ENGLAND thread

Re: England Thread - Euro 2012 Squad Announced

I'm supporting France this year after seeing that squad.

I...Just...I can't. Fathom what happened when deciding that squad.

I'll go with Italy this year and put my Muppet cap on while informing us who we HAVE to sign everyday after their last match.

Last edited:

Downing better not score or assist after the shit he's produced this season. I will expect to have some amusement watching england this summer. A clueless look from Rodgson in the final / 3rd game whilst England get knocked out could be the best moment ;).

Bunch of loyalist... I always vote España being hispanic ;) whatnots.

I can't believe it. Honestly.

I thought Hodgson would be clever and actually take players that deserve it/try out some youth and see what happens but instead he's picked the same rubbish, past it team that we've had for the past god knows how many years.

Sack him now.

Apparently he said he looked at Chamberlain because of his performances against greats like Ambrosini and Pirlo.

Ambrosini didn't play against Arsenal and Pirlo was a Juve player.

Did he really say that? :SHOCK:

Apparently he said he looked at Chamberlain because of his performances against greats like Ambrosini and Pirlo.

obamahmm.png

DOWNING?? why ffs. i was hoping because g neville is coach he'd call his mate paul scholes to come and play.. but seriously what is the fucking point of downing? and lol at selecting john terry over rio because of football reasons. just be honest with it roy and say you selected terry because you didnt want shit to kick off..

The FA delayed Terry's judgement so he could play the Euros, but let's face it, Terry's been shit during the season, hasn't he?
That game against Livepool... what was that!
To me it's very bad that Terry is in the team. Makes everybody uncomfortable, the black players especially, for having a racist cunt in the squad. Plus Terry makes more enemies than his footballing abilities can afford - just because of him alone the England manager cannot pick the Ferdinand brothers and Wayne Bridge. What's next?

Terry has been shit for years but since Carvalho moved on it has really started to show. He's a reactive defender and doesn't read the game particularly well. When he was younger with more pace (and with a decent centre half alongside him) he could get away with it, but nowadays he's just slow and shit.

His time at liverpool was full of crap like this, and he hasnt even been under pressure yet. Even lying about rafa stopping kenny, which he later admitted. Glad to see its only taken his first move before everyone has started up about him.

Nothing has been learned from the 2010 debacle it seems.

Terry has been shit for years but since Carvalho moved on it has really started to show. He's a reactive defender and doesn't read the game particularly well. When he was younger with more pace (and with a decent centre half alongside him) he could get away with it, but nowadays he's just slow and shit.
indeed. why ferdinand wasn't called btw? is he injured or something? and how did hodgson justified downing's and carroll's presence in the team? that's seriously messed up. nothing against those 2... carroll might well become a good player in a few years and a well-performing downing might indeed be national team material..... but surely not after this season!
i like roy, i really do, but seriously what the hell is he doing? this adventure doesn't seem to be getting off on the right foot.

Actually Carroll I might understand, he did show his mettle in the last few weeks. So this form he's in can still be carried to the national team.

But Downing? Liked him when he was at Middlesbrough, but he hasn't shown any of his old self at Liverpool. I'd actually take Jarvis instead...

indeed. why ferdinand wasn't called btw? is he injured or something? and how did hodgson justified downing's and carroll's presence in the team? that's seriously messed up. nothing against those 2... carroll might well become a good player in a few years and a well-performing downing might indeed be national team material..... but surely not after this season!
i like roy, i really do, but seriously what the hell is he doing? this adventure doesn't seem to be getting off on the right foot.

Ferdinand wasn't called because Terry called his brother a "black cunt" and obviously this is an issue that makes it impossible for them to play together.
If the FA keeps backing Terry to be in the team like they do, soon there will be not enough players to represent England.
What a fine mess!

wow! so hodgson had to pick one and he chose terry?!? that is pretty messed up indeed.:CONFUSE:
lami said:
Actually Carroll I might understand, he did show his mettle in the last few weeks. So this form he's in can still be carried to the national team.
i see. it still sounds pretty risky to use a spot for carrol, but when u put it like this, it might make sense.

also is there a reason why people in england seem to have such little respect for carrick? he always seems to fall under the radar during theese international competitions, and it's not like england has a plethora of world class players in that position.
honestly if he were italian (and if it were up to me) i'd pick him. he wouldn't be a starter (then again we do have the likes of pirlo, de rossi, marchisio and nocerino at midfield), but he would certainly make the 23 men squad cut.

Yes Carrick has always been under-rated and should've been selected.

If I were Italian, he wouldn't be in my first 11 either but selected and for Spain NT, he definitely would NOT make it. But for England, he could and he should have. He could even make their starting 11.

Carrick's too "continental", he doesn't run around enough and throw himself into tackles.

If Gattuso was English, we'd probably have a statue of him outside Wembley stadium.

If I were Italian, he wouldn't be in my first 11 either but selected and for Spain NT, he definitely would NOT make it.
Not sure why you brought up Spain, how many non-Spanish central midfielders would make the Spanish squad? I can't think of many.

Pirlo? Schweinsteiger? Scott Parker?

Carrick's too "continental", he doesn't run around enough and throw himself into tackles.

If Gattuso was English, we'd probably have a statue of him outside Wembley stadium.

Not sure why you brought up Spain, how many non-Spanish central midfielders would make the Spanish squad? I can't think of many.

Pirlo? Schweinsteiger? Scott Parker?

Yeah not many at all.

Personally I think Carroll is a limited player and shouldn't be anywhere near the England team. Six goals in 42 appearances for Liverpool is not good enough.

I feel sorry for Grant Holt (and that's a big statement as an Ipswich fan). He's had a great return of goals this season and averages a goal every other game for Norwich. He's only 31, too, so far from past it.

I just think leaving Holt out is a missed opportunity. He would provide a genuine option for the inevitable time when England run out of ideas and need a big man up front to get on the end of the long balls.

I think England should realise they're not going to out-football Spain, Germany or others, and just do something different. Stick Holt and Carroll up front, and barrage opposition defenses with long balls. It's not pretty, but it's a damn nightmare to defend against, and gives England a better chance.

I agree! lol

Sometimes you just have to play to your strengths. England's - if they have a strength - is direct, physical football using a 4-4-2 system. There's no shame in playing the way you are used to.

For the future I'd like to see that change, but for now.....

yup this is the funny part, i think PL is the strongest competition on Earth but if it comes to name at least 11 english players who can beat any team on Earth then you ...just...realize...you cant...you already wanted to name Clichy, Drogba, Toure, Cech ohoh, but wait a minute :D

only Rooney, Welbeck, Chamberlain and maybe Parker will perform great i guess

btw whats up with Adam Johnson, Lennon, Sturridge, G Holt, K Walker, Wilshere?

Last edited:

I think England should realise they're not going to out-football Spain, Germany or others, and just do something different. Stick Holt and Carroll up front, and barrage opposition defenses with long balls. It's not pretty, but it's a damn nightmare to defend against, and gives England a better chance.

That doesn't work even if you want it to, you need atleast SOMEONE! who can get their foot on the ball, Carrick Deep with Parker as the destroyer and Wilshire as the creative hub is very talented but still wouldn't outpass Spain but they'd atleast have the ability to get on the ball,

the idea of just hoofing it forward won't work if you don't even have any foundations to pass it out as it sometimes is required.

Back
Top Bottom