ISS Pro 2, PES, PES 2 (ps1), which one to play.

Pterarxos

Non-League
8 October 2022
Are there any differences gameplay wise between these 3 games on the PS1? I know ISS Pro 2 is the last game made exclusively for the PS1. Are the other 2 just a reskin + updated squads, or gameplay changes too?

Play none of them, go for WE2002 with English translation. The last PS1 title, has 60fps/60hz support, the most popular version for modding and netplay too

I think 'PES' series is just a reskin + updated squads on the PS1, but I'm not 100% percent sure if there is not any minor change in gameplay. Anyway, I would play ISS Pro Evolution and ISS Pro Evolution 2 on the PS1 and PES 1 AND PES 2 on the PS2.

Play none of them, go for WE2002 with English translation. The last PS1 title, has 60fps/60hz support, the most popular version for modding and netplay too
Do you still play it online? As I may be interested if there are a group that play. I used to be in a WE2002 league but this was in about the year 2002 :D It was such a cool community and still very fun game.

Do you still play it online? As I may be interested if there are a group that play. I used to be in a WE2002 league but this was in about the year 2002 :D It was such a cool community and still very fun game.
I don't play online, ML only :)

I think 'PES' series is just a reskin + updated squads on the PS1, but I'm not 100% percent sure if there is not any minor change in gameplay. Anyway, I would play ISS Pro Evolution and ISS Pro Evolution 2 on the PS1 and PES 1 AND PES 2 on the PS2.
After testing all 3 of the above games on the PS1, I have to say that they are actually different gameplay wise. I played the same match with the same settings in all 3 games. England vs Germany on hard.

ISS Pro 2 has the slowest pace of the 3, passing is slower and more methodical, AI defending is good, they leave some space so you can create chances but they will intercept you quite well too. Shots are accurate and hard hitting, keepers are quite good though and also has the best balance at dribbling vs defending as both are easy to perform well. The AI is good but quite predictable. It generally feels responsive and balanced. A great version.

PES is the same but quite faster in every aspect, has worse goalkeepers, and shots are rockets. It's really easy to blast long range belters with good shooters. I beat Germany 4-2 and 3 of my goals were belters outside the box with Beckham and Scholes. It's the most arcadey of the 3, also the AI plays smarter than in ISS Pro 2.

PES 2 and WL2002 are the same exact game, except WL2002 performs at 60fps which makes it more enjoyable to play. It's the most refined gameplay wise. Same pace as PES 1 but different timings for commands. It's the most unforgiving in every aspect. Shots have a bigger margin for error, AI defending is much tighter and you need good dribbling timing and smart passing to beat them. Defending mechanics though are nerfed and you can foul opponents easily, same goes for the AI, if you dribble correctly you can earn fouls easily. The AI is also the smartest of the 3. It generally feels the tightest and most balanced of the 3 games, also the hardest and the most rewarding one.

Back in the PS1 days all I had was PES 1 and then upgraded directly to PES 3 on the PS2. I remember playing ISS 1 and ISS 2 at my friend's house but as I was just a kid I couldn't tell a difference between them. I also thought that ISS Pro 2 was the newest of the bunch just because it had the number 2 on the box, lol!

Last edited:
Take a look at this issue of the UK official Playstation magazine. There is a review of PES on the ps1 in page 40. You may find it useful.

https://archive.org/details/officia...e-83-april-2002/page/40/mode/2up?view=theater
That a was a trip to a different time. Thank you for this. Gameplay is definitely different though between these 3 games. That's what I love about the PES devs of the PS1 and PS2 era. They never released a "legacy" version on the last gen systems with just transfers. Even PES 2014 on the PS2 was refined and adjusted in the gameplay department, plus had all the next gen offline modes.

That a was a trip to a different time. Thank you for this. Gameplay is definitely different though between these 3 games. That's what I love about the PES devs of the PS1 and PS2 era. They never released a "legacy" version on the last gen systems with just transfers. Even PES 2014 on the PS2 was refined and adjusted in the gameplay department, plus had all the next gen offline modes.
Yeah, gameplay was fine-tuned on the PS2 era until the very last PES. I didn't remeber it was the same on the PS1 era. It was long time ago since I play those games tbh šŸ˜…

Back
Top Bottom