Grand Theft Auto: Definitive Editions [PC/PS5/XBS]

I really, vehemently despise it when people use the word "lazy" to describe a dev. People have no idea of the time constraints that devs are put under - sometimes by their own management, sometimes by publishers - to get games released on their much-fanfared release date.

But there are certainly some strange goings-on in these remasters. The fact that they've imported the old scripts verbatim, which means you have pedestrians falling out of the sky when they're loaded in if you travel too fast etc... It's really odd. The head of the Grove Street Games studio has said this was all about keeping them as-is (or as-was). But I find that hard to accept.

Does he really think fans would be pissed off if they fixed things like that? It's so strange. But worse of all are the typos they've introduced in certain assets... It really doesn't look good. I wouldn't be interested in using these devs for any projects in future.

But I'm a huge old-school GTA fan and I've got to admit, I'm largely happy with this remaster. I haven't had a showstopping bug (yet), but I know they're out there. I'm hoping they get patched before I get up to them...

The main thing that's pissing me off is the solid-white rain. I'd go as far as to say it's unplayable when it rains at night, and I truly don't understand how in fuck's name they've released it like that.

EDIT: Also, if they really loved the fans and this wasn't a cash-grab (which it absolutely is, but it's a cash-grab that means I can replay some of my favourite games with updated controls)... They could add an MP3 import option similar to what was in the Vice City PC port.

I'd love to be able to drop the original radio streams in as MP3s. No licensing issues then.

Last edited:
I really, vehemently despise it when people use the word "lazy" to describe a dev. People have no idea of the time constraints that devs are put under - sometimes by their own management, sometimes by publishers - to get games released on their much-fanfared release date.

But there are certainly some strange goings-on in these remasters. The fact that they've imported the old scripts verbatim, which means you have pedestrians falling out of the sky when they're loaded in if you travel too fast etc... It's really odd. The head of the Grove Street Games studio has said this was all about keeping them as-is (or as-was). But I find that hard to accept.

Does he really think fans would be pissed off if they fixed things like that? It's so strange. But worse of all are the typos they've introduced in certain assets... It really doesn't look good. I wouldn't be interested in using these devs for any projects in future.

But I'm a huge old-school GTA fan and I've got to admit, I'm largely happy with this remaster. I haven't had a showstopping bug (yet), but I know they're out there. I'm hoping they get patched before I get up to them...

The main thing that's pissing me off is the solid-white rain. I'd go as far as to say it's unplayable when it rains at night, and I truly don't understand how in fuck's name they've released it like that.

EDIT: Also, if they really loved the fans and this wasn't a cash-grab (which it absolutely is, but it's a cash-grab that means I can replay some of my favourite games with updated controls)... They could add an MP3 import option similar to what was in the Vice City PC port.

I'd love to be able to drop the original radio streams in as MP3s. No licensing issues then.
I have played a fair bit of GTA SA and I like it , purely because I get to play a game I really loved back when.
Cash grab?
Yes it's the way it is nowadays in all fields of business ,when was the last time anyone (read multi billion company) did anything for the love of the game/movie/music.

This a article from a basketball video game site I follow ,mainly retro gaming.
But it covers how us consumers and them (developers) are stuck in a toxic relationship that for us "surprisingly" swings both ways (a note on your "lazy" Devs).
Critique should be given if something is bad absolutely ,but sometimes it looks and feels like a feeding frenzy ,throw a bucket of blood down to the sharks type of interaction/reaction

Man sometimes I just feel like getting rid of all social media and it's fast paced "critique" (or likes/cashflow tbh)

Said it right when I saw the trailer.

The art style changed for the worst. The originals look more realistic than the remaster. Add all the bugs and inconsistencies on top of that and it turns into a full disappointment.

Don't know if it was already said, but the remaster has made by "Grove Street Games".

https://grovestreetgames.com/

It's a mobile devs who produced for the first time a PC/Console game witht the GTA Trilogy. But they already did the reverse, like some port from console to mobile like "Ark" etc.
Well, Ark for example looks good for mobile on video on a small screen, but it's minimalist.

Mobile. Mobile everywhere. I just want to trow my Samsung Galaxy on the toilet, just like that. And "after", you know

I've ranted about the impossible-to-drive-in rain three times now, I know. But.

It took PC modders a day to fix this (and to add the missing songs back):

gta_rain.jpg

Why the hell did I buy it on console.

No ones was aware of that level of bug we discover in more than the originals.
Not your fault, i suppose you got a better room to play on console than on PC (that's my case).

Well that one/bug is too big for not having a patch i think

I've ranted about the impossible-to-drive-in rain three times now, I know. But.

It took PC modders a day to fix this (and to add the missing songs back):

gta_rain.jpg

Why the hell did I buy it on console.
I think the gta modding community knows the games better than Rockstar. Over the many years they have mastered everything with serious limitations caused by the engine.

I would have headhunted the top modders for doing the remaster. Maybe then this mess would have never happened.
To use the "Remastered" mobile version as the basis is laughable, because back on planet earth, the modding community always used the original pc version as the base.

The only time the mobile/360 version was needed was to take from and enhance the pc version mods. It was well known the xbox 360/ mobile ports was very glitchy..

I would be interested to know the experience/ages of the Grove street games dev team, because ATM when they are compared against GTA's modding community, it be like...

p1djdf40y3371.jpg :DD

PS yeah Chris why did you buy it on console?? :D On PC the options on graphics are always more and usually looks better (although in this instance, not stunning). But many things need optimising on the PC like frame rates and such.

So ATM i wouldn't recommend anyone getting this trilogy until patches hopefully take care of the issues.

You know that a rumour goes around where this was a mobile version port and those devs used an AI algorithm to do almost everything (for that reason there are distorsions in bodies, weird artstyle, bugs & glitches... Take it with a grain of salt, but some true could be in there, apart of being a quick cashgrab also can be called lazy mostly from the part of the publishers who contracted a mobile game developer to do the job especially in this particular way... Personally I'll pass, I'm ok with the classic steam versions of this trilogy that are superior, plus mods that are better than this "definitive edition" remaster...

If you guys want true remaster of San Andreas with modern controls and graphics and some nice physics update, look into this. Having a blast with this:

I've been really enjoying GTA 3 so far. Haven't really seen any bugs personally although the shooting still has it's issues. All that aside, it's a wave of nostalgia, I got this game for Christmas 2001 and have never played anything like it at the time. 11 year old me found hours of pleasure and wonderment in exploring every corner of the map hoping to find something nobody else has or something I'm not supposed to...

This game's world is burned into my mind and I know it better than the back of my balls. Revisiting this 20 years later with the new shades, draw distance and controls gives this familiar world a fresh perspective for me. I also think stylistically this game has fared better out of the 3 remasters. GTA 3 had the crudest character models of them all so in a strange way the remodels seem more faithful.

I'm sure by the time if finish this one, the talented modders will fix most of the bullshit surrounding VC & SA. They've moved incredibly fast so far which is remarkable given how Rockstar have treated them leading up to this release.

The game's going to keep us entertained with memes and videos for years, but I have to say it's so sad though, Rockstar games have given me the greatest memories out of all developers and I've been a gamer for nigh on 40 years now since this beauty:

1d3eeaa4-7e54-11e6-9174-12e2ab4ae402.jpg

To my mind Red Dead Redemption 2 is the greatest game ever released, will the studio ever reach those peaks again? There's already leaks saying that GTA 6 is in big trouble because there's no leadership left at Rockstar and certainly no creative leadership, that the main roles have been taken by more corporate types. Rockstar and Take 2 were always fighting this battle between creative brilliance and corporate greed and it's looking like the latter has won out, but what's their prize? The value and status of Rockstar is going to go down significantly after this release.

Also a game for more than 40 years (i'm 45 now).
Obviously played a lot of pong. And loved pinball machines as well.

I did play a lot of Atari too, but this is one of the first consoles that I owned.
Had some pretty great games, even though it was not on the level of Atari.

Acetronic-MPU-1000.jpg

If GTA 6 does happen, I can only imagine it being primarily an online MMO crammed with Shark Cards and other microtransactions (probably lootboxes too, the game is 18+ after all) with a bit of single player tacked on as an afterthought.

They already didn't do any DLC or expand on the GTA V single player whatsoever in the 8 years since release, but have kept adding (often ridiculous) content to GTA Online all the way through to this year.

Ready mates for the next one in the prosperous GTA series? Next, Grove Street Games will give us some android flavour, the AI itself developing for the GTA hardcore fans some Niko Belic in action:

imfz7mg8tfz71.jpg

Can't wait to see how immersive will be the lighting in the next entry... :APPLAUD:

It's another publisher tasting another slice of that sweet humble pie. What will it take for the clueless corporate suits above them to start learning you can't hide your carelessness, The internet won't take this unfinished product culture and it certainly won't let anyone forget it about it any time soon either.

Embarrassment that could've been avoided except for their own arrogance and ignorance. And having to publicly admit to their mistake of underestimating the fury of trying and failing to erase the significant original versions either.

I laugh so hard at this. I remember some rockstar fans mocking CDPR for disaster release of Cyberpunk. Almost every comment i saw on YT said that R* would never sell the game unfinished and yet here we go XD

Back
Top Bottom