How to get past opposing player 1-on-1

Trustpt

Liga NOS
21 October 2009
Portugal
SC Braga
This is my major gripe with this game, no matter if I'm David Silva, Hazard, Robben.. the CPU always seems to predict the direction I'm heading on a quick turn or immediately goes on a sliding tackle and ends up with the ball.

Any tips on how to do this?

P.S.: I've experienced better player balance while accelerating with L1+R1, I have no idea if it actually makes a difference or is just placebo effect

Last edited:
This is my major gripe with this game, no matter if I'm David Silva, Hazard, Robben.. the CPU always seems to predict the direction I'm heading on a quick turn or immediately goes on a sliding tackle and ends up with the ball.

Any tips on how to do this?

P.S.: I've experienced better player balance while accelerating with L1+R1, I have no idea if it actually makes a difference or is just placebo effect

I actually came to evo-web today to try to find the same exact answer !

Cannot effectivly driblle ... and i miss the R1+R2 dribble move of PES 2012 :(

I actually came to evo-web today to try to find the same exact answer !

Cannot effectivly driblle ... and i miss the R1+R2 dribble move of PES 2012 :(
Me too mate, we can't be alone here so I'm hoping there is a way to do it better, otherwise dribbling is ridiculously difficult.

i seem to get by opposition players just fine by changing dribble speed. i normally dash (RB), then when i get close to a opposition player i switch to (RT), change direction, then hit (RB) and dash again

i play on professional difficulty though, so it could just be a difficulty thing

nutmegging (RB+RT) works for me occasionally but only with high acceleration players like walcott

I'm still finding this impossible too. Is there any way you can just knock the ball ahead and try the defender for pace?
I remember on 2011 RT/R2 did this and it worked well I thought.

If your player is following the path of a dribble, he will be going much slower than the computer who isn't everytime. Also the stumble bug lives on - but despite this it's still good fun.

I'm still finding this impossible too. Is there any way you can just knock the ball ahead and try the defender for pace?
I remember on 2011 RT/R2 did this and it worked well I thought.

You can knock the ball on like that still. Says so in the manual :P But you can also triple tap sprint button to get a knock on happening. Approaching a defender you can do the knock on or knock around move to try and beat him as well.

You can knock the ball on like that still. Says so in the manual :P But you can also triple tap sprint button to get a knock on happening. Approaching a defender you can do the knock on or knock around move to try and beat him as well.

Yes I do it all the time with speedy players. It's nowhere near as effective as it was in PES 2012 however (which is a good thing). Dribbling in 1 on 1 situations requires some finger acrobatics but it is very possible. Basically think of it like you would real football. You are aiming to be unpredictable with both your speed and direction.

Most of the time simply feinting in one direction and exiting speedily in the other direction works very well. For example, approach an opponent dribbling westward, just before you reach him shift briefly to the South West, even if he doesn't tackle you the defender will turn his body. At that point exit North West using sprint. It may sound confusing, but when done right the defender will have to backpedal then spin to face you. By the time he's turned, you should already be well past him.
You should really be attempting this using competent dribblers with decent speed.

Those are just the bare basics man. There is a ton more you can do (including sprinting briefly, stopping then changing direction with small taps of the sprint button).

Ok, I've tried numerous different approaches to dribbling but I simply can't get get the hang of it. I'd so love a tutorial, would make the game so much more enjoyable!

I'm not sure if it was just a placebo effect but holding L1 when turning seems to make players more agile. I'm yet to try it in a match though.

What I've learnt online thus far is not too abuse the R2 button. Easily get dispossessed if you hold it, much more effective if you do timed taps of a direction instead IMO. R2 should be used sparingly to set you up for a change in direction.

Speed Merchants are still fucking ridiculous though.

I'm not sure if it was just a placebo effect but holding L1 when turning seems to make players more agile. I'm yet to try it in a match though.

Yeah, I've thought this since PES 2011 but still have no idea. Might just be that it allows you to perceive the effectiveness of normal directional dribbling, with the subconcious impression that L2 is activating the turn. I still hold it down regardless for sharp turns though so...I don't know, you can never tell with PES. That's part of it's character.

@Everyone : Can't Ronaldo use 360 movement? It seems like he's turning 45 degree only.

Back
Top Bottom