Graphics issues when using Pcsx2 (PES 2008)

Rodrigo3003

Non-League
30 July 2013
Brazil
Cruzeiro
I use the newest version of pcsx2, but I've noticed this problem since previous versions. No matter what setting I use, strange artifacts always appear on players' heads. It's not something that draws much attention, but it ends up bothering me. Has anyone noticed the same error? Do you know how to resolve? Thanks.

Captura de tela 2023-04-04 090612.pngCaptura de tela 2023-04-04 085855.pngCaptura de tela 2023-04-04 085432.png

Hello,

Are these artifcats also appearing in replay mode ?

I'll try and let you know, I'm playing it on PCSX2 too but haven't noticed this so far.

Ive noticed this problem for a couple of years with PES and PCSX2 it always bugged me and I investigated it loads

imo I think it might be to do with the LOD maybe KONAMI to get the best frame rate and knowing it wouldnt show up on at the normal resolution it was originally made for they made the hair files pop in at low res

I looked for ways to hex edit the sles and increase the LOD but couldn't find a solution. I might be wrong but if you play Winning Eleven 6 on PCSX2 the issue isnt there and appears from PES 3 onwards

I and another person have already raised this months ago on the official PCSX2 Github bug tracker. A contributor responded and said they were aware of the issue and suggested trying the software renderer (from my tests it appears to eliminate the issue but then you lose all the benefits of the hardware renderer such as upscaling etc). Also there is another issue that affects the goalkeepers movement on all versions post PES6. You will notice the incredibly glitchy GK movement where it looks like they are missing animation frames. Both issues were raised on their bug tracker. Hopefully one day they will be rectified.

I recommend you dont use the stable version as it is very outdated now. Grab one of the nightly 1.7 builds with the new UI and other improvements.

Ive noticed this problem for a couple of years with PES and PCSX2 it always bugged me and I investigated it loads

imo I think it might be to do with the LOD maybe KONAMI to get the best frame rate and knowing it wouldnt show up on at the normal resolution it was originally made for they made the hair files pop in at low res

I looked for ways to hex edit the sles and increase the LOD but couldn't find a solution. I might be wrong but if you play Winning Eleven 6 on PCSX2 the issue isnt there and appears from PES 3 onwards
Solution with LOD has already found https://evoweb.uk/threads/pes-we-jl-fix-lod-level.91388/ but this doesn't fix flickering. With a ''very high'' level of LOD, the textures of kits and shorts also begin to flicker. This is an emulator problem.

P.S. If anyone is interested, here are the PCSX2 developers' comments on this bug:

''unfortunately depth on PC GPU's is 32bit floating point, and it just doesn't have the precision the PS2 has (32bit integer), so we have depth problems like this showing up. There are potentially things we can do, but it could be super slow, and might need to be reserved for ROV implementations, not sure yet, I'm not really one of the GPU guys so I can't say for certain.''

and

''Nobody's currently working on this issue, with due to the technical limitations (depth precision), and lack of interest. You're always welcome to work on it yourself. But we're all volunteers, we work on what we feel like and are interested in.''

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom