FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

I'm finding the FIFA 20 Legacy version on Switch to be a more enjoyable game than the regular version. It doesn't even look that bad. It's funny, a lot of the reviews claim that since it's not on the Frostbite Engine, it's inherently inferior. I think it's the opposite. The fact that it's on the Ignite Engine makes it more enjoyable from a "pick up and play" standpoint. Dribbling feels much, much better (since it's obviously very similar to older, Ignite based FIFA games) as does manual passing. Hell, I even scored some headers for once. The animation transitions aren't as herky-jerky as something like FIFA 16, although some of that still remains.

Side note, I had no idea the NHL series was still using Ignite (so did NBA LIVE 19, apparently). FIFA and Madden are "blessed" with Frostbite.

Last edited:
I'm finding the FIFA 20 Legacy version on Switch to be a more enjoyable game than the regular version. It doesn't even look that bad. It's funny, a lot of the reviews claim that since it's not on the Frostbite Engine, it's inherently inferior. I think it's the opposite. The fact that it's on the Ignite Engine makes it more enjoyable from a "pick up and play" standpoint. Dribbling feels much, much better (since it's obviously very similar to older, Ignite based FIFA games) as does manual passing. Hell, I even scored some headers for once. The animation transitions aren't as herky-jerky as something like FIFA 16, although some of that still remains.

Side note, I had no idea the NHL series was still using Ignite (so did NBA LIVE 19, apparently). FIFA and Madden are "blessed" with Frostbite.
Do you have sometimes, a strange screen snap, like instant eyes blinking, when CPU scores, right before the ball passes the goal line?

I have the game on Switch since last Xmas. I like it as a portable/dock hybrid game, but i feel it did not get the polishing needed from EA or Nintendo. (note: my switch is the 2019 "imporved" version). I don't know, i have a feeling that EA produced it a little bit rashed for Switch.

Also read somewhere when i was making research to buy it or 2019, that EA did this (2020) as a chore, they did not want to continue producing FIFA on Switch on 2020.

PS: In EA's defense, NBA 2k20 looks also not so well optimised and polished for Switch. I mean both sports games i have, look superior than a mobile sports game, but inferior to the XBOX/PS4 equivalents. I am talking about performance and detail quality issues, not gameplay.

Do you have sometimes, a strange screen snap, like instant eyes blinking, when CPU scores, right before the ball passes the goal line?

Yes, it's incredibly jarring. FIFA on Switch is an afterthought as far as EA are concerned. They don't add new features or anything, they're essentially the equivalent of say, PES 2014 on the PS2. Update some kits and maybe a few faces and that's about it. All things considered, it's not bad!

Yes, it's incredibly jarring. FIFA on Switch is an afterthought as far as EA are concerned. They don't add new features or anything, they're essentially the equivalent of say, PES 2014 on the PS2. Update some kits and maybe a few faces and that's about it. All things considered, it's not bad!
Yes, to be honest i like the gameplay, given the Switch gaming profile.

Also except for the lame detailing in graphics and the performance issues i much like this Legacy implementation as it is a little bit "mix and match" like in 2014ps2 you said. I.E. i like it has the Romanian League IIRC, but not the Libertadores that came with Datapack in PS4.

Additionally i like in the Carrier Mode, where i am in my second season with Fortuna Sittard, the "mix and match" on mechanisms, we have the negotiation system of 2017, which i found more user friendly than the cutscenes, the menus of 2020, the drills of 2017, some functions of post-2018.

That's what i like in those so called Legacy Editions, they do not have the pressure of the modern-competitive versions, so they can recycle good feats from older versions! :)

Had 7 pens last season,scored on three!
Had 3 so far this season,all three by different takers,they all shot top corners,good penalties,goalies saved them all.
Kinda overpowered imo,you rarely or never see goalies chancing on throwing themselves high at pk's

I'm glad you brought this up as art direction in football games isn't something that's discussed or appreciated for what it is as much as it's just ridiculed every year for "looking the same as last years game."

However while i haven't played FIFA 20 on the switch, I Totally understand your sentiment as FIFA 16 which is the last mianstream ignite game still looks fantastic in my opinion. It's easy to forget that this is a PS4 game. The detail around the stadium, Supporters and pitch and animation on the touchlines and police still impress me easily as well as the games atmosphere. I recently played FIFA 20 and that was the first FIFA i've played since 18 & while it still looks really good, It's clear EA started to veer down a stylised/cartoony path and i feel the colour pallettes are contestable.

One thing that has gotten better in frostbite is some of the player & face/hair models. Some of them on FIFA 16/Ignite are still holdovers from FIFA 10 and it looks pretty disgusting to be fair.

I hope 21 plays like 20. 20 has flaws no doubt about it the headers are worthless the teammate contain has been nerfed to death, however the sum is greater than the parts
and with Matt’s sliders this game springs to life. I was never a fan of sliders to lazy tbf. I will take the time to invest in sliders going forward. With the OS sliders I have seen some goals that just are not possible on default settings. I Have a hundred games under my belt and that one more game itch is there after every game still. Just has that it factor.

Not a lot of long rangers however the CPU doesn’t score them much either lot of scuffed shots on both sides.

Games is far from perfect but my 0-0 against Chelsea make sense the way Liverpool press makes sense. The way Man C play me off the park with triangles all day makes sense. Athletico scoring in the first 5 minutes then sitting back and whooping my tail for the next 80 some odd minutes makes sense.

For all the FIFA I play never knew going from 8 to 10 minutes would have that “overall” feeling of matches I see on t.v.

Always was a semi shoot semi pass guy with these sliders though, like Matt says things are just more enhanced.

My Pierre Aubameyang channeling his inner Bergkamp.

20 is the new 16

Last edited:
After going off Fifa 20 for a while and avoiding 21, I tried Klebstars sliders.

Theyve reinvented the game for me, especially on world class.

I'm a big fan of OS sliders but on 20 specifically (they're brilliant on fifa 16) they made the game feels overly constrained and contained. It felt the AI always.played in front of my defence and that I always played in front of the AI defence. Consequently, it felt like the game took place inside an invisible square inside the pitch, not helped by the overly zoomed in broadcast cam on ps4.

These new sliders have opened the game out much more, giving it more of the feel of fifa 16 using OS sliders.

Ball physics much better on ground passes too. Feel softer on contact, bobble less.
I do recommend. I've bumped cpu pass speed from 13 to 31 however as it was too easy to cut out their passes.

I can actually get near the cpu and make tackles on world class now, rather than just chasing the ball from player to player. Consequently way more turnovers, fouls etc. Even that ridiculous super fast AI freekick from the wings that goes straight out of play has slowed down...

And the middle of the pitch is fabulously compressed but in a way that you can pick your way through it.

Also my own teams movement is so much better, I can create such great flowing, exciting football similar to on fifa 16 and it feels like that invisible box has gone. I break through the CPU lines and the CPU breaks through mine.
This is such a breakthrough for me, I can see myself playing this till pes 22 (I live in a world where that will be the second coming (of pes, not christ. That would be a comparative let down)).

https://forums.operationsports.com/...70-krebstars-fifa-20-world-class-sliders.html

Trying also to make it work someway. Returned to zero point, World Class, semiassisted shoot/pass, all sliders to default except for powergauge, NORMAL gamespeed, 6minutes half.

For some reason , i am abviously playing this very wrong, in contrast to FIFA 19 where i can do much better. Here i feel also this invisible inside square, that i cannot defend or attack. I can't even pass up to past the midfield udefended!!!
If anyone has any suggestions, or can mention, or give advice to a noob like me, what are my obvious mistakes, he is welcome.
I post a video with my settings and a game of mine.
I play as OLDHAM. Help a noob, to play this game!!! :) :D I know i am terrible. ;)

FUN FACT: While i was recording this game, i won two fouls from CPU, when usually, or better, always, i never gain any fouls by the CPU! :)

Last edited:
Trying also to make it work someway. Returned to zero point, World Class, semiassisted shoot/pass, all sliders to default except for powergauge, NORMAL gamespeed, 6minutes half.

For some reason , i am abviously playing this very wrong, in contrast to FIFA 19 where i can do much better. Here i feel also this invisible inside square, that i cannot defend or attack. I can't even pass up to past the midfield udefended!!!
If anyone has any suggestions, or can mention, or give advice to a noob like me, what are my obvious mistakes, he is welcome.
I post a video with my settings and a game of mine.
I play as OLDHAM. Help a noob, to play this game!!! :) :D I know i am terrible. ;)

FUN FACT: While i was recording this game, i won two fouls from CPU, when usually, or better, always, i never gain any fouls by the CPU! :)

I went from a November patch to the final patch, as I avoided updating for a long time.
What was immediately obvious is that world class felt strangled. Also the game felt less free, the ball physics heavier but less varied.
I remember EA did this with fifa 18 aswell.
It's a very konami way of updating a game...make it tighter, improve teammate AI but also make it less free. It's as if their game engines can either have cohesion and unity or freedom, but not at the same time.
I think that's where the invisible prison around the game comes from.

Try these klebstar sliders and see how they work for you. Id be interested to hear your experience.

As I'm mentioned earlier, I think 13 is too low for cpu pass power. I'm closer to 30.

Interestingly, when I played last night, I gave 4 free kicks away around edge of my box. I'm so unused to getting near the AI on world class that I was out of practise making tackles...

I went from a November patch to the final patch, as I avoided updating for a long time.
What was immediately obvious is that world class felt strangled. Also the game felt less free, the ball physics heavier but less varied.
I remember EA did this with fifa 18 aswell.
It's a very konami way of updating a game...make it tighter, improve teammate AI but also make it less free. It's as if their game engines can either have cohesion and unity or freedom, but not at the same time.
I think that's where the invisible prison around the game comes from.

Try these klebstar sliders and see how they work for you. Id be interested to hear your experience.

As I'm mentioned earlier, I think 13 is too low for cpu pass power. I'm closer to 30.

Interestingly, when I played last night, I gave 4 free kicks away around edge of my box. I'm so unused to getting near the AI on world class that I was out of practise making tackles...
I will give'em a try. I can't understand, how i can be viable in FIFA19 PS4, in FIFA20 (Legacy Edition though) Switch Version and in this version on PS4 , i feel so much out of control.

What makes me want to tame this game is, that even in Normal Game Speed i feel that i can play it, it seems to have an OK-ish tempo for my taste, regarding FIFA standards that even slow speed can be too fast usually.

I will give'em a try. I can't understand, how i can be viable in FIFA19 PS4, in FIFA20 (Legacy Edition though) Switch Version and in this version on PS4 , i feel so much out of control.

What makes me want to tame this game is, that even in Normal Game Speed i feel that i can play it, it seems to have an OK-ish tempo for my taste, regarding FIFA standards that even slow speed can be too fast usually.

I think there are a few reason for feeling out of control:

This fifa can feel quite clunky with fewer movement points on the players than say fifa 16 or maybe even 19.
At the same time, the players slide a lot.
Put these too together and theres a lack of fine movement control.
To.make matters worse, EA do have inertia built in, but the players slide so much that you can end up taking huge slidey turning circles with and without the ball.

And finally the ball is bobbly. It never really 'sits' properly on the ground, or at your feet. You can never quite kill it.
And theres a feeling of players being in perpetual motion.

Put all this together and you never quite feel in control or that what you're doing is precise.
This is a failure of fifa for many years really.
I think a lot of people prefer pes because it feels precise, where fifa feels woolly and wobbly. Problem is, pes gets there by being basic and on rails...

Since lately I've been mostly a footy globetrotter, jumping from a title to another, I've tried to give a chance to 20, mostly in the memory of a very entertaining climb from League 2 I saw last year from a youtuber I follow.

Started a career with Krebstar's sliders, which indeed feel less rigid than OS ones (thanks Fshas) with Macclesfield Town, 2nd League team of course.

But.. man, I don't know if it's worth it. The team building thing is fun and, even if confusingly, enough things happens out of the field.. but as for the game itself, there are many problems sliders can't solve. I like enough the general flow of things but when I get near of the box it feels.. robotic. Maybe it's the neutered crosses/headers, or the fact defenders seems to react in a bit of a "plastic" way to dribblings and shots.

And.. the bullshit, which is probably the main reason I quit rage my last match lol. Was winning 1-0, they draw me after injury time in the first half, and then beat me with this "penalty":

But other similar things happened in the first games. And, apart of that, the game is just genuinely hard.. I'm playing WC, to think many people find this game easy at Legendary or Ultmate makes my head explode :LOL: . Will probably try a bit more when I'm of the mood.

Since lately I've been mostly a footy globetrotter, jumping from a title to another, I've tried to give a chance to 20, mostly in the memory of a very entertaining climb from League 2 I saw last year from a youtuber I follow.

Started a career with Krebstar's sliders, which indeed feel less rigid than OS ones (thanks Fshas) with Macclesfield Town, 2nd League team of course.

But.. man, I don't know if it's worth it. The team building thing is fun and, even if confusingly, enough things happens out of the field.. but as for the game itself, there are many problems sliders can't solve. I like enough the general flow of things but when I get near of the box it feels.. robotic. Maybe it's the neutered crosses/headers, or the fact defenders seems to react in a bit of a "plastic" way to dribblings and shots.

And.. the bullshit, which is probably the main reason I quit rage my last match lol. Was winning 1-0, they draw me after injury time in the first half, and then beat me with this "penalty":

But other similar things happened in the first games. And, apart of that, the game is just genuinely hard.. I'm playing WC, to think many people find this game easy at Legendary or Ultmate makes my head explode :LOL: . Will probably try a bit more when I'm of the mood.

I do have this feeling of robotic near final third too. Espcially going from 16 to 20 where in 16 so much random stuff happens when you're tracking.
In fifa 20, it feels like everything has been limited in some way. The pointlessness of crossing probably plays a part.

I'm loving fifa 20 up to the edge of the box where it does feel lacking in variety. In shot variety too now, with the patches.

As great as 16 is, it feels so twitchy and weedy after 20.

I do have this feeling of robotic near final third too. Espcially going from 16 to 20 where in 16 so much random stuff happens when you're tracking.
In fifa 20, it feels like everything has been limited in some way. The pointlessness of crossing probably plays a part.

I'm loving fifa 20 up to the edge of the box where it does feel lacking in variety. In shot variety too now, with the patches.

As great as 16 is, it feels so twitchy and weedy after 20.

Yeah, we agree about that indeed. 20 does have very good vibes in the midfield and than kinda lose them in the box.
Personally I've never suffered 16 "twitchiness" but I guess it's up to personal tastes. I still think it's by far the better game compared with 18 onwards (and just the better overall, but I liked a lot 17 as well, the gap would be shorter imo).

20 is fresh and does have some good things tho, it's probably the one I'm more willing to try out and experiment with amongst the 18-19-20 "trilogy". Shame for the headers thing tho, just having that alone would make a world of difference.

Yeah, we agree about that indeed. 20 does have very good vibes in the midfield and than kinda lose them in the box.
Personally I've never suffered 16 "twitchiness" but I guess it's up to personal tastes. I still think it's by far the better game compared with 18 onwards (and just the better overall, but I liked a lot 17 as well, the gap would be shorter imo).

20 is fresh and does have some good things tho, it's probably the one I'm more willing to try out and experiment with amongst the 18-19-20 "trilogy". Shame for the headers thing tho, just having that alone would make a world of difference.

Agreed.

Here's an idea. I went to normal speed with klebstar sliders. On broadcast cam.
A little too fast in some moments but overall perfectly fine.

And the game is so much.more thrilling and exciting and responsive. Short passes have more zip.
May go back to slow but really liking it.
Its giving that pes 5 type emotional kick..

I've also noticed that using possession as tactic creates more attacking variety going into the box.

Playing as Lyon vs Monaco. Wow. What a game. Aouar and Depay created so many different routes into the box.
Depay attacks from out left like Henry, driving into the box Aouar is so good to control in tight spaces and feeding passes..

Yeah, possession tactic helps.

Also with Ajax, who play basically at walking pace but great routes into box with them, also using possession tactic, rather than balanced.

This is my biggest concern too. Everybody is showing videos in highest difficulty, exploiting the 1vs1 feature, walking down all the field unpressured.

What does 1vs1 do to me until now, is breaking my defence line, by engaging the active player to the ball and disengaging the inactive player.

Basically every defending act, is my cursor player being active, my second cursor player being semi-brainless and the rest two or 3 defenders are still standing like mannequins! :) They don't even try to possession themselfs better, in case they would work like an obstacle for the ball, or like a tree at least! :D

Last edited:
It's funny, a lot of the reviews claim that since it's not on the Frostbite Engine, it's inherently inferior.
Ignite > Frostbite (at least for me).

Out of curiosity, who is it? I know QuelTaleAle usually does a career with Morecambe and I can't recall many others honestly... If it's him, I also find him definitely entertaining (I've been following his F1 2020 series lately).

Been off football games for a few months,only return the other day.
Tried Pes 21,but that game got old real fast,also had a game on FIFA 16 (console) but really not my taste anymore.
Think this game (of modern ones) sits best with me.
It's the 1v1 defending being what it is,but apart from that,I'm liking it.
Discovered that I have 4 season played,which is a long time for me on modern games (not counting FIFA 17/18 and Pes 17)
Hope I can enjoy this for a few seasons more.

Back
Top Bottom