GREECE thread

fib91

One-kit wonder
29 December 2007
Greece
PAOK
Team_Greece_(Football)_300.jpg

Goalkeepers:
Chalkias(PAOK), Sifakis(Aris), Tzorvas(Palermo)

Defenders:
Torosidis(Olympiakos), Avraam Papadopoulos(Olympiakos), Kyriakos Papadopoulos(Schalke), Malezas(PAOK), Holebas(Olympiakos), Tzavelas(Monaco), Papastathopoulos(Werder Bremen).

Midfielders:
Makos(AEK), Maniatis(Olympiakos), Katsouranis(Panathinaikos), Karagounis(Panathinaikos), Fotakis(PAOK), Fortounis(Kaiserslautern), Ninis(Panathinaikos), Fetfatzidis(Olympiakos)

Attackers:
Samaras(Celtic), Salpingidis(PAOK), Gekas(Samsunspor), Lyberopoulos(AEK), Mitroglou(Atromitos).

OK.To be fair,our squad is shite.I'm all for some players like Karagounis or Salpingidis in the team,but Lyberopoulos?He's waaay too old ffs.Plus I thought we'd do everything to clear the debt,but a German player in the Greek NT (Holebas it's about you) that's even below average,that's too much.Santos,stop it.

But we'll be shite anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to see Greece again, hopefully with attractive football..

i think underdogs always have things easyer ;)

That's a team with a lot of solid DEFENSIVE players though. I think the squad isn't bad except Lyberopoulos who I don't understand why is there.

Well,Santos had a few alternatives,but he decided to take the piss instead.Experience my arse,Lyberopoulos' 38 ffs.And Chalkias,Tzorvas... Both utter shite.Karnezis and Chiotis should've been there instead.

Yeah the goalies are shaky although I like Tzorvas more but Lyberopoulos probably won't get any playing time anyway. He's like last choice forward. Maybe if others get injured which hopefully won't be the case.

I agree with Lyberopoulos, it should be Athanasiadis instead (scored 17 goals this season).
Also i thought that it was granted that Chiotis will be at the squad but i was surprised (not only me at all :P).

I do not expect for Greece to score (many) goals :P

Greece are in the weakest group so you never know, they could do well. The squad looks a bit weak in attack but then Euro 2004 was won by being defensive.

I hope Greece has a good tournament and makes you all proud. You guys need cheering up after all the bad things happening in Greece right now.

If we get past the groups then get the Germans... dammit.
But who knows?It was France back then.We all thought we'd be screwed and... rest you know.

Well,the problem is that with Avraam out and Papastathopoulos (Sokratis is his first name,Papastathopoulos can't be easily said obv) out too (well,this was silly),K.Papadopoulos and who?I guess Katsouranis,he has played as DC before,and Malezas is not experienced enough to start,we'll see.

Avraam Papadopoulos is our fastest defender, so the pair in our defence always has a fast defender with good marking and tackling abilities (Avraam) and a more strength-oriented defender, with excellent marking and tackling abilities (K. Papadopoulos or Papastathopoulos).
Now we only have both of the latter, Malezas and Katsouranis who is a DM converted to a DC. And now that Sokratis has a red card for the next game, there are only three choices K. Papadopoulos with Malezas or Katsouranis.

(PS. Also, A. Papadopoulos will not be with Olympiakos for the Champions League games next season, a terrible loss :P )

Fuuuuuuck!I've fuckin' had enough of the shit!
I agree, today you play very bad, but a goal, I think, you still scored because an offside position there was just a tiny, the referee could and legalize goal, but ... :ROLL:

Last edited:
We ALL said it BEFORE the tournament, that Chalkias shouldn't be starting GK, Fernando Santos didn't listen and this is what happened!

5 mins in, two goals conceded, low confidence, goal from last game of Lewandowski was also to his indecision making, coming out for yet another cross but not gathering ball and leaving goal wide ope.

Then he feigned injury 15 mins in, even thougn not much was wrong with him. You could tell pressure is just too much and he wanted out.

I felt really bad for the guy but there's no place or time for sympathy at the highest level. Chalkias should have never been #1 goalie and Greece have paid for it!

Fortounis was a bit selfish today and at times instead of making simple pass was trying to go around defenders. Was glad to see him subbed but at the end, Greek play with no strategy and 4 strikers on field, just long ball and Mitroglou didn't win a single f'n header!

If it wasn't for the horrible Cech mistake, then Greece wouldn't have even had a chance.

Anyway, all is not over yet but it'll be very complicated now!

Chalkias was either taking the piss or completely ashamed.The one that was shitty was Katsouranis,this guy can't play CB ffs.

Yeah well he's not a CB and poor guy had to play there.

Where as Chalkias has ALWAYS been a shaky goalkeeper. Anyone remember his brief spell in Portsmouth? Guy pissed his pants every time there was a cross back then too. Indecisive and unsure of himself which is the WORST thing you can have in a goalkeeper. It doesn't inspire confidence in your defence.

Anyway K. Papadopoulos is a rising star. Everyone can see that.

I don't like Santos' tactics. Ninis or Fetzakis should've come in. A bit of creativity, flair and dribbling. Guys who can win you penalties and deliver good crosses and dribble past one or two. Instead of putting Samaras on left and bringing in Mitroglou and playing with 4 strikers but two of them out wide.

We ALL said it BEFORE the tournament, that Chalkias shouldn't be starting GK, Fernando Santos didn't listen and this is what happened!

5 mins in, two goals conceded, low confidence, goal from last game of Lewandowski was also to his indecision making, coming out for yet another cross but not gathering ball and leaving goal wide ope.

Then he feigned injury 15 mins in, even thougn not much was wrong with him. You could tell pressure is just too much and he wanted out.

I felt really bad for the guy but there's no place or time for sympathy at the highest level. Chalkias should have never been #1 goalie and Greece have paid for it!

Fortounis was a bit selfish today and at times instead of making simple pass was trying to go around defenders. Was glad to see him subbed but at the end, Greek play with no strategy and 4 strikers on field, just long ball and Mitroglou didn't win a single f'n header!

If it wasn't for the horrible Cech mistake, then Greece wouldn't have even had a chance.

Anyway, all is not over yet but it'll be very complicated now!
You are right. I do not understand how Santos could do a number on the euro, of the goalkeeper, who played a few matches in the selection or not played either one (I'm not exactly sure)? That's and the result.

Anyway, this match was just awful for one and for the other teams, although in the first half Czechs looked very not bad.

Lets not talk about assistant referee's decision about Fotakis goal at the 1st half and some fouls that was eiter very strict or loose.

I am amazed from K. Papadopoulos, he was very solid, in short our best player. Actually it was expected, he is gonna become one of the best defenders in few years.

Chalkias, Samaras and Katsouranis were disappointing.
I was really surprised when i saw that Chalkias was again in starting eleven. Fortunately he got "injured" (just tried to prevent more negative comments and goals against Greece).
I also don't understand why Samaras is still playing.
I hope he will not play against Russia.

For the next match it's time for Santos to give a chance to Fetfatzidis and also see Ninis in a different role.
And i think that it would be better if we start with Mitroglou at CF position.

Back
Top Bottom