From WE9 to WE9LE – 7 month road to "almost" perfection

soyo

WEplayWE Creator
28 November 2007

1260892333.jpg

The most realistic game released in PES history - WE9LE
Legacy and it’s history

I had this idea for a while, to write down (so that it won’t get lost) what I remember, but never really got an impulse to do it. Well I decided to finaly stress my memory and do it because I think this game deserves it for the road it took to where we’re now. This is simply a written testimony of we9le legacy, based on my memories, as well as some reaserch I did to substiantiate (remember) the right order and dates of those. If I made a mistake somewhere down the line, I appologise as it was unintentional. If someone would like to correct me, please do so. I will welcome anybody who either does that, or maybe adds something more that I didn’t write down here, that is in relation with we9le history. Also one sidenote, I will write this from weplaywe perspective, but I know russian scene also have their large group (pes5-club) that plays we9le till this moment. Kudos to them for that.

Looking at this document, it really brings tear to my eye how far we’ve come, against all odds (how small this game was in terms of being known). It is really a big sentiment for me, when I remember the days in 2006. I would like to thank upfront everyone who contributed to the we9le franchise, and kept this game alive for so long, either mentioned here explicitely, or not.

I hope I won't be boring anybody here, and someone finds this story interesting. Our story starts with the typical KONAMI cycle back in those days. (some dates might be off couple of days, this is due to stores errors, or some releases being shown that are specified to the particular country of release)

Upfront we must ofcourse point out, that the main contribution towards WE9LE is that of the KONAMI, as they made the game (duh). Nothing from below could have been accomplished if KONAMI (and Seabass) did not work out this amazing game, through all their PES5 iterations. So thanks KONAMI!

20110804konami.jpg

2005 August (Aug 02-04 2005) – First iteration of PES 5 is being released in Japan for PS2, under the name (Wonder, Wonder) World Soccer: Winning Eleven 9 (1)(2)

2005 October/November – PES5, improved japanian WE9 is being released mostly in Europe (1)(4)

2005 Novemeber – J. League Winning Eleven 9 Asia Championship, 3rd iteration of the PES5 series (5)

2005 December – K. League Winning Eleven 9 Asia Championship (6)

2006 February (7/8 Febr) – Winning Eleven 9 International is being released, 4th iterarion of PES5 series (1)(7)

Let me pause here for a second, because we need to mention some confussion in the online dates being shown on PC version. If you look on the web on play asia, or amazon or ign o rany other site, most (or all) of them will show a release dates for PS2 and XBOX version as beginning of February, while suprisingly they will show PC release date being in april, or even may (for some of them). This is not a true release date of the PC version of we9i. When I first saw those release dates today I was very suprised because I remember very well those days of PES5 series, and I already was playing this game(we9i on PC) way before april/may. So I did a little more digging, and shifted from looking at the release dates on the online sites, to looking for testimony of actual gamers. I’m sure we would find more of these, but the single soccergaming thread should suffice:

http://www.soccergaming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130249

Basicaly what happened was, KONAMI release the WE9i in february for all platforms (so PS2, XBOX and PC), but both Americas got it delayed (like always) and received it only couple months later. As you see though, one guy bought the game already on 7th february on a PC(he’s from Singapoure though), which shows the actual release date of PC version, which corresponds to PS2 and XBOX one. Also, one person reported the official press release dates from konami website:

The release date for Xbox ,PS2,PSP and PC is exactely the same the 7th February 2006 and has NOT been pushed back. Wolf has already shown you here:-

http://www.konami.com/gs/news.php

Look in the 3rd peice of news dated 02.03.06 and I have already ordered mine from a web site in ASIA that had copies in stock dating back to the 19th january.

Konami have limited the amount of retailers that would normally stock it, in the US... But I do not know why. Also I do not know why EBgames and other US retailers have changed their release date...very strange

In conclusion and what you must remember is, yes the american market got the we9i after we9le release date, but it’s only because KONAMI holded the release of we9i (4th iteration) from february, for couple months.

we9.gif

WE9LE-box.jpg

2006 March (6 march) – Last, 5th itteration of PES5 series is being released exclusively on Korean market under the name of WE9LE – Winning Eleven 9 Liveware Evolution

2006 March/April – Word gets out at italian pro evolution forum about a hidden gem (we9le); Now I cannot find this thread, I did run into it couple years ago and I wish I had it bookmarked, but I didn’t; but the first place where this game was discovered (outside of Korea) was one of the italian forums about pes

2006 May – 2 months after the korean premiere, the word about WE9LE gets out to english speaking gamers with Energia posting about we9le on soccergaming.com:

http://www.soccergaming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131912

Initaly the game was only possible to be played in korean, as the English Patch by Energia or K-Patch was not done yet at this point. So people had to „Guess” where is what on the screens, based on their pes5/we9 memory.

2006 May - Energia releases the first ever WE9LE Patch targetting solely the translation of Korean texts to English.

http://www.soccergaming.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2052082&postcount=12

Energia said:
WE9 Liveware Evolution (corean) English Patch 0.9 by Energia:

the patch translate the 95% of menù of the game (not players or teams names)

use dkz studio version 0.92b or latest version to apply correctly the patch...

the patch must be applaied to the file k_text.afs of the game...

Download English patch 0.9 by Energia...

I hope so more people in the world can appreciate this game and his Fantastic GAMEPLAY!!!

2006 May - The word is spreading. maciek_ssi (manner) a known polish pes scene member begin his quest to educate the polish PES scene about the new king of PES - WE9LE with his post informing about Energia English Patch.

http://issonline.pl/?cmd=pokaz&id=1147123538

(One funny fact for you) maciek_ssi, is the person thanks to whom the work done by lyjsym spreaded very effectively to everybody in the world at those days. Why is that, will have to remain a secret ;), but it's not hard to guess.

maciek_ssi is also a creator of some of the pes tutorials, including we9le ones.

2006 May (end of may)lyjsym, a known patcher at that time, converts his great xbox k-patch for we9 to we9le, that was used by WE9LE players all around the world for years to come:

All credits for k_patch conversion from xbox and WE9, to lyjsym

Originally Posted by lyjsym
### WE9 LIVEWARE EVOLUTION KOREA Version.###
1.k_text,option all english - all real logo,PES5 updated option.

2.k_sound player call name corrected.

3.k_sound all national team call name and almost team call name translated to ENG.

4.But commentary is Korean language.- impossible to chage.

5.0_text,0_sound patch from XBOX K_PATCH v1.43 - fully updated kits,boots,more than 300 real faces/hairs,stadiums,turfs,adboard,supporters flags,everthig.

6.06 worldcup ready
-06 worldcup schedule saves
block5 : player spain
block6 : player england
block7 : player brazil
block8 : player france
block9 : player germany
block10: player argentina
block11: player italy
block12: player korea
-----> exacltly same schedule before big4 match.
why big4 match? -> Ask KONAMI.
------> name of F,H changed to B,D for correct schedule.

7.balls original - for all normal PC user
================================================== ======================
================================================== =======================
================================================== =======================
##### K_patch finale (updated date:jun 02 2006)###########

### MEMORY of WC2006 ###

Our story breaks here for a long time (till 2009). That’s indeed is a long time and you probably wonder what happened. Well, the thing was, as much as briliant WE9LE was, and how big shocker it was for pes5 scene, and for those who knew about it, we9le was not being able to be played online unless you:

1) Were living in Korea having a korean ID
2) Had original WE9LE game, that was only being sold in Korea (and how hard it was to get it from outside of Korea I documented in one of my threads, which basicaly took me around 5 years to get one single copy – and even if I got one back in 2006 I would still not be able to play it due to restrictions of online gaming in Korea)

While if you wanted to play PES5 you could easily do so on KONAMI official servers (as long as you had genuine copy of PES5), since it was being sold internationaly.

How important online gaming was at the time, could easily tell you pes6 gamers. PES6 basicaly trumped the pes5, not because it was more realistic (it was quite opposite, KONAMI made it very arcade in comparison to pes5), but because the first servers that allowed to play pes6 in „educational way” came before pes5 ones, and when pes5 servers arrived it was too late for pes5 to catch up, even though it was a more realistic game of the two (much more – my opinion).

Well, for pes5 online gaming it was well and good for a while, until a big news came out from KONAMI in february 2007 (I guess to many still played pes5, and not pes6 :P )

Konami Press Release:

The curtain comes down on PES 5 Online play

The PES 5 ONLINE service will be terminating on April 2nd, 2007. The servers will be permanently shut down and you will no longer be able to play the ONLINE mode. Here at Konami we wanted to thank each and every one of you all very much for playing! We hope that if you haven't made the upgrade to PES 6 already, then you'll be rushing out to get yourself a copy and keep the ONLINE community bursting at the seams.

Thank you all again for your loyalty and continued support of the Pro Evolution Soccer series.

Well, I don’t have to tell you, some gamers got really pissed, because they still played pes5 and preffered it, and not pes6. KONAMI needed to get some quick buck I guess, so here goes the closing of pes5 servers.

2009 February – legendary team TurkMania/reddwarf with assistance of _anderson (testing) start working on GoalServer5 that will allow to play online in pes5 outside of KONAMI pes5 servers.

2009 September (29th of September) – GoalServer5 is ready for public, and allows to play pes5 online either through goalservers own server, or by creating a custom server with the help of Hamachi network and GS5 hosting ability.

2010 April (7th April)TurkMania/reddwarf finish work on WE9LE version of GoalServer, making WE9LE for the first time in its history, able to be played online outside of Korea!!!

http://www.evo-web.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=53880

http://www.evo-league.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4710

2010 June – humble author of this thread, upon finding out that we9le is finaly able to be played online thanks to GoalServer team, and because goalserver site is no longer operating, has an idea for an international group to preserve we9le legacy that will gather, 5 years after it’s premiere, English speaking we9le gamers who still play this game, and would like to play it online using GoalServer and Hamachi; The goal – get 10 people :P

First message?

Anybody who would like to play some games online go to the Hamachi and sent me a message through chat:

networkName: LukaWE9LE
pass: Inter

My nick is Luk

;)

2010/2011 – legendary team juce(creator of kitserver) and reddwarf make their own separate fiveserver application, which improves on GoalServer ability. The biggest difference is no need for Hamachi middleware anymore! That translates into the abbility to just running the game, going to Network mode, and connecting to the server automaticaly.

2010 JulyPES5-club team releases their great PES5-Club Online Patch v0.0 for WE9LE that also (aside rosters/stats/kitserver graphics) has the abbility to be played online using their own FiveServer

http://pes5-club.pesgame.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5

2011 January (13th January 0:11 am :P ) – due to Hamachi groups limitation (limit of 16 people per group) humble author of this thread creates the facebook page and moves the Hamachi group over there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146803765372899/

logobl.png

2011 March – Official name of the group is being created – we’re now called WEplayWE

2011 April (28th April) – due to oversize of facebook group, Prz3m3k, the first HeadAdmin creates a weplaywe.pl forum.

In this place, because I think it's appropriate, I want to thank, thank, thank both juce and reddwarf for their availability and help at that time, with my/our problems with setting online hosting services, with both GoalServer(first) and FiveServer(later). Thanks guys, you rock.

Now some people from what I saw on the web for couple of years, were speaking of "polish group WEplayWE", due to the domain being registered in poland (.PL). That is incorect. This is an international forum (which really was moved from facebook international page), and it's main language is english. The reason the domain has ".PL" at the end, is because the initiative came from Prz3m3k (a Pole), and myself when we moved the facebook group to the external forum. So that's the only reason. We could easily made the domain called weplaywe.com, but we wanted to leave a little bit of polish background there (don't call us vain please ;) ), because we knew the site will be all in english and international, to begin with.

2011 September (6th September)reddwarf releases a great camera zoom tool for we9le on weplaywe website:

http://weplaywe.pl/viewtopic.php?t=212

title2f.png

2012 NovemberViktoristus, the HeadChief of WEplayWE Patching team, releases with the help of couple other people(including geezer), his first WEplayWE patch for the 2012-13 season based on Football Manager stats using his unique xml converter:

http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showthread.php?t=69762

2013 August – WEplayWE Server is moved to the machine of angelzbl0od, the new and second HeadAdmin, who will be hosting the server (and also his WEplayWE FTP) from now on.

2013 October - Still up and kicking ;)

menu7.png

That’s pretty much it :), but who knows what new stories tomorrow will come for we9le franchise ;) No matter the size of active users in our group, the site will stay as long as we’re around. Just like Brock once said:

[Sat 15:53] angelzbl0od: site is back up now and not going anywhere

:COOL:

I’d like to again thank from this place everybody who put even the smallest contribution to we9le franchinse since the release of this game back in 2006, and also to people who financed the domain cost and thanks to whom the site is still present after 2 years since it’s creation (Hektor, Brock, renato1976 and bugger93 who paid domain cost for the whole 2013/2014 year). People like that just prove, that this game did not achieve it’s legendary status without a reason, and I cannot be proud enough for that.

Big thanks to we9le patch creators. Kristian826, Viktoristus, the russian scene for creating their pes5-club patch, and couple others who also did their part. Ofcourse we can’t forget the person who released first patch that translated the korean text and who educated the english speaking gamers about this fantastic hidden gem - Energia, and also lyjsym's K-Patch, upon which all we9le patches base, and which was the patch we9le gamers used for many, many years after we9le' release.

Lastly, we must always remember about the legendary trio:

TurkMania - A person who never gave up on the idea of playing we9le online, and who achieved it(along with reddwarf) when they released their GoalServer hosting application back in 2010

juce - contribution through his kitserver (quickly adapted his kitserver to the Korean edition revised and corrected of PES5/WE9), that helped the moding of we9le possible, and also the co-creator of FiveServer, the currently used WE9LE hosting online server at WEplayWE.pl

reddwarf - co-creator of both GoalServer and FiveServer, without which the we9le would be long dead (no, it isn't dead ;) )

cheers
Luk

(1) http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Evolution_Soccer_(serie)
(2) http://www.play-asia.com/winning-eleven-9-paOS-13-49-en-70-3dqe.html
(3) http://www.play-asia.com/winning-eleven-9-liveware-evolution-paOS-13-49-en-70-19lu.html
(4) http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/world-soccer-winning-eleven-9/release-info
(5) http://www.play-asia.com/j-league-winning-eleven-9-asia-championship-paOS-13-49-en-70-yuy.html
(6) http://www.play-asia.com/k-league-winning-eleven-9-asia-championship-paOS-13-49-en-70-13qp.html
(7) http://www.play-asia.com/winning-eleven-9-paOS-13-49-en-70-156a.html

Last edited:
Nice writeup. A lot of info I never knew about, especially being mainly a WE9I player through the years.

I remember getting 'the next game' back then when it came out(PES6) and it seemed really cool at first, the short passing seemed a little tighter, I liked that you could hold R2 and slow dribble (as opposed to having to let go of the analog in PES 5/WE9...which is dumb)

But the more & more I played (vs humans) it started to dawn on me that all the improvements were on the offensive side of the ball. It now became commonplace to see average players dribbling in between 3 & 4 defenders. What happened to the tackling ? Elite defenders were made to look like stooges now. (oh the pain of watching those replays:CONF:) Also, there was no fouls being called anymore
M5o9pSe.gif
You couldn't even take a tactical foul to 'slow things down' if you needed to. Holding square to call over a teammate wasn't nearly as effective. In We9 it made ppl pass the ball, now it became more of a dribbling game.

All these things suddenly turned the game into this end to end spectacle, with opportunities coming fast and furious and tons of space/time on the ball in the midfield. Did they do something to the spacing of the pitch itself ? It was so much easier to keep possession and just knock the ball around to teammates now. 20/25 min games went from being realistic in terms of chances/goals, into games being 3-4 with 20+ shots for each team. WE10 was even worse in this regard, from what I remember and that pretty much showed the direction Konami chose to pursue.

I tried last years game a little and saw defenders stand and watch thru balls go RIGHT PAST their feet, on MANY occasions. They literally just stood there and watched, it was actually laughable it was so bad. The back line/DMF used to eat up those thru/loose balls for breakfast in WE9. Tried the demo for PES14 and it felt very sluggish (players seemed to take forever to turn, shoot, ect...) with delayed player switching and just not a very smooth and responsive experience overall.

Luk, since you said PES6 was the first in the series to really focus on the online aspect, maybe they tailored the game more for that and 10 min matches as they wouldn't want everybody playing a bunch of 0-0 games with not many chances in them. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Thanks Adam for sharing.

In We9 it made ppl pass the ball, now it became more of a dribbling game.
That's exactly how I remember things in 2006/2007. I was at the polish country level championship in pes6, and the guy that won the whole thing was playing with Brasil, constantly just turning and twisting (with Ronaldinho) until your eyes started to bleed, and he could easily score.

Really it was just ridiculous to see, how the game of football can be abused.

20/25 min games went from being realistic in terms of chances/goals, into games being 3-4 with 20+ shots for each team.
Exactly.

To be honest I think that's a cop out. There is a common misconception, that the easier the football game is on the offensive, the more fun you'll gonna have playing it, with all the dribbles, scoring spectacular goals every other goal and so on. But isn't that ironic? I mean, we are all fans of the game, you can have 0-0 scores quite often, or just 1-2 goals a game, and that doesn't stop people from thinking this is the greatest sport on the planet. Football did not become famous because of 100 goals you score during the match (like basketball), but for this constant tension for 90 minutes, and the fact one single goal in the game can turn the match completely around.

Once you divorce the football game from that (pes6, and some of the next-gen pes games) you are basicaly robbing this whole magical concept of this sport. The concept, that you don't get 20 chances to score in a few minutes, but that you get only a few of those if you play against a decent opposition, and once you get that, the thrill of scoring get so much more rewarding. That's exactly how Konami approached things in PES5, and even more so in WE9LE.

Tried the demo for PES14 and it felt very sluggish (players seemed to take forever to turn, shoot, ect...) with delayed player switching and just not a very smooth and responsive experience overall.
That's the first thing I noticed, right after just a few minutes. Absolutely horrible.

Luk, since you said PES6 was the first in the series to really focus on the online aspect, maybe they tailored the game more for that and 10 min matches as they wouldn't want everybody playing a bunch of 0-0 games with not many chances in them. Just a thought.
Yeah, I think you might be on the right track, but again, to mirror what I said above, I think it is grave misconception, that the easier it is to score, the funnier the game is. I think that it's quite opposite. We all are fans of the football after all, that we see on the TV, not that we see in PES6. So imo the more realistic the game, the more fun people will gonna have with it.

With WE9LE you get exactly that, and many people said in the past, that they didn't have as much fun scoring in we9le as in any other football game, exactly because of this closeness to realistic way of how you score goals (and how much you have to work to score them).

I think it is grave misconception, that the easier it is to score, the funnier the game is. I think that it's quite opposite. We all are fans of the football after all, that we see on the TV, not that we see in PES6. So imo the more realistic the game, the more fun people will gonna have with it.
I know that. And you know that. And alot of the hardcore football fans now that. But Konami (and pretty much all these AAA publishers/games with the ridiculously over inflated budgets and focus on graphics/cinematics over gameplay/content) has to market the game to a much wider audience to make money. ESPECIALLY with the direction the industry has taken in the last 10 years. Style over substance

Last edited:
I was so happy when I discovered this fantastic game... Thank's for your post...

The most realistic game released in PES history - WE9LE
Legacy and it’s history

2006 May – 2 months after the korean premiere, the word about WE9LE gets out to english speaking gamers with Energia posting about we9le on soccergaming.com:

http://www.soccergaming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131912

Initaly the game was only possible to be played in Korea, as the K-Patch was not done yet at this point. So people had to „Guess” where is what on the screens, based on their pes5/we9 memory.

2006 May (end of may) – lyjsym, a known patcher at that time, converts his xbox k-patch for we9 to we9le, which finaly replaced the korean text in the game to English one:

Only a correction, the first English patch was mine ;) : http://www.soccergaming.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2052082&postcount=12

Last edited:
A lot of history here, with juce and Energia posting. Great, great to see you guys here in this thread. Seems, very appropriate, and only can make us all proud.

I know that. And you know that. And alot of the hardcore football fans now that. But Konami (and pretty much all these AAA publishers/games with the ridiculously over inflated budgets and focus on graphics/cinematics over gameplay/content) has to market the game to a much wider audience to make money. ESPECIALLY with the direction the industry has taken in the last 10 years. Style over substance
Like a dagger to a heart ;)

Luk,
Nicely done, mate. Enjoyed reading your post.
No no juce. It is you, who did amazingly, over the years supporting the pes scene. I can't thank you enough mate, with all the tools, and the help you gave me with our problems with the FiveServer. Can't thank enough ;)

I was so happy when I discovered this fantastic game... Thank's for your post...
And we were so happy when we discovered YOUT thread ;)

Thank YOU Energia.

Awsome! Thanks a lot. Didn't know that. If you remember something else, or want to correct me, please don't hesitate.

cheers
Luk

Last edited:
A lot of history here, with juce and Energia posting. Great, great to see you guys here in this thread. Seems, very appropriate, and only can make us all proud.

Awsome! Thanks a lot. Didn't know that. If you remember something else, or want to correct me, please don't hesitate.

cheers
Luk

I still remember as soon as I discovered the game, the first thing I was worried about, it was to break boxes to juce (in PM) by sending him the exe of the game so that he could make the appropriate kitserver ...

the English translation and the kitserver were the two things necessary in order to quickly spread worldwide dissemination and appreciation of the game...

So I/We have to thank Juce for his immense and fast availability to adapt its kitserver to the Korean edition revised and corrected of PES5/WE9

Thank's juce

Last edited:
Great game for sure. Still playing and enjoying it. I know I'm dreaming but I wish juce would update the kitserver 5 to make it compatible with Windows 7 and Windows 8 so that we wouldn't get the "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime library" error when exiting the game.

Edit: Great write Luk. Enjoyed reading it.

hm, sounds to me that you need to upgrade this microsoft thing
and run all .exes in konami folder as admin

there shouldn't be any errors

Really? But we have a whole thread full of people having the same problem on weplaywe website. Besides, I am running them as admin.

Confused.

Edit: without any kitserver attached there is no error. I get an error message if I attach it. Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library error.

Great game for sure. Still playing and enjoying it. I know I'm dreaming but I wish juce would update the kitserver 5 to make it compatible with Windows 7 and Windows 8 so that we wouldn't get the "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime library" error when exiting the game.

Edit: Great write Luk. Enjoyed reading it.

I'm running Windows 7 without problems
just use this kitserver http://www.mediafire.com/download/xkjmql8f8j3cx57/kitserver-540.zip
it's from kristian826's thread "PES 5/ WE9LE - Exogenesis patch"

Last edited:
Didn´t feel the need to post this is such an old game, but damn, this game is still awesome!!!

I´m getting more and more frustrated with PES 2014. Has great stuff but the way things start to flow after some time is just too much to keep playing. I´m actually sad about it, its just disapointing.
Anyway, installed WE9LE again on my laptop and F@#K!!! What the hell is this?! How come Konami made the perfect game years ago, and in 2013 can´t do something great? I mean, the size of the pitch, the pace, the ball physics, the GK´s, the AI wich is obviously the best there ever was. The referees, oh my GOD, so balanced! Everything runs great and looks realistic! Even with outdated graphics and animations (somehow I can´t put the game in my screens native resolution) it feels just amazing. Every chance I get is pulling me out of my chair! Possession rates are just extremely realistic... What else can I say? I just wished they could go back and launch a WE9 2014 edition, with all normal features but same gameplay. It´s quite stupid actually, being in love with a game realesed years ago, from the same company that can´t make thing right nowadays...

[...]
So I/We have to thank Juce for his immense and fast availability to adapt its kitserver to the Korean edition revised and corrected of PES5/WE9

Thank's juce
:WORSHIP:

Anyway, installed WE9LE again on my laptop and F@#K!!!
Yup. That's pretty much my reaction every time I sit to the game after some long period of not gaming ;), and ESPECIALY, and sadly, every time I go back to it after testing the newest pes (pes2012, pes2013 and so on).

It's not the same when I first ran WE9LE and my jaw dropped to the floor, but still I'm amazed every time I play the game, and think to myself "We have 2000 whatever, and still this game cannot be touched".

What else can I say? I just wished they could go back and launch a WE9 2014 edition, with all normal features but same gameplay. It´s quite stupid actually, being in love with a game realesed years ago, from the same company that can´t make thing right nowadays...
Very true. But truth to be told, and the same thing I told many of my friends, the key to briliance of this game is perfect ballance, between offense and deffense. Deffense in the real world is easier, than offense, and it's perfectly embraced in WE9LE as well as how much one has advantage over the other. You go too much on one side, too much on the other, and you will make game that is out of ballance.

And if that was so easy, KONAMI (or EA) would do it every year, but still after so many years, WE9LE is still the king in this aspect, and you can instantly feel it the minute you start playing.

The reason KONAMI couldn't replicate WE9LE as of yet with next gen pes is not because they don't know how, but (most probably) it's just too damn hard to do. They did it with WE9LE, maybe we'll live to the day they will do it again (hopefully even better, in other aspects).

Last edited:
Here is my little hands-on on this monster of a game, I will only compare it to PES6 because the new PES is not worthy to be mentioned:

The first thing one will notice is the slower pace of the game, especially player movement, game itself runs better here as well, no weird speed-up moments, but that's a technical thing.
The second point that directly comes to mind is the ball physics, on low passes the ball is a bit jumpy, unlike those weird PES6 passes that just seem to be dragged completely flat above the pitch.
The passing is more free, feels a bit like one pass bar on the newer titles, the short pass is quite context sensitive, sometimes it's played more to the free space instead directly to the player which is really nice, in general passing is harder I think.

And sometimes on direction changes you directly see and feel the weight and inertia of the player, nice little "flow breakers" that add variety to the game, same as the sidesteps which i didn't liked when PES5 came out.
Tactic options are more too compared to PES6, won't go into detail here.

All in all I can say its a joy to play, and I haven't really fully explored the game yet, need to forget old bad habits first from the newer games ;), then adapt to the game and then play with tactics and so on, rly nice and hassle free gameplay, glad I tried it out.

*I don't like that sliding turn on players, doesn't look realistic at alll
*While passing sometimes feels like ball being hit with a pool stick;
*through ball goes way too strong, can't put through ball diagonaly on upcoming player from behind.
* R2 shooting lacks variety.

These things put this game slightly below Pes 6 for me. Other than that, its briliant football game.

*through ball goes way too strong, can't put through ball diagonaly on upcoming player from behind.

Noticed that yes, that's one point why I wrote passing is harder, what you can do is to play such passes with normal pass, as I wrote normal pass is more free and context sensitive and can be applied to several situations.

What I miss is the ability to make manual passes with the same controls as those for player movement, like it is done in the newer titles. Controlling it with right analog stick is really a PITA.

Maybe some hack by a tool similar to x360ce could achieve that (mapping right analog to left analog)?

Not that bad actually to have it independent from the player movement I think, at least in some situations, need to try that more, so far I spend more time in tactics menu than playing the game. :)

With my configuration here its executed like this: RS + L2, so no need to push down R3 which is annoying as f#ck. ;)

Last edited:
All in all I can say its a joy to play, and I haven't really fully explored the game yet, need to forget old bad habits first from the newer games ;), then adapt to the game and then play with tactics and so on, rly nice and hassle free gameplay, glad I tried it out.
Thanks for sharing ImpossibleYesbutitsTrue. I'm glad you found out that I wasn't lying ;)

Okay i have installed the game + WEplayWe patch 2012/13. But i have a problem: The AI on 5 oder 6 stars is no challenge at all, at least in the offense, they are not able to create chances, all they do is pass around a bit and nearly every pass to the front players is a high risk pass which i often can intercept.
Am i doing something wrong ?

- Try to play as a bit weaker teams.

- Also try League mode - it's more difficult to stay consistent there than just playing Exhibition.

- Wait for the 2013/2014 patch, which is coming soon. Hopefully it will be more of a challenge to play for you (as I have a similar problem, so I've been trying to make it harder for myself).

Last edited:
Okay i have installed the game + WEplayWe patch 2012/13. But i have a problem: The AI on 5 oder 6 stars is no challenge at all, at least in the offense, they are not able to create chances, all they do is pass around a bit and nearly every pass to the front players is a high risk pass which i often can intercept.
Am i doing something wrong ?

Yeah, the AI is very easy to read on nearly all last-gen games. Online is where it's at.

Back
Top Bottom