ENGLAND thread

Re: England Thread - Gerrard to Suarez! Rooney's fault.

I haven't seen the match against Italy, but yesterday was a bad performance.
IMO the winning goal wasn't a mistake by Gerrard.

The first was a mistake by him...

I haven't seen the match against Italy, but yesterday was a bad performance.
IMO the winning goal wasn't a mistake by Gerrard.

The first was a mistake by him...

Even Gerd says Gerrard is a mistake.

Gerrard out!

World Cup: England captain Steven Gerrard urges Harry Redknapp to name and shame players

Steven Gerrard has urged Harry Redknapp to name and shame the players he claims wanted to withdraw from England duty while he was manager of Tottenham.

Redknapp claimed on Sunday that certain England players urged him to make them unavailable for international duty during his tenure at White Hart Lane.

But the England captain has been angered by the claims and demanded the QPR boss come forward and reveal the players he is referring to.

"I don't know who he means. Is it five years ago? 10 years ago? We need names," said Gerrard.

"If it's the case, it's disgusting."

The England team are still coming to terms with their early exit from the World Cup as they prepare to face Costa Rica in their final Group D game before returning home.

"I don't know who he means. Is it five years ago? 10 years ago? We need names. If it's the case, it's disgusting."
Steven Gerrard
But Gerrard insists there has been no lack of commitment or effort among the squad in Brazil.

"I can guarantee that is not the case here," added Gerrard. "Nobody here wants to go home.

"In the two years I've been here, I've seen a greater interest in playing for England, so Harry's comments come as a bit of a surprise."

Redknapp stunned members of the England camp in Brazil on Sunday with his claims about his former players at Spurs.

"When I was at Tottenham, when full internationals came around, there were two or three players who did not want to play for England," the QPR boss told the BBC.

"They would come to me 10 days before the game and say, 'Gaffer, get me out of that game, I don't want to play in that game'.

"I'd say, 'you're playing for your country, you should want to play'.

"(They would say) 'Nah, my girlfriend is having a baby in four weeks, I don't want to play' and that is the truth, so it makes you wonder."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...rges-harry-redknapp-to-name-and-shame-players

Can't blame players not wanting to play for England. The shit they have to listen to from the media and the fans is ridiculous and sad.

Can't blame players not wanting to play for England. The shit they have to listen to from the media and the fans is ridiculous and sad.

The English media is disgusting as are many of the fans. They lack the ability to look at the bigger picture with rationality.

I always get the impression the England team is playing in fear....fear of making a mistake and the subsequent treatment they will get back home. We will never achieve anything unless this culture changes.

Other nations just have better players or, in the case of a team like Holland, at least a couple of standout top level players. They also have a top manager and not a journeyman like Hodgson.

Our standout player is Rooney and in form he's one of the best around ...but he's only ever in form for 1/3 of a season. And so the chances of him being on form in a tournament is unlikely.

All the main footballing nations are under intense pressure. Besides, there was no pressure on the England squad heading into this WC. Can't use that excuse again.

I also get the impression that they don't feel they're good enough. If they were confident in themselves, they wouldn't be worried about media pressure. As Godotelli said, players like Gerrard were shitting themselves since the first group game.

Agree, what the press and the public are doing to that team is a shame.

Germany aren't what they were but We look the best we have for a long time.

Young, energetic, high pressure, high tempo, crisp passing.

We're playing PL football rather than trying to copy the general slower paced international style.

Keep Rooney out, Roy.

Still think there are a fair few team ahead of England, but they do have some really good young players, Kane looks really good and Alli is an excellent talent.

Hard coming from a Scotsman to admit, lol. Although as I said don't see them getting near the trophy though.

FD

:)) Another tournament here we come. im definitely more optimistic for this one than the last few.

defense will be what lets us down though ultimately.

how bad was sterling? he was terrible, Dier was pretty good. Kane was no where to be found... I like rooney in his role, i think it suits everyone well.

Shame, this was a good England team.
Can't understand why Roy didn't bring in Vardy for an abysmally bad Sterling.
Instead he brought in Wilshere for a very good Rooney. Wilshere, come on...

England were winning with Sterling on the pitch. Milner came on and completey relinquished the flank to Russia.

Sterling had a decent 1st half and at least stretched Russia in the 2nd. But it doesn't matter what he does tbh, he'll always be the scapegoat because people have it in for him.

Can see why Rooney came off, he looked knackered. On Rooney in general, his individual performance can be good but I'm not a fan of him in CM as the main playmaker.
He's always looking for the floater to the flanks rather than dictating via quick short (forward!) more incisive passes. This is something Wilshere does and for me would be one of the 1st names on the teamsheet. He is our best player technically. For Rooney to play CM Wilshere has to play there rather than Alli, who should then be played in a narrow wide position.

--------------Dier
----- Roo/Alli -- Wilshere
Alli/Lall ---- Kane --- Alli/Sterling

Back to the game, I would have brought Kane and Lallana off for Vardy and Henderson and pushed Alli forward.
I think you defend a lead by scaring the opposition into not playing a high line, pace does that, not just by bringing on more defensive players like Milner

Last edited:
dude you got those blue tinted glasses on. Sterling made horrible decisions and broke down all of the good moves started by rooney, dier and llallna,... he was fucking awful! I dont have a stake then other watching a good game and he made the game shit!!!

I thought Sterling was decent too, not all of his dribbles came off, but he provided more threat than Lallana. Kane was probably the worst player on the pitch. Why on earth was he taking corners?

Sterling has place and used it well, but his passing was terrible.
It's true that this wasn't Kane's best match.

Also thought Sterling was horrible for the most part. Yes he kept pushing forward but his passes lack precision and decisiveness. In a way I now miss the somewhat immature Liverpool version of Raheem as he seems to be the kind of player who needs a bit of cockiness in his game to be effective.

By far the worst on the pitch was Lallana. Hodson s lack of sense in his subs seemed to be similar to LVG. The let's throw mud at the wall and see what sticks method of tactics. A shame really because this England team has the ability to play some of the nicest footie this tourney, and I was actually fairly entertained watching the game.

wtf is that with england, strikers taking free kicks, set pieces, corners...

I bet Kane doesn`t throw too many get together`s at his house.He won`t let no one eat,drink,nor dance. You're stuck just watching him to the lot.:SMUG:

England once won it w/ WHU core.:JAY:

Back
Top Bottom