Getting a GP2X

pboreham

Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.
5 August 2002
C*lchester
Southend Utd
Anyone else got one of these little hand helds?

I'm gonna pick up either the earlier F100/F200 models - OR if the 'Wiz' is actually out this week, I may get that.

The F100 is my first choice - Black, had a thumbstick cheaper. The F200 is white (urgh) has a crappy looking Dpad and though it has a touch screen, its not a dealbreaker. Its also around 2x as expensive as the F100.

The Wiz certainly looks nicer than the other two, but I'm wary about buying the first revision of the hardware from such a small company.

Will be using it mainly for MAME/SNES emulators I reckon, but the fact this plays all the old classics, is gonna make it a great little machine.

I had my eye on one before I got my Nintendo DS but opted for the DS instead with an R4 card :COOL:

The GP2X's look pretty nifty though, not sure it's worth the expense for me unfortunately.

I had my eye on one before I got my Nintendo DS but opted for the DS instead with an R4 card :COOL:

The GP2X's look pretty nifty though, not sure it's worth the expense for me unfortunately.

Yea, done the DS - brought and sold (though my missus still loves hers) and had a couple of PSPs too, but they've never stuck (even though the last one was 'very special' :LOL:).

When I built my arcade machine, I collected a whole set of MAME roms (near 7000) and miss playing them. Plus the chance to have a SNES, Neo-Geo, Amiga etc all very easily set up and run is more appealing than f**king around with the PSP again.

I'm off on hols soon, so this is for 'lazy' gaming :)

is it easy to get the emulators working on this or is it a lot of hassle and what emulators work MAME Raine etc?

is it easy to get the emulators working on this or is it a lot of hassle and what emulators work MAME Raine etc?

Its designed to run emulators, so its just drag and drop to SD Card. Think some configs need a bit of fiddling, but you expect that with emus.

Most older system Emus work - from what i understand, everything from Speccy/C64 up to SNES (and some PSX) and Neo-Geo.

MAME works (0.34 game set) and there are also dedicated emulators for the CPS2/3 systems and finally another emu called "Final Burn Alpha" which does some other more recent arcade games.

Not seen anything about RAINE :( I loved that emu!

Looking forward to getting it! :))

I think that Pandora handheld is looking a lot more promising. Much higher resolution, touch screen, comes with 4 face buttons, 2 shoulder buttons, 2 anaolgue sticks and a full qwerty keyboard.

I think that Pandora handheld is looking a lot more promising. Much higher resolution, touch screen, comes with 4 face buttons, 2 shoulder buttons, 2 anaolgue sticks and a full qwerty keyboard.

My big problem with the Pandora - besides the delays - is that it (seems like) is being made by 2 guys in a shed.

I'd be worried about spending £200+ on a handheld that is not made to a high standard or backed with a decent warranty.

I'm gonna wait till it launches and gets out into the wild, then see what peoples experience with it is.

I agree its got the potential to be great though.

My GP2x should arrive today, so may chuck some thoughts up later (about 3 years too late)...

Yeah, can't disagree with that. The finish on the whole device does look a bit cheap. Looks like it could fall apart if you dropped it on your bed.
But I'm hoping the final thing looks different.

Arrived today :)

Must say I feel 'underwhelmed' - BUT, not because there is anything wrong with the GP2x, more because... well, it just 'works'.

I've stuck some MAME roms on there... work no problems. Stuck some NeoGeo on there... works no problem.

Think its the feeling of 'been there/done that' having used emulators for as long as I can remember. Its great to have them on the go and i guess I'm just impressed how easy it is to use and how well everything runs.

If anyone is thinking of getting one, then dont hesitate, they are actually great :)

Back
Top Bottom