in some of the videos.
Just imagine how it will look once you get all the 3rd party mods and downloadable content you used to get with previous versions, with much higher detailed terrain and planes.

Give this a year of patching and mods and it will look twice as good.

It looks incredible in some of the videos.
Just imagine how it will look once you get all the 3rd party mods and downloadable content you used to get with previous versions, with much higher detailed terrain and planes.

Give this a year of patching and mods and it will look twice as good.
I’d like to know more. :)
In the past titles, were the ground textures streamed as well? How does that mod work?

As much as I like the visuals, and that is just one part of “next gen” for me, the physics are impressive too!

It’s a niche title for sure, but I bet MS is looking to get the casual audience on board as well. Should be playable with a controller and I like that.
There sure is a flight stick from MS available... maybe some other accessories.

Any flight enthusiast here in the forum?!

I’d like to know more. :)
In the past titles, were the ground textures streamed as well? How does that mod work?

As much as I like the visuals, and that is just one part of “next gen” for me, the physics are impressive too!

It’s a niche title for sure, but I bet MS is looking to get the casual audience on board as well. Should be playable with a controller and I like that.
There sure is a flight stick from MS available... maybe some other accessories.

Any flight enthusiast here in the forum?!

The ground textures weren't streamed previously, but buyable mod packs allowed at the time near photo realistic imagery of the ground - I don't know how it works, but there might be a case of you could replace the streaming textures with local files.
Airports and maybe cities will most likely receive mods to improve building textures and layouts.
The main mods will be for aircrafts, with new liveries and potentially more planes.

It is an incredibly niche market, but clearly makes Microsoft profit and I don't know how it will work on console, but I would say you certainly need a flight yoke or very least a force feedback joystick to make the most of the game - But again Microsoft will release a new controller in time for release on Xbox.

When the last version Microsoft Flight Sim X was released and I worked in Game at the time, we used to have some guy who came in whenever new scenery and plane packs were released, and he used to spend £100 - £200 a time and not seemed bothered by paying that much money out.
It is a niche market, but it really seems like the type of people who play these type of games are the type of money no object people, and the majority will probably very happily all be buying the Deluxe Edition.

I personally wouldn't buy all the equipment to play the game, but if I could play any game VR with a full setup this would be it - Well at least until they release VR Leisure Suit Larry.

EDIT I FOUND SOME OF THE PACKS THE GUY USED TO BUY:-
https://www1.getmapping.com/webshop/Web/Home/Static/ProductsAndServices/Simulation.aspx

The ground textures weren't streamed previously, but buyable mod packs allowed at the time near photo realistic imagery of the ground - I don't know how it works, but there might be a case of you could replace the streaming textures with local files.
Airports and maybe cities will most likely receive mods to improve building textures and layouts.
The main mods will be for aircrafts, with new liveries and potentially more planes.

It is an incredibly niche market, but clearly makes Microsoft profit and I don't know how it will work on console, but I would say you certainly need a flight yoke or very least a force feedback joystick to make the most of the game - But again Microsoft will release a new controller in time for release on Xbox.

When the last version Microsoft Flight Sim X was released and I worked in Game at the time, we used to have some guy who came in whenever new scenery and plane packs were released, and he used to spend £100 - £200 a time and not seemed bothered by paying that much money out.
It is a niche market, but it really seems like the type of people who play these type of games are the type of money no object people, and the majority will probably very happily all be buying the Deluxe Edition.

I personally wouldn't buy all the equipment to play the game, but if I could play any game VR with a full setup this would be it - Well at least until they release VR Leisure Suit Larry.

EDIT I FOUND SOME OF THE PACKS THE GUY USED TO BUY:-
https://www1.getmapping.com/webshop/Web/Home/Static/ProductsAndServices/Simulation.aspx
So that would mean a lot of data, when installed locally. Cant imagine the whole world fitting on any drive.
Anyway. I’m glad the streaming features make it into games and the cloud is used more effective (by the looks of it).
Last gen I was hoping for the big impact but it seems like i had to wait till this gen.

Yeah. If you are deeper than casual into that stuff... you are easily paying those sums.
Been planning a new racing cockpit myself (again). ^^

So that would mean a lot of data, when installed locally. Cant imagine the whole world fitting on any drive.
Anyway. I’m glad the streaming features make it into games and the cloud is used more effective (by the looks of it).
Last gen I was hoping for the big impact but it seems like i had to wait till this gen.

As I understand it you can play without an internet connection, however the textures wont be high res and detailed (probably mostly generic). I don't believe there is an option to download the data and play with it locally with all the details as that would be petabytes of data space. One of the youtubers played for 10 hours and it ended up streaming ~7GB of data with full detail.

I'm not an enthusiast by any means (I also have friends that dropped more than 500U$ on planes and scenery for FSX), But I just enjoy a laid back simulator, and it will give you the option to be more arcade (damage, weather effects on the plane, physics, etc).

I'm going to try to use it with a controller/KB... like I said, I'm very casual flight sim fan, but I just love checking out the scenery while I relax at home... I have so many places I want to visit.... just look at the video flying through cities.....

Incredible video..

I just watched a video online and they showed off the difference between Ultra, High and Medium.

The guy stated that HIGH is probably the best settings as it is the best mix between detail and playability.
He stated Medium settings lose quite a lot of the terrain textures and there is a clear visible difference between High and Medium, he did go on though to state that like RDR 2 even on Medium settings it still looks a alot better than most games on the market today.

As I understand it you can play without an internet connection, however the textures wont be high res and detailed (probably mostly generic). I don't believe there is an option to download the data and play with it locally with all the details as that would be petabytes of data space. One of the youtubers played for 10 hours and it ended up streaming ~7GB of data with full detail.

I'm not an enthusiast by any means (I also have friends that dropped more than 500U$ on planes and scenery for FSX), But I just enjoy a laid back simulator, and it will give you the option to be more arcade (damage, weather effects on the plane, physics, etc).

I'm going to try to use it with a controller/KB... like I said, I'm very casual flight sim fan, but I just love checking out the scenery while I relax at home... I have so many places I want to visit.... just look at the video flying through cities.....

Must admit, this looks absolutely incredible.

It's going to be on console as well right?
If so, I'm so getting this one!

Yep, just X1. I wonder how it would play with all the knobs and using a controller. Hopefully they figured something easy out to use controller so I can use on PC as well....

Yep and free with game pass.

AND Game pass correct....... Jeez, microsoft killing it putting those games as soon as they are released there....

Yep, just X1. I wonder how it would play with all the knobs and using a controller. Hopefully they figured something easy out to use controller so I can use on PC as well....
I hope there's a few settings on it going from "complete tool who just wants to fly around->master at flying airplanes/maverick from Top Gun"
Kinda pumped up for this game

Thought it was 7GB an hour. Gotta watch that video again.

What title are you thinking of when you describe you dream flight scenario?

Incredible video..

I just watched a video online and they showed off the difference between Ultra, High and Medium.

The guy stated that HIGH is probably the best settings as it is the best mix between detail and playability.
He stated Medium settings lose quite a lot of the terrain textures and there is a clear visible difference between High and Medium, he did go on though to state that like RDR 2 even on Medium settings it still looks a alot better than most games on the market today.
So please link it! :)

Incredible video..

Isn’t „only“ the beta in gamepass?

Thought it was 7GB an hour. Gotta watch that video again.

What title are you thinking of when you describe you dream flight scenario?

Uff now you got me confused... I'm almost certain it was 7GB per 10 hours... but now I'll have to find the video to confirm...

What do you mean about the title I'm thinking of dream flight scenario?

edit, found it (start @ min 5:30, he shows his usage @ min 6:30; 10 hours @7.2GB which is not as bad as 7GB/hr):

Last edited:

Isn’t „only“ the beta in gamepass?

I don't think this is the same video as I originally found the info on, but this shows level of detail difference and frame rates.

He also does a couple of comparisons AMD vs Nvidia.

Even with my setup, I won't be able to hit 60FPS on Ultra @1440P.
I will probably have to play the game in HD to hit 60FPS on Ultra.

Last edited:
Even with my setup, I won't be able to hit 60FPS on Ultra @1440P.
I will probably have to play the game in HD to hit 60FPS on Ultra.

geez dude if your rig is the one in your signature you shouldnt have a problem making it look beautiful. Its me poor fellow with a RX570 and a first gen Ryzen thatll do 1080 on medium... due for an upgrade once I get the guts to build myself a pc, maybe 2021

geez dude if your rig is the one in your signature you shouldnt have a problem making it look beautiful. Its me poor fellow with a RX570 and a first gen Ryzen thatll do 1080 on medium... due for an upgrade once I get the guts to build myself a pc, maybe 2021

I am quite glad though my rig might not be able to handle it..
I have really been waiting for a game that is breath-taking and pushes the high end cards to their limit of capabilities..

To have a game which may take 3-4 years for PC's to catch up and be playable in Ultra settings 4K @60FPS+ is some graphical achievement by the developers.
Most games which are released now, don't push PC's to their limit you turn on a game locked to 30FPS on console and bang your PC get 120FPS using the same settings.. I guess it is just me thinking like this, but I really want to see my GFX card burn and struggle with something, and this game could be it.
And since it uses cloud computing, they could even improve the graphics further.

@bsmaff , I cant see much difference between ultra and high. If my PC can do medium I'd be happy. Agree with everything you said about games pushing the limits. The devs have to find a middle ground as to not isolate ppl with norma rigs.

I have looked at some of the videos, and agree the difference between Ultra and High seems minimal.
I will be purchasing a game pass when the game is released in a couple of weeks, so I can try this.

I will try multiple settings, but with my recent monitor purchase I can't play in 4K anymore, as went with a 240Hz 1440p monitor.

Last edited:
Question for all you PC boffins. I have a high end rig :- I7 9700 cpu, RTX2080 graphics card, MSI z390 carbon mother board, 1te SSD etc but my broadband is completely shi*e. I get about 4mb on a good day. Does this mean that the landscape is going to look like a ploughed field?

Question for all you PC boffins. I have a high end rig :- I7 9700 cpu, RTX2080 graphics card, MSI z390 carbon mother board, 1te SSD etc but my broadband is completely shi*e. I get about 4mb on a good day. Does this mean that the landscape is going to look like a ploughed field?

Its kinda hard to tell before it has been released as the minimum requirements say 5Mbps. My suggestion is to ask after someone in your same situation has been able to test it or get gamepass for a month and try it out. My guess is it would still work and look fine for short distances but farther away detail could get muddied (again, this is just speculation)

Its kinda hard to tell before it has been released as the minimum requirements say 5Mbps. My suggestion is to ask after someone in your same situation has been able to test it or get gamepass for a month and try it out. My guess is it would still work and look fine for short distances but farther away detail could get muddied (again, this is just speculation)
Thanks mate, that's what I was thinking too. I hope we are both wrong haha

Back
Top Bottom