GOALS - oh good, another eSports soccer game

PRO_TOO

Team Heffernan
25 May 2003
Rego Park, Germany
Team Heffernan
MOD EDIT: Don't get excited, folks. It's an eSports game that's all about the goals...

1500x500.jpg

Manufacturer:
Developer:
Genre:
Sport-Simulation
Number Of Players: tba
Technical Data (Resolution/Framerate): tba
Distribution Format: tba
Size: tba
Compatible Systems: Ptba
Price: F2P
Release Date: tba
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/goalsgame
Discord: (talk to the developers): https://discord.com/invite/4PCNABPTxW

more info coming soon...

News:
18 August, 2021

FIFA and eFootball competitor GOALS announced by SK Gaming founder​

A new football game is set to hit the market, with gaming entrepreneur Andreas Thorstensson announcing the formation of his upcoming AAA title, GOALS.
https://www.dexerto.com/gaming/goals-football-game-announced-1633622/

Last edited by a moderator:
Developer on Discord. We will share more game design decisions over time. But simply put we want to move away from the slow paced simulation kind of game that is FIFA/PES. Football games should be fast paced in our opinion (without being exaggerated).

so even more arcade than FIFA :YAWN:

Developer on Discord. We will share more game design decisions over time. But simply put we want to move away from the slow paced simulation kind of game that is FIFA/PES. Football games should be fast paced in our opinion (without being exaggerated).

so even more arcade than FIFA :YAWN:
@Tom
admins, please... can you take away that opening post from my account!? :LOL: i did not know!!

db3dc835d92143d0eb14f332782237a0.gif

Kurt ? a familiar name. isn't that a whiny fifa youtuber ?
The only Kurt I used to know, was Kurt Cobain.

So it seems we are obviously doomed both sides.

As someone that I live in the dark side of the moon, and see only bad in the world, I now re-realise why EA/KONAMI will never again cater the offline crowd. When even a third pole comes, and instead of go for the free sheeps, he goes for the PvP contest, you can understand pretty much where are we trapped.

And to me it seems that this KONAMI move to F2p, with EA to follow in the coming years, it worked as a backdoor pilot for any other developer, to tale courage and throw a F2P service.

Since the big2 A+ footy devs go that way, what can stop any other to throw a cross platform mobile code with scalable mechanics.

So let's forget that a proper dev will go and invest in a career/offline content/mode.

Bad times to be a single player fan. :) Seems we reached the end of the line. The age of extinction. And those offline footy games will become even worse tragedy, than the Michael Bay's Transformers movies!!

Last edited:
Everything pointing against this being a good game.
  • The way they're describing their ambitions
  • The involvement of that Kurt melt
  • The fact they want to "reward" players with NFTs (still can't get over this... hilarious!)
  • And that in the announcement thread you have the putative developer talking about how there won't be handicapping and rubber-banding...
On that last point: I don't want to get into a scripting debate, and I recognise that in offline game modes, these sports games can introduce factors that influence the momentum of play. But: there is no plausible evidence for scripting online in PES or FIFA, and if you're actually a developer who understands how these games are made, I highly doubt you would give the claims the time of day, let alone market it as a key point of how you develop your new game.

The only positive way I can spin this would be that if this does gain a big following and owns the esports/arcade market, maybe FIFA would have to go the opposite way to carve out it's own identity as a simulation.

Or they could both keep trying to outdo each other as esports nonsense, or this thing could be a total flop, perhaps never even releasing. These options seem far more likely.

How and why would you want to introduce to the world your brand new company/game which supposedly is going to be a AAA Game that's going to compete with FIFA (and... that other new joke by Konami) without showing a single screenshot or video?.

Surely you'd want it to impact beyond mere words.

Let the kids have their game.

I saw someone write something along the lines of needing less unpredictability in the game. Apparently ball physics are useless and a waste of everyone's time. And yeah, fifa is slow.

I've been wishing for a new contender in the football gaming market for years, so I'm glad we're finally getting one, regardless of its direction, competition is important to stop monopolies from doing whatever they want, like EA do in pretty much all of their sports titles, just look at how stagnant Madden is, for example.

I like the F2P model too, I do dislike the fact that Konami is going with it, but this case is different, that is a beloved franchise with over 25 years of history, this is a brand new title, this model means that anyone can give the game a shot without spending anything, it's crucial for a newcomer in the market to offer something like this, or else most people won't even bother experimenting with it, because once money is involved most of us will play it safe and just stick with what we know instead of experimenting, that's natural.

The little bit we've seen of visual identity and branding already looks much better than eFOOTBALL too, which is somewhat funny due to how embarassing it is for Konami in a way, I don't think this looks amazing, but what Konami's doing is an eyesore, this is decent. One last thing I'd like to give them credit for is the Discord server, and also having a developer message us here in this thread, open communication and transparency is important, so this is nice to see.

Now, I don't want to be harsh, because we've literally seen no gameplay at all so far, but that's actually my first critique, I believe an announcement like this should be made if you already have something to show, anything, just a logo is not enough, you can talk about your direction all you want, there's nothing wrong with that, but you can't offer only words, there needs to be something more substancial, so this is a dissapointing way to start.

When it comes to the direction, that's where I can see that this isn't for me, which is fine really, no product has the obligation to appeal to me, and I'm glad we might be getting a new football title at all to bring some much needed competition into the football gaming landscape, but it's clear to me that I won't be playing this, I might give it a shot due to it being F2P, but will probably uninstall quickly, afterall it's focused on multiplayer and esports above all else, no mention of there even being any offline modes at all, so it's clear to me, especially from the developer tweets, that this is a FIFA Ultimate Team game for FIFA Ultimate Team players who are upset about FIFA at the moment, either due to "AI defending", "lack of a skillgap" or "scripting".

Sadly, I get the feeling that I'll dislike playing this more than FIFA, considering that we've been told that this game wants to "move away from the slow paced simulation kind of game that is FIFA/PES." I can definitely understand FIFA players looking at PES as a simulation, personally I don't think a game which has suffered for having almost no fouls for 8 years can be considered a serious simulation, but I digress, either way I cannot understand how FIFA, especially online FIFA, can be considered a slow paced simulation.

For any developers that might be reading this, I really don't want you to get disencouraged, or have the impression that we automatically hate any game that isn't a 100% pure simulation, because that's not the case at all, by lurking here on Evo-Web not only will you find some wonderful and passionate people, but you'll also find that a lot of us are sometimes playing football games from the 80's, 90's and early 2000's, which obviously have limitations that don't allow them to be all that realistic, with the exception perhaps of PES3 and PES5.

It's not that we want a game to be a 100% simulation of the sport at all, I understand that the moment you have to condense a 90min match into 10min or 15min it's going to be faster, but too fast, faster than FIFA, doesn't sound good, not because it's unrealistic, but because it's stressful and hard to follow, there's no time to breathe when everything is moving quickly at all times, it also makes it harder to appreciate what's going on, every pass, every play, etc... and the moment you have quick passing like Pep's Barcelona all of the time it stops being impressive and special, it loses all magic it once had, the game doesn't have to play in the same pace as real football, but as a football game it needs to recreate the feel of the sport, and sometimes in a real match things stop, things slow down, you can breathe, you can stop sprinting, that's important.

What I'm trying to say is that, as a football game, the pillars of football have to be intact, this includes, for example, the defense mechanic being more than a 1v1 situation, the AI controlled defenders and defensive midfielders need to move and position themselves well to some degree like they do in real life, or else you're misrepresenting those footballing positions entirely, it's not a matter of "AI defending", when attackers make runs no one calls that "AI attacking", we shouldn't have double standards.

Well, this essay is already long enough, I apologize, sometimes it's hard for me to just stop talking once I start for some reason, either way I wish all of the developers good luck and hope that we get more news and content soon, hopefully some gameplay too, so we can have a better idea of what the game is actually going to be like. Godspeed!

Last edited:
Let the kids have their game.

I saw someone write something along the lines of needing less unpredictability in the game. Apparently ball physics are useless and a waste of everyone's time. And yeah, fifa is slow.
Its almost like they want to go back to the absolute beginning of football games, where there were two buttons, stiff ball, 8 directions, lightning speed, arcade gameplay and no AI.
Its amazing how something like this can appeal to anyone.

Back
Top Bottom