ITALY thread

Re: The Italy Thread - Forza Azzurri

Just saw the score against Russia. What happened?!

That will lower some expectations! Cassano looked out of shape, Chiellini was missing, and Maggio messed up. Maybe Abate is better for this formation.

Abate is way much better, but he`s more like a right back and Maggio usually plays as a right winger. This year they won`t get past the group stage if they play like against Russia.

whoah!!! what was THAT!? that was just shockingly bad. it looked like a febbruary friendly, not the last game before a tournament. apart from a few exceptions (pirlo and balotelli) the players were completely unfocused and sloppy. performance-wise it reminded me of that roma performance vs man utd of a few years ago (the 7-1 game). sure the formation was wrong and some players were in a pretty bad shape (it's pretty obvious cassano cannot play football right now), but that still doesn't justify such a performance.

i mean take the defense for instance. sure it was stupid to line up a 4 men setup (all our defensers play in a 3 men setup in their clubs, so i really don't know what prandelli was thinking with that back 4), and yeah, there is a substantial difference between playing in a 3 men setup and playing in a 4 man setup....... so we should expect some mistakes every now and then by barzagli and bonucci (due to the fact they're used to play in a different way).... but they didn't just commit a few mistakes every now and then... they did absolutely nothing right. they were constantly off position (bonucci especially) and and even the most basic 1-2 overlap was enough to cut our defensive line like it was butter. a professional football player doesn't just forget how to play football, only because he's lined up in a different system! we basically had no defensive line at all.

and even montolivo was just pathetic. i am very critic about montolivo. he was anonynous (at best) this season and should have no place in the squad (nevermind in the starting formation)..... but that was just ridiculous. he never got involved in the game... he touched something like 10 balls in the entire match and every time he got the ball he misplaced a pass o lost possession. monto might be a spineless sissy, but he still is a very talented player. that performance was awful even by a serie c player standards, nevermind a player with his skills.. we basically played with 10 men for the entire game!

anyway there are some good news. we won't see a 4 men defensive line again, as prandelli is now forced to line up a 3 men setup. that will also allow maggio and balzaretti to play more effectively. moreover, since we won't have a trequartista anymore (montolivo is definitely not gonna play again), marchisio, de rossi (or nocerino) will be able to play their football and venture forward. however to line up a 3 men defensive setup we need chiellini to get back, so let's hope he can make it in time for this week end.

however theere seems to be more to it. that performance was just too awful and i'm afraid even a more logical line up won't bring us back to what we were up to 7 months ago (although it will certainly help)... there's gotta be something else, something that concerns the team as a unit. it's either a form issue or a mental issue. and both scenarios aren't really lovely. form issues are easy to address but require time to fix. mental issues are much quicker to fix, but also require much more time to address. in any case, the game vs spain will probably give us a better perspective, as with italy's national team, the feedback u can get from friendlies is usually quite unreliable.

concerning the maggio\abate discussion, abate has improved a lot over the last 2 seasons, but maggio still is on a different level. moreover abate is a pure crosser (wich makes him pretty much useless for this italy team) while maggio tends to cut on the inside (wich is exactly what we need). however, form still remains the main factor of course, so if abate is in a much better form than maggio, it might make sense to pick him over the napoletano.

Last edited:

Abate and Maggio are both very good players. Abate has improved a lot over the past couple years but I'd still take Maggio over him.

They can give each other good competition though. Both quality players.

Barzagli out: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

This gets better and better for Italians! :(

England and Italy will be two jokes of Euro 2012!

oh boy.... first chiellini and now barzagli. we are fucked!
seriously though what's wrong with italy's national team and cbs. it seems that whenever a competition approaches our starting cbs get injured. in germany in 2006 it was nesta. then at euro 2008 cannavaro, now chiellini and barzagli.

Balotelli also had an injury scare. Wish Nesta would come back just for this tournament, a la Thuram.

Yeah, and then get Alex to replace Balotelli. :D

any news about the injuries? is barzagli out for the entire tournament? is chiellini gonna make in time? how is balotelli?
did anyone else happen to stumble on the training ground today and , i don't know, broke his leg?

karma really is a bitch. i wished montolivo to get injured, and now to whole team is falling apart with injuries.... except that lil bugger. :JAY:

i heard prandelli has definitely embraced the idea of lining up a 3 men defence. wich is good.
i also heard that de rossi is gonna play cb against spain...... wich is really NOT good!

Last edited:

There is not a lot of news going but last I heard Barzagli will miss a couple of games, maybe the whole group stage. Prandelli decided to keep him instead of calling another defender like Ranocchia or Astori which makes the team short on defenders. Prandelli only called 4 so there is no other option than Bonucci-De Rossi-Ogbonna.

Chiellini probably will make it though.

Hasn't he called up Astori now?

True but he still not included. Prandelli will decide today.

It is really tough. If you could get Barzagli back in the knockout stage if Italy qualify, would you do it?

True but he still not included. Prandelli will decide today.

It is really tough. If you could get Barzagli back in the knockout stage if Italy qualify, would you do it?
if by "would u do it" u mean "would u keep barzagli in poland", no i wouldn't. we don't even know if we'll make it to the knockout stage (and going to the group stage with a cm playing in defense wouldn't help our case).

i don't see what's the problem with astori really. he's done very well this season. sure he's no barzagli, but let's be honest.... as much as everyone likes to underestimate italy, astori (wich is our 5th or 6th pick for the role) would be a starter in half the teams going to the euros.
hell i'd even consider ranocchia, to be honest. he had a very rough season, no doubt about that.... but we all know that had nothing to do with his abilities (the team he plays for is just falling apart)... i mean snejder has been unbelievably awful all season long (just like ranocchia).... and yet i don't see anyone questioning his spot in netherlands.

so yeah, ranocchia and astori would have not been my first picks (given we had barzagli, chiellini and bonucci on fire till one month ago), but i don't see any valid reason to not call them up now.... especially since we're considering the idea of lining up de rossi as a cb!!:CONFUSE: (wich to be would be much more risky than calling up astori or ranocchia).

anyway, i think we're giving too much importance to our injuries. our main concern should be our football. we're not playing on the same level we played over the last 2 years with prandelli. something is not working with the team. there's no drive, no confidence and no flair. our defensive work is sloppy at best, and our passing is predictable. as a matter of fact this current team looks nothing like prandelli's italy. can u imagine last june's italy playing against this current italy (the one wich lost against russia)? can u picture how such a match would go? what would it be... 4-0? 5-0? 6-0? and yet the players were almost the same (except from rossi).
it's the team that it's not clicking right now, and that's what should concern us more than everything.

having barzagli or astori leading our defence, that will be irrelevant as long as we don't get back to our football. barzagli was there against russia and look how well it went.
what i'm trying to say here is that a football team is more than just a bunch of players and that individual quality doesn't necessarily add up to team quality.
if u take a look at the threads in this very forum, u'll see people taking a look at the squads list and commenting on them as if a team was the exact reflection of the quality of its players. there's no harm in that of course... it's fun and it makes for an enjoyable conversation (i also did it). but let's be honest about it, this is bullshit. this is not how football works

do u remember this? that was just 10 months ago... and the team was pretty much the same we fielded against russia (except for aquilani and criscito)....can u see the difference?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUMH1VXaZ-A

that's our main issue right now and that's what should concern us the most. nevermind rossi's and barzagli's iinjuries, or cassano's and chiellini's condition... we need to get our heads back in the game. that's what matter most.
so let's hope that right now the team is finding that same chemistry we had till a few months ago, because without that we won't make it to the knockout stage, barzagli or not barzagli.

Last edited:

I feel their is a lot of uncertainty at this point. I feel that that this team can perform well or be a total disaster. It depends on the players and they key ones, especially upfront, don't usually have the right mentality in big games. Cassano doesn't seem on form and Balotelli I still think is a gamble to count as the main striker.

Anyway, formation of the Spain game should be something like this:

----------------Buffon-----------------
-----Bonucci--De Rossi--Chiellini------
--Maggio-Marchisio-Pirlo-Motta-Barzagli
----------Balotelli--Cassano-----------

I think this team has so much potential, but like many Italian teams (except Napoli), they seem to be falling under the pressure or lack confidence. We need everyone to be like Cassano or Balotelli and think "Why always me?" to get fired up :D

Anyway, formation of the Spain game should be something like this:

----------------Buffon-----------------
-----Bonucci--De Rossi--Chiellini------
--Maggio-Marchisio-Pirlo-Motta-Barzagli
----------Balotelli--Cassano-----------

i haven't followed the news about possible lineups theese days, but i gotta say i'd be surprised if motta and cassano were in the starting 11. it would be madness to pick motta over nocerino imo and cassano clearely is in a terrible shape.
milanista said:
I think this team has so much potential, but like many Italian teams (except Napoli), they seem to be falling under the pressure or lack confidence. We need everyone to be like Cassano or Balotelli and think "Why always me?" to get fired up
i do agree with your point, but i wouldn't pick cassano and mario as the right models. cassano is an amazing player and balotelli is fantastic aswell.... that obnoxious bugger never plays at more than his 50% and that's still enough for him to put up unbelievable stats and numbers...... but as good as they are talent-wise and technique-wise, they're not the ideal when it comes to mentality.
both cassano and balotelli are loud and flamboyants, but that "in your face" attitude doesn't necessarily equals a proper winning mentality.
screaming to the world "i'm a winner" doesn't make u a winner. giovinco, borini, rossi... they are winners! they might be more quiet than balotelli and cassano but they have more balls than those 2 clowns will ever have. those are real Men. real Winners. they are the only italian players that remind me of their germans colleagues.

however even considering the lack of personality of our talented players, we still can do much more than this..... actually we have done much more than this (with theese very same players) up till the friendly against uruguay last december.
like we already said several times, we might turn out to be the surprise of the tournament or we might get out at the group stages..... but if i had to guess, based on the russia friendly, i'd be leaning towards the latter.

Last edited:

What's your views on Diamanti?
We under-used him at West Ham. He should have played as a centre forward who can drop deep (like Di Canio did) and/or as a trequartista.
Instead, Zola insisted on playing him wide left and even right midfield :CONFUSE:

What are the views on him?
Has he a chance of featuring in the Euros at all and how do you rate him/his best position etc?

i haven't followed the news about possible lineups theese days, but i gotta say i'd be surprised if motta and cassano were in the starting 11. it would be madness to pick motta over nocerino imo and cassano clearely is in a terrible shape.

I agree but if you hear Prandelli's views, you kinda understand these choices. He keeps mentioning holding the ball and passing around a lot. You can't get more technical than Cassano and Motta fits that criteria more than Nocerino.

Plus, Nocerino likes to move forward and enter the penalty area a lot. He needs no invitation. With Marchisio there, I think Motta might be a better choice but sure Nocerino deserves a spot after an amazing season.

Cassano needs to get his act together. Prandelli in the past two years declared him the superstar of the squad and put a lot of faith in him.

Last edited:

I'm with Ben on this. Cassano and Balotelli are hardly guys to use as examples.

Guys like Di Natale and De Rossi are much more confident and fiery in the 'right way'. Guys like Maggio and Giovinco have that quiet confidence. These guys are winners. Cassano and Balotelli are immature kids, talented but jokers. If Italy is relying on these two, they're making a mistake.

They are too unstable mentally to be relied upon.

Chiellini, Marchisio, Maggio, Buffon and co on the other hand, you'd expect the best from and they usually deliver!

I agree but if you hear Prandelli's views, you kinda understand these choices. He keeps mentioning holding the ball and passing around a lot. You can't get more technical than Cassano and Motta fits that criteria more than Nocerino.

Plus, Nocerino likes to move forward and enter the penalty area a lot. He needs no invitation. With Marchisio there, I think Motta might be a better choice but sure Nocerino deserves a spot after an amazing season.

Cassano needs to get his act together. Prandelli in the past two years declared him the superstar of the squad and put a lot of faith in him.
i see, good point about motta. if that's prandelli's plan, then motta makes more sense than nocerino indeed. of course one might argue that playing "possession football" against spain is extremely stupid (as they tend to press high up the pitch, making a counter attacking gameplan much more logical and probably effective), but then again if prandelli wants go down this way, who am i to second guess him?

as for cassano, there's really not much we can expect from him, given his form. he's just in no condition to play football, and since he hasn't played for almost the entire season, we can't even blame him for that. it's a shame though, as had he followed a good training program and managed to reach this moment in a good form, his fresh legs might have made a difference in this tournament. however i really hope we won't see him starting against spain. i had cassano as a starter in my ideal formation, but that was before watching the game vs russia.
PLF said:
Guys like Di Natale and De Rossi are much more confident and fiery in the 'right way'. Guys like Maggio and Giovinco have that quiet confidence. These guys are winners. Cassano and Balotelli are immature kids, talented but jokers. If Italy is relying on these two, they're making a mistake.

They are too unstable mentally to be relied upon.
yep, with those 2 it's always a question mark. whenever they're in good shape and feel like playing football, they can blow your mind with amazing performances.....but they might just as well let u down with an anonymous, sloppy game.
steevio_uk said:
What's your views on Diamanti?
We under-used him at West Ham. He should have played as a centre forward who can drop deep (like Di Canio did) and/or as a trequartista.
Instead, Zola insisted on playing him wide left and even right midfield
yeah zola definitely didn't put him to good use. as for his european campaign, i don't know...... we have a lot of talented players upfront, and he's not the most gifted one (it's not like he isn't talented, of course, but when u're surrounded by the likes of cassano, giovinco and di natale, everything becomes relative).... however he had one hell of a season this year, so he might have his chance to prove himself.
as for his most appropriate position on the pitch, u pretty much nailed it: a false 9 who drops back or a conventional trequartista (if we were to deploy a trequartista again, i would much rather see him in that spot than montolivo).
personally i've always liked him, but he doesn't strike as a "game-changing substitute". i believe he's one of those players who needs to feel important for his team in order to deliver at his best. u show him your trust in him, tell him u're counting on him as an important piece in your puzzle, make him feel important, and he's gonna repay you.... a lot!
on the other side, i'm not sure he can have the same sort of impact as a substitute, coming into the game once the flow of the game has already been established.... but that's just an opinion and i might be wrong about it (and i hope i am, as i can't see him playing as a starter in this euro campaign).

Last edited:

balzaretti out of the starting 11..... for giaccherini????!!! :SHOCK: wtf!!!
this is getting weirder and weirder. seriously this match can't come soon enough. i'm afraid if we give prandelli a few more hours to ponder on some other tactical experiments he might line up buffon at midfield! :P

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom