If I told you that FIFA 2008...............

MatTheCat

Banned
27 March 2005
If I told you that FIFA 2008 (Next Gen) felt very much like PES1 but with loads more moves, manouvres, and much better AI.

Would you be tempted to give it a serious try?

What happens if I told you that there was no visible cheap methods of scoring on Next Gen FIFA with playability almost on a par with the latest PES game.

Would you be tempted to give it a serious chance then?

Its true. 2 player FIFA 08 feels very much like Winning Eleven 5 (PES1), the game is played at a much more measured pace where every goal has to be worked hard at and derived from slick team-work; beating players is possible but requires timing and/or skillful use of the trick-stick; and there really does not seem to be any lame goal exploits of the kind that have destroyed ProEv ever since the horrendously flawed PES4.

Although I have played next gen FIFA a few times b4 now, tonight was the first time I gave it a good solid go......and guess what...its good....its really really good and left me addicted and pining for more.

Granted, there are certain elements of the PES gameplay which totally outstrips FIFA such as ProEv's super immediate responsiveness; fast paced reflex testing opportunities; and fluid ball physics. But the big problem with ProEv for the past three years is that the 2 player game always turns into a big 'Lame-Goals-R-Us' cut-back fest and from what I have seen of the demo, PES 2008 aint gonna be no different.

Whilst PES edges it over FIFA on raw gameplay....The FIFA AI engine is much more watertight which in the long term will make for far more interesting and enduring 2 player encounters which is after all the bread n butter of any video football game.

I await the full release of PES2008 with interest as just now, I am teetering on the brink of conversion.

Before anyone knocks what I am saying, I strongly suggest they give FIFA a PROPER trial beforehand.

I gave it a fair chance.
WE7I is still the daddy though.
I actually think the new PES could suck serious cock, and if it does, I am going to buy a Jap PS2 and WE5 FE, WE6 FE, WE7i and whatever the best WE9 was, if I can get them all.
That quest should keep me occupied.

I ve given FIFA 08 a good crack of the whip this year and i am very impressed, its not the usual play a week or two then bin it game of the past, i actually enjoy it. I hope PES 2008 will deliver the goods, i am getting a vibe that maybe it will be a let down, but hey, we might have 2 decent footy games this year instead of just the 1.

I honestly reckon once PES comes out, i'll be playing it exclusively. ie i'll most likely sell my copy of Fifa08. PES has that "je ne sais quoi." Despite the lack of depth in the ML etc i love the fact that you get to know all your squad as pretty much individuals and you can keep discovering players that play well under you (and not). Every PES, i have my few favourites.

Last edited:
this may be a good argument for owning both games-pro evo for single player and the master league and fifa 08 for when your mates come around

Sorry m8 but i still wont give it a go.. played the demo and i must say i dont want to push more than one button for making a move..
I dont want a slow paced game.. I want to make driblles with Ronaldinho and Messi.. I want to play the Arsenal type football.. Al these things dont go along with FIFA08.. so im staying with Pro.. which should have been in my PS3 by now :S

If I told you that FIFA 2008 (Next Gen) felt very much like PES1 but with loads more moves, manouvres, and much better AI.

Would you be tempted to give it a serious try?

What happens if I told you that there was no visible cheap methods of scoring on Next Gen FIFA with playability almost on a par with the latest PES game.

Would you be tempted to give it a serious chance then?

Its true. 2 player FIFA 08 feels very much like Winning Eleven 5 (PES1), the game is played at a much more measured pace where every goal has to be worked hard at and derived from slick team-work; beating players is possible but requires timing and/or skillful use of the trick-stick; and there really does not seem to be any lame goal exploits of the kind that have destroyed ProEv ever since the horrendously flawed PES4.

Although I have played next gen FIFA a few times b4 now, tonight was the first time I gave it a good solid go......and guess what...its good....its really really good and left me addicted and pining for more.

Granted, there are certain elements of the PES gameplay which totally outstrips FIFA such as ProEv's super immediate responsiveness; fast paced reflex testing opportunities; and fluid ball physics. But the big problem with ProEv for the past three years is that the 2 player game always turns into a big 'Lame-Goals-R-Us' cut-back fest and from what I have seen of the demo, PES 2008 aint gonna be no different.

Whilst PES edges it over FIFA on raw gameplay....The FIFA AI engine is much more watertight which in the long term will make for far more interesting and enduring 2 player encounters which is after all the bread n butter of any video football game.

I await the full release of PES2008 with interest as just now, I am teetering on the brink of conversion.

Before anyone knocks what I am saying, I strongly suggest they give FIFA a PROPER trial beforehand.

Hi MatThe Cat

I loved PES1 and the slower pace, so i will certainly be getting Fifa08 (last one i played was Road to the World Cup 98)

How do you find the game in single player mode ?

db

Hi MatThe Cat

I loved PES1 and the slower pace, so i will certainly be getting Fifa08 (last one i played was Road to the World Cup 98)

How do you find the game in single player mode ?

db

I dont actually own FIFA 2008 (Next Gen) as I own neither an XBOX360 or a PS3. Therefore whilst I have played loads n loads of 2 player games (at my mates). I have not actually played a single one player game.....Who knows...it might be gash!

Single player is good db, but there is no big difference playing with Messi or the average Brussels player.
Playing with Le Havre, there is no difference between playing against Clermont-Ferrand and Olympique Lyon...

I agree completely with Professor Nutmeg, next week i wonder if i will still play much FIFA...i miss the PES thrills that i can't explain.

I bought Fifa and yeah it's not bad but it's no Pro Evo and if the new game is anything like PES6, Fifa will either sit on my shelve and rot or i'll trade it in.

I wouldnt waste my time trying to convince folk mate, you either have an open mind or you dont, simple.

The biggest things that annoy me about Fifa08 are:

Unresponsive.

Goalkeepers are not part of the game, they are immune, cant get sent off, get confused easily and have no conviction (holding down triangle to bring him out, the AI will take over if the opposition gets near the ball and will start going back to goal, leaving him open for chips when he could have at least try to get the ball). They also suffer from non conventional shots, for instance: I've scored a couple of time with a ground pass towards goal from near the corner flag, it rolls past his feet and goes in. They don't parry well and they suffer from the ball being close to their feet on rebounds.

Even on low AI settings against a crap team (internationals VS 2nd division club teams), they play 10X above their station. Totally unrealistic. Making the ghosts in Pacman get the player is very easy to programme, but it makes for a boring game. Making the ghosts make incorrect decisions and give the player a chance to live more than 10seconds is quite abit harder. Fifa08 AI suffers from this difficulty complex, which is shown up more with the crappy teams.

Another part of the AI that suffers is the non-player decisions. The player has to do everything. If the attacker breaks through your defense (of your player and the other nearest the ball) sometimes the ball goes near another non-player defender, despite the natural option would be to close down the ball, the game expects the player to change character and move to the ball, the AI just leaves it when the defender should move towards the ball collect it and the player to change to this character. Leaves the game looking abit un-natural at times with players not making some really basic decisions to help the player out.

Too slow. Let me explain. The game feels right when you start, good pace and just knocking it around. Very nice. However, you never get the feeling of attacking urgency, when players are putting in 110% to try and get a goal (man-u at 0-0 with 10mins to go at home) feels the same as when you kick off with no urgency. Urgency and counter attacking speed is seriously missing.

The more I play the full game, the more I don't want to play it. Best football game currently available in the UK on PS3, but despite the polished finish its flaws are becoming more and more apparent as I get more used to the game.

I pretty much agree with a lot of your points but playing pes2008 demo after fifa is like playing virtua striker 2. So its back to fifa!

i really hope pes is different from the demo, its just too rigid.

I have to say within the last week. i very much clicked with FIFA08. This is to say, it's take me about 3 to 4 weeks to learn it. I still make a few mistakes, but i'm in tune with the gameplay now. Just in time for PES ;)

I can't say I liked it much. What The Black Sheep said - your team is completely incapable without you babysitting everywhere. Granted that's especially true for JLWE2007CC's Fantasista mode - in offense. But in FIFA you concede because 5 AI-controlled players in a row decide they don't particularly want to challenge for the ball.
And the presentation (menu structure and the like) is still no good. Again PES 2008 tries hard to be similarly bad, but that's not much of an excuse.

What was the last WE/PES game that did not suffer from some massive flaw along the lines of extremely exploitable lobs, only doing cut-back goals, horrible goalkeepers, massively cheating AI?

@blacksheep

I've got FIFA08... I'm 99% sure my goalie got sent off... but theres a 1% chance I might be confusing it with Carson getting sent off for the villa... it's all blending into one...

Otherwise... blacksheep is SPOT ON.

Annoying how most goals seem to be goalie errors.. parried out to a striker, rolled past the keeper... I even had a goal scored against me when some guy did a chipped through ball over my keeper who was on the 6-yard line but couldn't be bothered to reach up and catch it.

Even more annoying than the inconsistent keepers is the referee. Clean through on numerous occaisions when cynically brought down, only yellow card. Unbelievable.

When a player gets injured... straight to the formation screen, no cut scene of the injury, or the stretcher etc... very poor.

Shooting very inconsistent... sometimes a tap of the shoot button will roll it into the corner, other times it's just a VERY feeble backpass.

Liked it a lot when I first played it, but is becoming plain frustrating now. Can't wait for Pro Evo!!

Last edited:
Played the latest FIFA and sorry but it's slow, unresponsive garbage.

Anyway, why would I want a game that "is very much like PES1" when PES1 is horribly out of date by todays standards?

PES is standing still at the moment though so it could be only a matter of time before FIFA catches up to it. Unless next years next gen version actually lives up to the "evolution" tag. I seriously hope so.

I have both games.
And there's no picture... You have a finished game playable vs. a poor beta.
So sad as I bought a PS3 for PES2008... and I'll probably never play it again due to the amount of freezes.

Played Fifa 2008 on the Xbox360 console.
Its good very good but too slow i think.

Played PES2008 on the PS3 and PC. On the PS3 it sucks really good. Frame issues, the players run with their chest in front, replays are bad.
On the PC its much better. Its like last years PES but with better graphics. No frame issues here.

Konami have done such a bad job. I can not understand it. This is blu ray disk. It can contain up to 25GB of data for Christ Sake. Why just 10-15 stadiums and not 50? Why so few teams? Why the crowd look so bad? Why ? Why ? Why ? If this is next gen game then i dont know what to say really.

Well done Konami...you just ruined the best game.

Played Fifa 2008 on the Xbox360 console.
Its good very good but too slow i think.

Played PES2008 on the PS3 and PC. On the PS3 it sucks really good. Frame issues, the players run with their chest in front, replays are bad.
On the PC its much better. Its like last years PES but with better graphics. No frame issues here.

Konami have done such a bad job. I can not understand it. This is blu ray disk. It can contain up to 25GB of data for Christ Sake. Why just 10-15 stadiums and not 50? Why so few teams? Why the crowd look so bad? Why ? Why ? Why ? If this is next gen game then i dont know what to say really.

Well done Konami...you just ruined the best game.

Why? I'll tell you why, because if they made the first version perfect (or even good) why would any of us bother buying subsequent versions? We'd all just patch it every year or download new option files! Then Konami would have to make an "evolution" game that was actually worthy of the name every year.

That's what they did, and are STILL doing, with the PS2 version for 7 years.

As it is, all they have to do is make a few tweaks here and there in 12 months time and we'll all be rushing out to buy it like the fools we are. Simply because there is NO ALTERNATIVE because FIFA is so dire.

Konami are taking the piss out of us, they've got us just where they want us. That's a fact.

Why? I'll tell you why, because if they made the first version perfect (or even good) why would any of us bother buying subsequent versions? We'd all just patch it every year or download new option files! Then Konami would have to make an "evolution" game that was actually worthy of the name every year.

That's what they did, and are STILL doing, with the PS2 version for 7 years.

As it is, all they have to do is make a few tweaks here and there in 12 months time and we'll all be rushing out to buy it like the fools we are. Simply because there is NO ALTERNATIVE because FIFA is so dire.

Konami are taking the piss out of us, they've got us just where they want us. That's a fact.
I'd have to agree with you there- feel rather let down by pes2008. Only played it for about 10 minutes before realising that they (the developers) had just not bothered. Why would they? We all rushed out to buy it like idiots based on the strength of the previous games in the series.

I've just downloaded the Fifa 08 demo to give that a go. Not played it in 10 years but it can't be worse than the latest PES surely?!

Back
Top Bottom