Exeter City
Cover:
495194-f1-2018-xbox-one-front-cover.jpg

Platforms: PS4/Xbox One/PC
Release Date: 24 Aug 2018

Developer: Codemasters
Genre: Sport/Racing

Description:
F1 2018 is the official video game of the 2018 Formula One World Championship developed and published by Codemasters. The game includes all twenty-one circuits from the calendar and all twenty drivers and ten teams competing in the season.

The official videogame of the 2016 FIA Formula One World Championship will boast the most immersive career mode ever featured in the franchise when it is released this summer.

Coming out on PlayStation® 4, Xbox One and Windows PC, F1 2016 will incorporate a 10-year career mode, alongside the introduction of the iconic Safety Car and Virtual Safety Car - and a new circuit in the form of the Baku City Circuit in Azerbaijan, home of the 2016 Formula 1 Grand Prix of Europe.

Players can create an avatar within the career mode, select a number to take with them through their career, and then select which of the 11 teams - including newcomers Haas F1 Team - on the grid they will start their career with. They can then earn contracts and pick their moves between teams, or elect to stay at one in a bid to turn them into championship contenders.

"F1 2016 is a massive step forward for the franchise," said Lee Mather, pincipal games designer at Codemasters. "The new career mode sits at the heart of the game and allows gamers to create their own legend over a career that can span for up to a massive ten seasons.

"Beyond improving upon the fastest and most thrilling on-track racing experience in gaming, F1 2016 uniquely offers the drama and vehicle development that goes on behind the scenes. A rich car upgrade system is fully integrated into a new and deep practice development programme which mirrors the tests carried out by the teams in real life.

"The career mode, together with the re-introduction of the Safety Car, the first inclusion of the Virtual Safety Car and a number of other unannounced improvements means that F1 2016 will have more new features than any other year of the franchise."

Last edited by a moderator:
Information on the additional features this year:-

Career Mode:-
F1 2016’s new career mode spans 10 seasons, giving you the opportunity to create your own legend. Yes, you’ll be able to select an avatar to represent you in the game, and select an F1 driver number that you'll keep throughout your career.

You’ll also be able to choose a helmet, its colour and then select which of the real-life Formula One teams you want to join.

Each team has different goals and expectations. For example, it will be easier to exceed your team's expectations if you choose to challenge yourself by starting further down the grid.

If you perform well, you'll earn contracts and can either move from team to team, or turn your favourite team into a championship contender. You could help Red Bull win the constructor's championship!

Safety Car:-
The Safety Car and Virtual Safety Car have been added to the game, and Codemasters reckon this will improve your F1 experience.

“With the re-introduction of the Safety Car as well as the addition of the Virtual Safety Car for the very first time, we are creating the most complete F1 experience ever," said Lee Mather. "This, combined with several features that are yet to be announced, should excite fans of the game and Formula One.”

Practice and Upgrade you Car:-
It's not just about the racing. You can also upgrade your car thanks to a practice development programme which allows you to take advantage of the tests done by the teams on a grand prix weekend.

Try track acclimatisation tests, test your tyres and perfect your race strategy, and you'll gain Research and Development points, which you can use to upgrade your car.

I personally did not buy F1 2015 as the last few entries before that were pretty poor.. Really wish Codemasters would hire Geoff Crammond.

Depending on how they do the 10 year career mode this year would interest me, but that would only work if you had 10 years worth of cars and teams..
I know the game will be lazy and just contain this years cars and the drivers will move around, so there won't be a career as such - will just be the player starting a new season in a different team.

Surely career mode should give you the option to start in a lesser car like F3/carts or with the eventual goal being to get an F1 drive? It'd be like a Fifa career mode where you can only start off at a Premier league team or something, sounds boring.

Last edited:
Surely career mode should give you the option to start in a lesser car like F3/carts or with the eventual goal being to get an F1 drive? It'd be like a Fifa career mode where you can only start off at a Premier league team or something, sounds boring.
I'd love that - Project Cars's career mode starts out with having to win on glorified go-karts before any of the teams takes you seriously enough to let you drive a "proper" car. I liked that added layer of work, especially when the gameplay was entirely different.

I guess it's not really a game that's designed to be a deep experience, though (as evidenced by how bare-bones the last title was), and I don't think it ever will be.

I'd love that - Project Cars's career mode starts out with having to win on glorified go-karts before any of the teams takes you seriously enough to let you drive a "proper" car. I liked that added layer of work, especially when the gameplay was entirely different.

I guess it's not really a game that's designed to be a deep experience, though (as evidenced by how bare-bones the last title was), and I don't think it ever will be.

Although karting would be good, it is a million miles away from the reality of what would be in the game.

I would just ideally like there to be about 20 years worth of cars in the game and you could choose the starting year of your career.
Otherwise it would be incredibly boring if you play the whole 10 year career driving 2016 cars, but you just go from Manor to Mercedes in 5 seasons, then spend 5 seasons winning back to back titles.

Last edited:

The games name is the clue :P

Try track acclimatisation tests, test your tyres and perfect your race strategy, and you'll gain Research and Development points, which you can use to upgrade your car.
This sounds like what Milestone have been doing for the MotoGP series.
As interesting as it sounds, it will probably get boring pretty quickly: in MotoGP games, as far as I remember, you need to complete a lap without falling and without going off-track to unlock a "data pack" (you could unlock one of them for every session at most) so you could improve your motorbike.
I've always seen it as a way to "force" you to play every session, including free practice and warm-up, instead of only playing the qualifying session and then diving into the race.

Let's see if they come out with something more challenging (like maybe setting a time lower than X with hard tyres, or perform a N-laps run with ultra-soft tyres without wearing them off).

Also, I'd like the idea to start in a year X and then progress in time with different tracks, liveries and drivers.
As they can't predict the future, I believe we should be able to start in, say, 2009 (which as far as I remember is the first licensed F1 game by Codemasters) and progress through the seasons.
Maybe they could do it for F1 2018 though, you'd be starting in 2009 and you'd have 10 seasons ahead.

Did anyone purchase this?

Bought it last night and although the game is an improvement on previous years, the AI is a shocker.

Cars stick to the racing line without any real movement and because they are on rails they crash into you all the time and never move.

Did anyone purchase this?

Bought it last night and although the game is an improvement on previous years, the AI is a shocker.

Cars stick to the racing line without any real movement and because they are on rails they crash into you all the time and never move.
Really? That is worrying. I was about to get that game because it looked amazing on the vids I watched but this makes me thinking.

Really? That is worrying. I was about to get that game because it looked amazing on the vids I watched but this makes me thinking.

I will post a couple of videos later maybe to show what I am talking about.

It might be just because I originally started the game on Medium skill level.

But the AI so far is awful.

I will post a couple of videos later maybe to show what I am talking about.

It might be just because I originally started the game on Medium skill level.

But the AI so far is awful.
Waiting for that :)

I watched videos from this guy on Youtube
> https://www.youtube.com/user/aaravaonps3/videos

Some of those vids looked fantastic, although he is playing on a high difficulty which I'm won't be able to, I assume.

So looking forward to your vids :)

I watched the Spain GP one for about 2 mins and all the cars looked completely on rails. He was moving around, but every other car was just following the racing line.

Confirmed my worries really that the AI is very badly scripted, not seen AI this bad since Gran Turismo - really lazy programming.

The AI drivers do cause a lot of incidents with me to the point now that it's frustrating. I had to restart the Russian GP over 20 times in my career mode because I was being hit mainly within the first few corners, if not the first few laps by drivers that don't give space in certain scenarios, like I do to them.

Nevertheless, it is fun to also see them have aggressive incidents with each other. I saw Raikkonen get splattered onto the left wall by Bottas at the beginning of Sochi, and he damaged another 4 cars. Three retirements just from that incident.

It's good that the game is not massively realistic, re-balancing some predictably boring elements of real life F1. And of course, Mercedes not owning every quali session and race makes it more interesting. Every race I have is different, which is a plus. I've given myself a rule in career mode and that is to "retire, not restart", if I crash out in whatever circumstances after half of the race duration.

In an Expert AI career I'm 9 rounds in and have DNF'd on the last 3 races, in a Toro Rosso. And I lead Kvyat 25 points to 6 in the drivers title race. It was impossible for me to compete qualifying or finish more than two laps of the race at Monaco, it was seriously too fast & narrow, plus the AI were brutal.

I'm really enjoying this game. Not a race expert by any means, and i play on a pad, not a steering wheel. Currently playing on level hard, with most assist on except breaking.

For me it's a real fun game. Graphics on ps4 are very nice. Really takes time to get to know each circuits, which is of course a must if you want to have any chance of getting on the podium.

Currently doing a champion season my my dutchie Verstappen. As proxi i was utterly shit at Monaco, damn that circuit is difficult to master.

Other races are going well. It's nice to see that i have the advantage in corners and a good gearbox, but on the long straights i loose it because Mercedes has the better engine. Quite realistic.

Had some really nice races sofar, but admittedly had to use the flashback quite a few times or i would not have finished a single race.
Now in 1st position with Verstappen after 5 races. Once i get the hang of it i'll switch off some more assists. I might even try switching off auto gears but not sure if i can ever master that.
I'm already having problems replying to questions such as if i want to change my racing strategy. Each time i use the arrows to reply i slam into a wall.

I'm too old and everything is going too fast.
So, in the end i love this game. But i'm sure the real hardcore race gamers don't agree with me.

AI on Hard but going to ramp it up because I'm comfortably breaking my targets. Im automatic with TC on though as find feathering the throttle nightmare with pad.

I'm also on automatic with tc on, no brake assist and ai on hard. Winning races, getting pole on some. Monaco was an absolute nightmare, but that's due to my poor steering and breaking skills (which get better every day)

I'm curious to see how you find the next level.

I play with both depending on whether or not I can be arsed to set up the wheel.
Obviously it is better with a wheel but that is the case with all driving games.

The game is the best version of F1 for a long time and despite the very shortcomings with the AI it is enjoyable with or without a wheel.

I'm playing it with a controller. Don't have a steering wheel and not getting one. Controller works really well, but hardcore guys will def go for a wheel

Are you guys playing with a steering wheel or controller? If I get it I would play with a controller so trying to establish what the experience is like?

I play with a controller and it works really well. Lots of options including assists on/off, as well as steering linearity, saturation etc... The ability to adjust the FOV and seating position really improves the experience for me too. I think it's the best F1 game to date.

The step up to expert has made it so much better. A proper battle now.

Had a proper palm sweat of a battle with Sainz for 10th and felt like id won the race. THIS GAME!

That videos just completely proves the point of the AI and how rubbish it is.
Are there A) any official forums for the game and B) if so, are there lots of people complaining about it?

Seems like it would be a pretty sensational game if the AI didn't ignore the player.

Back
Top Bottom