EX Yu regional league (only football talk)

Ex Yu league,YES or NO?

• Total voters

nikolapfc89

P.F.C
7 December 2008
Novi Beograd
Partizan Belgrade
What do you guys think? Especially you from Balkan (Serbia,Croatia,BiH,Slovenia,Macedonia,Montenegro,even Bulgaria)?

Are you for or against this kind league? I mean,in separate terms and leagues,football is disaster.No quality matches,so boring football etc.And result is,no too many chances in Euro competitions.
So definetly,this kind of league,would bring more quality matches and tension. Like in old days.
Imagine matches: Partizan,Zvezda,Vojvodina,Dinamo,Hajduk,Rijeka,Maribor,Olimpija,Zeljo,Sarajevo,Celik,Buducnost,Sutjeska,Vardar,Rabotnicki,Borac Banja-Luka etc etc.

But main problem can be other teams (lower,like Sloboda,Spartak,Lokomotiva Zagreb,Zeta,Tetovo etc) who would have smaller matches without big teams. Like ABA (basketball adriatic league).

Please,keep just sport here,and bring some discusion about it.

Ex-Yu (+maybe Bulgaria etc),yes or no.

honestly I was thinking about this few days ago , since there will be a patch with Balkanik teams ,

I think quality will be great , and everyone gonna win from it ....

it should work like this .... 2 teams from every country so Croatia , BiH , Serbia , Slovenia , Greece , Albania , Bulgaria , Romania , Montenegro , Maqedonia , Kosovo (KF Prishtina and Treca 2 teams that were part of EX Yu league everyone know that , I dont want to talk about politic stuff so if you dont agree make your own list and everything will be okay , no need to replay to my comment)

so there would be 20 teams (I hope I havent foget any country) , and 2nd category should be same , than reginoal league as 3th category , where every country will have own leage and winner of all should play in play off so 5 teams will get promoted on 2nd category , this will be just for start , than dosnt mean to have 2 teams from every country , next season 2 teams from Albania will get relegated and maybe 2 of greece promoted , but for start everyone should have same chances .....

I think it will be great and teams will have more money , also stadums will be full again , tv rights money will improve too and at the end we will see quality football !

but when you think how situation is and how closed mind we in ballkan are I cant see this working , at last not until peace is done on whole balkan and how things are going I dont think it will be very soon !

I think it would be a good idea it would be a lot more competitive and if it was done correctly it could break the duopoly in Croatia and Serbia (Dinamo Zagreb and Hajduk, Partizan and Crvena) and even then these duopolies are turning into monopolies, which would benefit both countries in the long run. It's hard to talk about duopolies in Bosnia (because for many years it was run as two seperate leagues, and Montenegro (since it on seperated from Serbian league 5-6 years ago).

There would be a lot more international interest in this league. For a start it would be a higher standard, it would be more unpredictable (as to who wins). Also in terms of abroad, there are quite a few countries with a lot of expatriates of from all of the Balkans - countries like Germany, Australia, Canada, Holland, USA (Chicago) if you had a merged ex-Yugoslavia league it would be a lot more likely to get coverage in these countries. If you for instance show the Croatian League in Germany you have a potential audience of 225,000, but if you have the unified league (with Bosnia, Serbia, Macedonia, Montenegro) you have more like 700,000 - so from a German TV Stations point of view the merged league is more attractive to broadcast. It might mean that clubs could keep the players a bit longer and get a little stronger in European competition. The best players will probably always leave, but maybe they could go from a Balkan club direct to a great club. For instance maybe Dzecko could have played locally instead of 2 years in Czech Rep, Mandzukic could have stayed at Dinamo Zagreb an extra year, skipped Wolfsburg and gone direct to Bayern, maybe Ivanovic and Vidic could have gone direct to Chelsea and Man Utd instead of via a couple of years in Moscow, maybe Sulejmani could have played a little domestically (instead of Heereenveen), likewise Pandev could have skipped his first spell at Inter (where he was just loaned to lower league teams in Italy) and gone direct to Lazio or Napoli.

As I see it the only major downsides are possible crowd trouble (which sadly I think would be likely at first) and problems getting into European competitions. But I think there are ways around both of these issues. I would close the fixtures to away fans (from the different republics) for the first few years and then gradually re-introduce away fans for some fixtures, and then when this has been ok, re-introduce away fans for all fixtures. So using Dinamo Zagreb as an example fans in the first season can go to away games against NK Rijeka, Hajduk, Osijek etc, second season Maribor, Velez Mostar, Vadar Skopje, and if that's ok then to Partizan and Crvena Zvezda (and the same rules for Partizan fans).

The problem with European football qualification is that you could end up with a situation where only 1-2 clubs in the merged league are ever close to making CL or EL group stages. So it could be Partizan and Dinamo are the only teams to get close to the CL for decades, and others like Željezničar dont even have the chance to make Europe. It's something that could be a problem in the proposed Ukraine-Russia merged league (potentially you would only have 1-2 teams of Shakhtar, Dynamo Kiev, Zenit, Spartak, CSKA, Anji getting to the CL whereas at the moment 4 can) - the organisers of the Russian-Ukraine merger are trying to get UEFA to stagger the EL/CL qualification for 4-5 years to make this less of a problem. So for the first few seasons, the top two Ukrainian and top two Russian teams would make the CL (even if say only Russian teams finished in the top 4). I think they could do something similar for the first years of a combined ex-Yugoslavia league, and then run European qualification normally.

I think it would be a good idea it would be a lot more competitive and if it was done correctly it could break the duopoly in Croatia and Serbia (Dinamo Zagreb and Hajduk, Partizan and Crvena) and even then these duopolies are turning into monopolies, which would benefit both countries in the long run. It's hard to talk about duopolies in Bosnia (because for many years it was run as two seperate leagues, and Montenegro (since it on seperated from Serbian league 5-6 years ago).

There would be a lot more international interest in this league. For a start it would be a higher standard, it would be more unpredictable (as to who wins). Also in terms of abroad, there are quite a few countries with a lot of expatriates of from all of the Balkans - countries like Germany, Australia, Canada, Holland, USA (Chicago) if you had a merged ex-Yugoslavia league it would be a lot more likely to get coverage in these countries. If you for instance show the Croatian League in Germany you have a potential audience of 225,000, but if you have the unified league (with Bosnia, Serbia, Macedonia, Montenegro) you have more like 700,000 - so from a German TV Stations point of view the merged league is more attractive to broadcast. It might mean that clubs could keep the players a bit longer and get a little stronger in European competition. The best players will probably always leave, but maybe they could go from a Balkan club direct to a great club. For instance maybe Dzecko could have played locally instead of 2 years in Czech Rep, Mandzukic could have stayed at Dinamo Zagreb an extra year, skipped Wolfsburg and gone direct to Bayern, maybe Ivanovic and Vidic could have gone direct to Chelsea and Man Utd instead of via a couple of years in Moscow, maybe Sulejmani could have played a little domestically (instead of Heereenveen), likewise Pandev could have skipped his first spell at Inter (where he was just loaned to lower league teams in Italy) and gone direct to Lazio or Napoli.

As I see it the only major downsides are possible crowd trouble (which sadly I think would be likely at first) and problems getting into European competitions. But I think there are ways around both of these issues. I would close the fixtures to away fans (from the different republics) for the first few years and then gradually re-introduce away fans for some fixtures, and then when this has been ok, re-introduce away fans for all fixtures. So using Dinamo Zagreb as an example fans in the first season can go to away games against NK Rijeka, Hajduk, Osijek etc, second season Maribor, Velez Mostar, Vadar Skopje, and if that's ok then to Partizan and Crvena Zvezda (and the same rules for Partizan fans).

The problem with European football qualification is that you could end up with a situation where only 1-2 clubs in the merged league are ever close to making CL or EL group stages. So it could be Partizan and Dinamo are the only teams to get close to the CL for decades, and others like Željezničar dont even have the chance to make Europe. It's something that could be a problem in the proposed Ukraine-Russia merged league (potentially you would only have 1-2 teams of Shakhtar, Dynamo Kiev, Zenit, Spartak, CSKA, Anji getting to the CL whereas at the moment 4 can) - the organisers of the Russian-Ukraine merger are trying to get UEFA to stagger the EL/CL qualification for 4-5 years to make this less of a problem. So for the first few seasons, the top two Ukrainian and top two Russian teams would make the CL (even if say only Russian teams finished in the top 4). I think they could do something similar for the first years of a combined ex-Yugoslavia league, and then run European qualification normally.

it seems that you are very familiar with how the things were and how they are atm in this region. :)

are you from ex yu?

There is no way that this kind of league could exist before financial situation gets better. Nowadays only Dinamo and Crvena Zvezda (and maybe Partizan) have enough money to sign some better players and try to do something in European competitions.
While it doesnt get better there is no need for that kind of league because I think that "little" clubs could get even worse results than now.

Back
Top Bottom