FAO: Electric car owners/drivers

Placebo

Ԁlɐɔǝqo
3 May 2003
Orrefors, Sweden.
Sheffield Wednesday
So, never thought I'd be starting a car thread but at the ripe age of 47 I decided to learn to drive and after 4 lessons (last two of which were in an electric (well Toyota Corolla Hybrid 1.8 in electric mode)), we'll definitely be getting an electric car when I pass my test (hopefully), curious what electric cars people have or have tried etc. etc.?

Definitely won't be getting a new one unless we find a good lease option as part of the wanting to learn to drive is so we can move to a more rural house so need to save the pennies for that :)

There is the break and the electric...

:LMAO:
Sorry for ot.

So, never thought I'd be starting a car thread but at the ripe age of 47 I decided to learn to drive and after 4 lessons (last two of which were in an electric (well Toyota Corolla Hybrid 1.8 in electric mode)), we'll definitely be getting an electric car when I pass my test (hopefully), curious what electric cars people have or have tried etc. etc.?

Definitely won't be getting a new one unless we find a good lease option as part of the wanting to learn to drive is so we can move to a more rural house so need to save the pennies for that :)

Interesting that I should notice this thread only just now. I got my licence three years ago at the age of 32 but am doing refresher lessons as I've barely driven a mile, the first one being today!

I'm afraid I can't help, but I'm also keen to know the answer as I'm interested in an EV. I've had umpteen chances to drive one (either a Golf, Leaf, Soul or Zoe) through work but never have. Yet.

It's made all the easier in Scotland as you get loans of up to £35,000 to buy an EV, plus grants of £650 towards a chargepoint. And I have a spare parking space at my house. So once I'm better behind the wheel I'm in the market!

You should definitely give it a try, really enjoyable to drive and there's some really interesting innovations breaking through, watched some videos of the Honda E and that looks amazing:

Decent price point as well, obviously remains to be seen how their proposed price is actually reflected by car dealers though.

Another new one which also looks really nice is the Volkswagen id.3:

It's been too slow a burner but the ranges are getting longer, the prices smaller and the chargepoints more numerous. Domestic charging is still a massive stumbling block, especially in densely populated areas. But they're becoming more and more accessible. Funding was about to become available in Scotland for second hand EVs too, but that's been put on ice because of the pandemic. Shame.

My work's business is energy efficiency and sustainability, and it's a field riddled with misconceptions and misinformation. Electric vehicles suffer from it a lot, especially regarding reliability and comfort. But over half of our fleet is Kia Souls and they're incredible. Mad levels of comfort and gadgets!

Back
Top Bottom