I got it but this game is a huge disappointment

zortex

League 2
13 August 2003
Finally I got a copy yesterday,
And as a guy who is over 30 I came home with an excitement of a kid but very disappointed with the game.
It is more like a FIFA game rather than a Konami production. The scissor between FIFA and PES series is getting closer every year not because FIFA is getting better just because Konami makes it worse !
Let me try to explain why:
-Players run like they are floating on the pitch.Their movements are a bit weird which I hate.Also they are thinner and when they celebrate a goal or in other close up animations they look like brainless idiots or zombies.
-Colour and texture of the grass is very unattractive you can set it to a better position but not satisfactory.
-Stadiums, spectators totally disgrace ( almost like ISS series)
-Sound effects really suck (Commentary is better but who cares? we have been playing it with commentary off) You score a goal but you don't feel like you scored it. There is a disgusting referee whistle as soon as you score it and than a weak fan noise !!! It is so dull and soul-less.
-Game is not dynamic as it was before
-Nets of the goals are worse
-Headers are worse
-Free-kick shooting is better
-Passing is more realistic (short and long)
-Less feeling in the shoots
-Crossing is different
-AI is much better as an opponent and as a teamwork
-Replays (motion replays) are great. It seems like they only worked on it ! This is the only thing that you feel like you are playing a PES 3 game.
-Goalkeepers are ridiculous. You will realize when you play with a friend !
They bounce the ball almost on every shot. It is very annoying. And unfortunately keepers like Cech, Casillas, Van der Sar makes it !
-Some -useless- details (shoes,shirts etc) better
-Easier scoring against human opponents, It was our first experience but match scores like 4-2, 4-1 ,4-3 ,4-0,5-2 (I won almost every time)
-Tactics, formations, arrows seems less important in that game. I always had attacking difficulties when I used to play 4-4-2 in PES6 and had to play 4-3-3 all the time.Now it seems does not matter.
-Foolish "top game" and complicated "in game" menus

Apparently I'd like to share my disappointment with you. We played with a friend and he was so dissappointed as well. I always admired realistic feeling of gameplay but this time I did not feel the same excitement.
I think and hope we will have to wait till next year for a better game.PS3 is a total disappointment.. Gran Turismo DEMO, Smash court Tennis and NBA 2k7 grapics were so great I was so surprized when I got the console 6-7 months ago. I thought it was gonna be better and better by the time But only Warhawk is satisfactory when you look at the new games, others not.

If you guys get something new just inform us via these pages about the game.
I hope we will get used to.

Last edited:
You seem to mirror what a lot of people are saying, that the game is a let down, thing is, even though i know the game is a shadow of what was promised, i will be buying it tomorrow as i always do. Ive been playing FIFA these last 2 weeks, yes its flawed like most fifas, but, its a much better game of football than previous fifas. Ive always been a PRO EVO bloke, but, i think from now on i will be a football game bloke, no foot in either camp, i just want to play a decent game of footy on my PS3, i dont care who makes it....from what i have read, including articles from seahorse himself, this version of pro evo is dissapointing, not just to us but to the konami team aswell, but it would appear that next years offering will be the one, i think he gets one last chance from me next year, but i will give pes 2008 a good old try as always.

The most important issue is the "simulation type gameplay" for me.
I am a type of a guy who can be satisfied with only 1 stadium + 1 blue team + 1 red team but realistic gameplay.
Hey Konami ! You never understand do you?
FIFA always had everything. The database, stadiums, official kits, official clubs. Everry damn club. Leagues,great menu etc..
We had Roberto Larcos, Bautista, Merseyside Red, Tyneside , Byzantine etc. foolish club names, foolish shirts, ridiculous player names.
We all spent hours and nights to edit player names but we always loved our game ! We loved to play it. No shoes, no shirts, no stadiums, no sponsors !
But it is all gone now.
They took our game from us

But it is always like this every year , i remember when pes 6 came out everyone mouthing off now they say its the best, at least give it a chance for a week or two...

i got the game yesterday, and i was really disgusted with with menu's and the jerky replays and the pixelated crowds in-game....but, you know what, the actual FOOTBALL, you know, the reason why you buy a FOOTBALL game, is the best yet. I don't care about flaming responses i will get from some morons, because it won't change my mind, i just want to be the ying to the overwhelming yang out there.

Pro Evo has ALWAYS been behind FIFA for options, game elements, visuals etc, but has ALWAYS been in front on actual gameplay. This version is no different.

For the first time in years i actually bought FIFA 08 and i found it so poor i took it back 2 days later.

PES 2008 is dissappointing on a lot of ASTHETIC levels, no doubt, but jesus christ it's a football game, not an lesson in art or visuals.

Play the damn football and love it.

i got the game yesterday, and i was really disgusted with with menu's and the jerky replays and the pixelated crowds in-game....but, you know what, the actual FOOTBALL, you know, the reason why you buy a FOOTBALL game, is the best yet. I don't care about flaming responses i will get from some morons, because it won't change my mind, i just want to be the ying to the overwhelming yang out there.

Pro Evo has ALWAYS been behind FIFA for options, game elements, visuals etc, but has ALWAYS been in front on actual gameplay. This version is no different.

For the first time in years i actually bought FIFA 08 and i found it so poor i took it back 2 days later.

PES 2008 is dissappointing on a lot of ASTHETIC levels, no doubt, but jesus christ it's a football game, not an lesson in art or visuals.

Play the damn football and love it.

Point taken but if the whole thing is about gameplay, why did we all shell out for next gen consoles?...Pro evo 2008 has short changed us in so many ways, and, the gameplay???...is it realistic to have players flying around at such a speed???...well...maybe for a seaside arcade game, but not for a supposed football sim, the game is WAY too fast to be taken seriously as a simulation. So, i pin my hopes on next year, lets hope seahorse sorts it out.

I have to agree with you guys...
It's a disappointment.... not big but still !
I think that this game is too short for a next-gen console.

It lacks of cosmetic and sound additions.

And yeah the gameplay... but at this speed it'll make it nearly impossible to enjoy anything else than a good old kick and rush.

I hate it when u tackle someone the player makes a noise as if he gets a punch in his stomach. Thats so unrealistic, that sound should be in a fighting game.

You all seems to forget the first PES on PS2 it was exactly the same, not as good as the last on PS1, not the best gameplay, slowdown all the way and still it becomes really good with teh latest version. Just let konami some times. I can understand that someone that dont play every PES/WE but as a fan I didnt expect really much better lol. I jsut hope the online will be good. I'll try it tomorrow.

I hate it when u tackle someone the player makes a noise as if he gets a punch in his stomach. Thats so unrealistic, that sound should be in a fighting game.

You can turn the sound effects down in the in game options menu, which includes player noises, ref's whistle etc. Sounds much better once you do this.

Completely agree with you. This is actually the FIRST time I'm really disappointed by a PES-game. Just doesn't have that PES-feeling to it.

Point taken but if the whole thing is about gameplay, why did we all shell out for next gen consoles?...Pro evo 2008 has short changed us in so many ways, and, the gameplay???...is it realistic to have players flying around at such a speed???...well...maybe for a seaside arcade game, but not for a supposed football sim, the game is WAY too fast to be taken seriously as a simulation. So, i pin my hopes on next year, lets hope seahorse sorts it out.

Yeah, sorry, i got a bit emotional there......i do understand what you're saying about the speed of it, but i don't really see it playing much quicker. I think a lot of it is psychological in that cos the players feet move quicker, you think they are actually running quicker. I went back and played PES 6 just now and whilst it was a bit slower, it didn't feel like a huge arcade-style leep in speed.

Personal opinion i guess.

Kimky, I'm sorry to say that it ain't only about being a fan of the game.
It's about the pennies people have spent on this game and maybe on the console.

well then you shouldnt have bought the frist version on next-generation console. Seeing what the first ps2 version was, you should have know that this version will be disapointing since it's the first of teh new generation.
I'm personnaly totaly find with it and like it as much as any new PES. Sure it's a bit strange to have for once less mode etc.. but that's the next gen step.

I think the biggest problem of PES2008 is that everyone was waiting for a PES7 that would be better than the old ps2 game while having all the features we love.

Last edited:
It can't be a KCET game.... it s so pooooooooor.... i m talking about gameplay, not cosmetics.

I think KCET have lost best developper (for EA...), so PES2008 is only a game like another game. It s really a disapointement, but PES SERIE is finish :(

Regards,

Last edited:
:(just got mine today,only played one game,not overly impressed.That i have never said about a pro-evo game but lets wait and see.:(

PES is finally dead, poor shooting animation, ball has some kind of glue, they run as if there is something stuck in their asshole, i can’t play free kicks fast till the fucking referee whistles, you cant control the player at all- the animation is fucked up, keepers stay so far at the front for easy goals, CPU is way to easy to beat- no challenge, no one was forcing seabass to release this game that fast if it needs more time, the best thing in pes was the game play, now ts gone…

Now someone will undoubtedly correct me on this, BUT....

I'm sure I read somewhere last year that all you PS3 owners wouldn't actually get a Pro Evo SPECIFICALLY designed for this platform until the NEXT release, ie. the one AFTER this release?

I was always under the impression that PES6 and the next release (2008) would all be very similar, and designed for the PS2 with a few 'tweaks' only for the next generation consoles. I can recall thinking that I needn't bother buying a PS3 until 2008, when Pro Evo will be designed and released EXCLUSIVELY for, the likes of PS3, 360 etc.

Something to do with Konami's contractual obligations with the console makers/software bods? Seems that after reading these comments, the next gen gamers are playing an airbrushed PS2 version, which I have to say is not that dissapointing for us lowly PS2 owners!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't rush out and get a next gen console for this reason alone.

Finally I got a copy yesterday,

-Stadiums, spectators totally disgrace ( almost like ISS series)

-Sound effects really suck (Commentary is better but who cares? we have been playing it with commentary off) You score a goal but you don't feel like you scored it. There is a disgusting referee whistle as soon as you score it and than a weak fan noise !!! It is so dull and soul-less.
-Game is not dynamic as it was before
-Nets of the goals are worse
-Headers are worse
-Free-kick shooting is better
-Passing is more realistic (short and long)
-Less feeling in the shoots
-Crossing is different
-AI is much better as an opponent and as a teamwork
-Replays (motion replays) are great. It seems like they only worked on it ! This is the only thing that you feel like you are playing a PES 3 game.
-Goalkeepers are ridiculous. You will realize when you play with a friend !
They bounce the ball almost on every shot. It is very annoying. And unfortunately keepers like Cech, Casillas, Van der Sar makes it !
-Some -useless- details (shoes,shirts etc) better
-Tactics, formations, arrows seems less important in that game. I always had attacking difficulties when I used to play 4-4-2 in PES6 and had to play 4-3-3 all the time.Now it seems does not matter.
-Foolish "top game" and complicated "in game" menus
QUOTE]

I have to disagree about the headers, soundeffects and the goal nets. They are a huge improvement from last years version.

And yes the players feel a bit more like they are floating, but I must say that at first I hated it too, but now after 20 games a have to say that this is my favorite PES ever!

-Goals are varied
-long passes work
-shots are better then ever before

The overall feel of the game is just perfect!

The things that do annoy me are:

-The laggy replays
-edit mode still lacking some features
-at the moment online is so laggy that it's a waste of time, but I'm sure they (konami) will fix this within 2 weeks.

Top 10 letdowns for football fans:

1. Defenses split like Moses to the Red Sea. Unintelligent closing down of space
2. Difficulty tackling resulting in CPU going THROUGH 4 players before scoring. Results in astro scores when playing 1 vs 1. Especially noticable because even when you lay off the attacker, it seems like you are lunging and you're easily beaten. HUGE FLAW.
3. Too much space between defense and midfield, attacking striker standing 30 meters from the action, getting ball to feet and the defensive bug kicks in
4. Goalkeeper mistakes
5. No gratification when dribbling, empty feeling because you fluke it, results of unresponsive ball control
6. Unresponsive control, bad control breaking momentum dozens of times in a match
7. Bad cpu runs, never exploiting obvious space.
8. Headed corners by CPU seem unstoppable at times.
9. Less of a feeling of momentum, where one team takes control for a 20 or minute spell, doesn't happen because every team has a deadly counter.
10. Wayward passing and having open players, but facing 2 options. Press X and the player will slow down, by the time he gains control the opponents behind him have caught up. Press through ball, and the ball goes into the space only to be intercepted by the opponents defense infront of the receiver. It's a lose lose situation often.

Konami has fcuked up majorly, again. Disaster and almost unplayable.

Totally agree about the tackling thing mate. I'm playing it on the PS2 and I've noticed that no matter what you do the tackles seem pretty ineffective.
If you slide they skip around you or it's a foul unless it's absoultely perfect and if you stand off and try to time putting a foot in they bundle through you or you kick it out of play. Actually one of the easiest things to do now is just time a run so you steal the ball without pressing any buttons.

It's the same when you're dribbling against the computer but not as often coz, as usual, the comp players are way stronger than you so you go flying at the slightest contact. You do manage to fluke your way through though and no matter what happens after that is disappointing. Especially after you've done it a few times.

Pro Evo just hasnt evolved at all in the last few years. It desperately needs a complete overhaul but we're gonna have to wait another YEAR to get it. MAYBE.

i agree that the game has not evolved alot but if you play it a enough you will get the feel of the game and see it for what it is, football pure and simple.

Yeah I know it's football but it aint pure and it's too simple!

There are gameplay flaws and that does actually affect how the football feels mate.

I've been playing the game now since wednesday, my first impression was, I DONT LIKE IT !! too easy !! too arcade !! too much lag!! but since then I've stopped trying to always run with the ball, and stopped trying to play the same way I used to with PES 6. I started playing with the braodcasting view,(in konamli only as in other satdia too much lag) and the more I play the better it is, the feeling of the shots and passes, the close control, and now I can build passingmoves instead of just running the ball pas the opposition and shooting.

Keep playing the game learn how to play it, and you'll see.

It couldd of course still be better but the potential is huge, and it still beats FIFA !!

the Cro
You expressed almost everything I wanted to. By the way I'd like to mention I played at least 15 matches versus human opponents and (3 of them online) and won almost every single of them. So I am not critisizing the game just because that I can not play . Somehow this game suits my playing-style. I don't play it fast. I play more possesion football,patient and passing game. And I get better results But control and feeling is less.
I can say It is like using a condom ! Less control,less pleasure, less sense,less feeling etc.

I have now played the PS3 and Xbox versions of the game both 1 player, online and vs mates in the same room and the xbox feels slightly faster to me, I prefer Live against PSN but even Konami ackowledge the PS3 version is poor online at the moment.

In terms of the Ps3 slowdown its not as bad as posts would make you feel, yes its unexcusable for a next gen to have this problem but its not in my opinion a major issue, it happends mostly with replays and just reminds me of the Fifa 2008 Xbox replays that looks plastic and as if its skipping frames...

Anyway thought I would let people know that its not all doom and gloom, under the bonnet there is a game, its not great but its not pants either, it just needs time and hopefully seabass and co can get it right next year...anotehr 12 months :(

Back
Top Bottom