Is time for a new developer to step in?

Daytripper

League 2
23 June 2008
Everton
Hello

dont post very much but long time reader.

i feel its time for a new football game from someone else, fifa 09 seems decent, judging by the pes2009 demo i wont be buying it and now i feel its time for someone else to step in and challenge EA and Konami for the football throne.

Who? I've got idea at the moment :LOL:

Konami seem to be taking baby steps this generation (thats being polite), EA are making strides its seems but next year someone else should come in and have a go. Hopefully someone who is willing to make every effort to make a true next gen football game.

Def. time for a new developer

ive been a diehard pes fan since pes3, but ive lost all hope in konami after last years pile of shit and the 2009demo,
fifa has really progressed nicely, ive only played the demo so far but it seemed really wellmade, but for me its still the same boring gameplay

time for something new, Football kingdom maybe?:P

totally agree ... pes2009 does not even compare to the classic pes games, it is going in the wrong direction and there is so little difference between this and 2008 that it shows they really dont know what theyre doing. but im sure theyll love it in japan and the fanboys will lap it up too so i dont think pes will be classic footie gaming once again any time soon

I want a game like ISS on the N64, except tweaked to make it more realistic.

PES 2009 is damn awful.

True i think PES series is going the same way as ISS. N64 versions were good then moved to next gen PS2 and flopped with the ISS trilogy that were crap. Now PES was good on PS2 and are now crap on the next gen. And i'm in the process of cancelling my PES2009 pre-order, might actually buy ISS 98 or 2000 off ebay. Those were the only football games i could play with an analog stick.

And i'd like to see 2k games make a football game prefered there NFL games on the PS2

Developing a football game from scratch seems to be a extremely hard thing to do. Many have tried and fallen by the wayside. If you're talking about another bunch of developers coming in and taking over the code from konami then thats just never gonna happen.

Just finished playing like 5 games on the demo. REALLY awful. I was hoping that some of you were wrong and the game was gonna be good BUT not only is the game VERY VERY arcadey it feels like every pass, through ball, etc is out of your control. And the players must be on crack cus they run for 90+ at an incredible speed.

The new game will need a two year development cycle just to overtake fifa 09 now, it needs to be completely revamped from top to toe. The graphics are crap, the controls are crap and the presentation is laughable. If it was not called pes no one would even give it a second look.

Pes sux as much as Liverpool does; Not a bit.
Ever since i turned on the unassisted mode, im never rolling back to any elder pes either. as for fifa, will never get close. Gfx wise sure, but that just dont matter for pes lovers.

Well the 2K people are very good, i think NBA 2K9 is the best basketball game of all times...maybe with a good help from someone who understands about football..:D

Some people like a more arcade feel to playing a football game and thus will prefer PES.
If you want more of a simulation buy FIFA is my advise.
I for one like PES and all the iterations since it began.
Changing the engine will change the feel of the game.

Play ISS on the N64 now and cry at how crap the game is compared to what we have.

Doesn't anyone in Europe make games? Football is our game, yet we're sitting waiting for Canadians and Japanese to make a perfect representation of the game.

Yes, football gaming needs new developers, but I can't see it happening.

Too hard, man... too hard.

It's a strategy, too. I remember when FIFA first became crappier and arcade-y (2000, 2001). It was their whole strategy. If you make a game and it gets better and better... you continuously have to outdo yourself. Or else the people won't buy it. But do a crappy one (pes2008) for instance and then you have to make 4-5 games just to get to the AI of the previous one! (i.e. pes5,6). In the meantime...people, although disappointed, will still buy your game.

Some wrong steps are done on purpose. I'm sure... cause give anyone your new pes-beta to test for a couple of days and he WILL noticethat the keeper throws the ball into his own net and so on... Don't you agree? People and Developers are not stupid! They just act like it.

What Cave said... it's already been done on the last gen with Club Football, This is Football, Sensible Soccer etc all games promised a lot but all were utter shite.

It would be nice for a 3rd party developer to come out with something fresh they could always go down the legends route in terms of licences which would be cool, but aslong as they were to concerntrate on the gameplay.

Well, I think it's time Konami employed some new developers to work on PES, for sure.

The demo is great entertainment, but only because it's so incredibly bad. It's a laughing stock. From the menus, to the presentation, to the cartoon graphics, to the miserable attempt at incorporating the Champions League, to the scripted robotic gameplay. The whole thing is one big joke which is made even funnier by the fact magazines are actually giving it rave reviews. The whole world must be on crack.

Well, I think it's time Konami employed some new developers to work on PES, for sure.

The demo is great entertainment, but only because it's so incredibly bad. It's a laughing stock. From the menus, to the presentation, to the cartoon graphics, to the miserable attempt at incorporating the Champions League, to the scripted robotic gameplay. The whole thing is one big joke which is made even funnier by the fact magazines are actually giving it rave reviews. The whole world must be on crack.

Maybe peoples opinions differ to yours? I dont want a major revamp of PES, I love PES becuase its PES. Took me a good 20 games on the demo to really get into it, now I've forcibly unistalled it becuase I didnt want to over play and ruin the final game.

Not everyone with a different view to yours is 'on crack'.

It's obvious present PES is a joke compared to what it was 4 years ago regarding its competition.

It's obvious that if you like PES as it is, you could play PES5 or 6, patching it every year, and you would like it.

But there's no sense to have a next-gen game that tries to play like a 5 years old game. They should sell it as a PSN title, 10€ maximum, because the level of development they're investing in the game right now is laughable.

Physics on PES are average; passing is a joke (8 direction-automated everything); shooting is a controlled by scripts that force you to miss or hit (for instancE: 1 vs 1 against the keeper going to his body by no reason, even if you aimed to the corner) ; AI is totally last-gen, the players act like headless chicken most of the time; game modes are the same as always, except Legends that is totally undermined because of the poor AI... all this is obvious.

Of course you can like it, there's people who likes the movie "Dumb and dumber" and it's not a crime. They will tell you it's a fun picture, but there's no way they try to say it's a cinema masterpiece. The same applies to PES, you can tell it's fun, but you know it's an average game with average production values, and to top it all, it's the fifth "Dumb and dumber" in a row they produce with the same gags.

Konami will sink before changing its culture on development. Japanese are stubborn for good and for bad. They will start to loose marketshare until they decide to cut the saga and make another giant robot action game or RPG.

About 2K sports, they do NBA which is, alongside Fifa 09, the best sport game ever done. But they should invest A LOT of money to gain a small marketshare and it would payoff in some years. I don't see them doing it now. They will wait for Konami or EA to abbnadon the ship or loose a lot of marketshare. That, or wait for the next-next-gen, because surprising the market with a new development is easier when the conditions change dramatically (exactly what EA has done to konami).

Last edited:
2K Sports seem like the obvious candidates. They have a track record of producing games that look and play fantastic (their NBA series is amazing) and their developers have been making the most of the next-gen consoles since day one. However, they seem focused on the American sports, which compared to football games are much easier to license - it's just a case of acquiring the NBA, NHL or MLB license which is all-encompassing, with only about 30 or so teams to concentrate on.

A football game would seem a daunting prospect with the sheer amount of teams to recreate and the minefield of licensing them, especially now that exclusive licenses are more and more prevalent. Realistically, any new football game would probably have less licenses than PES, and I can't see 2K Sports wanting to go down this route.

It's a shame, as it should be all about the gameplay. Exclusive licensing must be a barrier to many games developers wanting to enter the football market. It's killing the genre.

money is killing football altogether if you ask me........ (£100m transfer fees anytime soon lol)

but yeah gotta agree with some people on here that 2k sports are dedicated to making proper progress each year

ive been playing nba 2k series since 2k5 and the steps have been massive..... unlike pes :(

time to move over seabass mate or youll miss your bus home

I used to play the winning eleven series back in the day when the game was 100% footballing gold. Back then the winning eleven series was being developed in Japan and it was very much aimed at being a footy simulation. I think the team responsible for this was Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo but in 2005 they merged with Kojima Productions. Due to this change I think the original team who worked on the game may have gone to work on other games and because of this many of the staff disseminated into various areas of the Konami empire. I also think the 'golden code' of this time was handed over to a European division of Konami's team who then produced a noticeably degraded version of the game thinking for some reason the European market who appreciate a dumbed-down arcade version of the game. I think the game became a cash cow at this point and it was never going to be handled with the same love and care that the original fellas in Tokyo felt for it. Sadly, money talks and I think the golden days of PES are gone forever. I don't play much anymore, but I remember the good old days.

It's obvious present PES is a joke compared to what it was 4 years ago regarding its competition.

It's obvious that if you like PES as it is, you could play PES5 or 6, patching it every year, and you would like it.

But there's no sense to have a next-gen game that tries to play like a 5 years old game. They should sell it as a PSN title, 10€ maximum, because the level of development they're investing in the game right now is laughable.

Physics on PES are average; passing is a joke (8 direction-automated everything); shooting is a controlled by scripts that force you to miss or hit (for instancE: 1 vs 1 against the keeper going to his body by no reason, even if you aimed to the corner) ; AI is totally last-gen, the players act like headless chicken most of the time; game modes are the same as always, except Legends that is totally undermined because of the poor AI... all this is obvious.

Of course you can like it, there's people who likes the movie "Dumb and dumber" and it's not a crime. They will tell you it's a fun picture, but there's no way they try to say it's a cinema masterpiece. The same applies to PES, you can tell it's fun, but you know it's an average game with average production values, and to top it all, it's the fifth "Dumb and dumber" in a row they produce with the same gags.

Konami will sink before changing its culture on development. Japanese are stubborn for good and for bad. They will start to loose marketshare until they decide to cut the saga and make another giant robot action game or RPG.

About 2K sports, they do NBA which is, alongside Fifa 09, the best sport game ever done. But they should invest A LOT of money to gain a small marketshare and it would payoff in some years. I don't see them doing it now. They will wait for Konami or EA to abbnadon the ship or loose a lot of marketshare. That, or wait for the next-next-gen, because surprising the market with a new development is easier when the conditions change dramatically (exactly what EA has done to konami).

i disagree with that...once they start feeling on their pockets...they will go back to the roots...

Back
Top Bottom