ENGLAND thread

Re: England Thread - Youth it is!

hey guys, nice to be playing against each others again. i don't know why, but i always had a bit of a soft spot for england's national team, and i'm looking forward to see us playing against your lot (although apparently the pitch isn't exactly gonna favour high quality football).

are there any news about your starting 11? :))

I read on some news sterling may start instead of welbeck. so I guess it should be like this.

hart - johnson(hope not), jagielka, cahill, baines - sterling, henderson, gerrard, lallana - sturridge, rooney (or 4-2-3-1 rooney behind sturridge) lallana and sterling can switch sides as well.

----------Hart--------
Johnson-Cahill-Jagielka-Baines
-------Gerrard-Henderson----
-Sterling--Rooney--Welbeck
----------Sturridge--------

Think that's how we'll line up.

wow! what happened to good old conservative roy! that's a bold lineup right there! :CONFUSE:

Last edited:
England Thread - Youth it is!

----------Hart--------

Good lineup IMO. Let the young guns loose and see what they can do. Wish Barkley was in there though. C'mon England!

wow! what happened to good old conservative roy! that's a bold lineup right there! :CONFUSE:

giphy.gif

Offensive lineups, heat, a Pandrelli team!

giphy.gif

Offensive lineups, heat, a Pandrelli team!

:DD

btw is this offensive approach something new? i don't think i've watched england since euro 2012 and i remember quite a cautious team back then.

best of luck for tonight guys!! i've never seen a team line up such an uncompromising formation against us. if the heat doesn't play too big a role, this could turn out to be one hell of a match! :))

Last edited:

cos woy loves him (alot), and i doubt sterling is gonna start, it probably be lallana or milner on right, i hope for lallana, welbeck though does normally player better for england than when he plays for manchester red. but tbh rooney is a bigger problem than welbeck, with rooney playin #10 role we got no chance, he cant create anything and roy needs to get his fucking nuts out and stop selecting him by default, i think we gonna get beat 1-0 or maybe 2-0 late on..

I agree, stick Rooney up front as a 9 or don't play him at all (the latter is never gonna happen). Lallana and Barkley deserve a chance as number 10.

Good game tonight guys. Let's hope the stadium and field don't impact/injure any of the players on the field tonight.... I have a bad feeling about it :)

----------Hart--------

Was spot on with the lineup.

That was also the first well worked England goal going forward I've seen in years.

And after all the media backlash and social media nonsense against him, thought Welbeck did well while he was on. He always plays better more often for England than Utd for some reason.

Couldn't agree more. First time I wasn't bored of watching them.

maybe they are destined to be the losers. ha ha. joke aside, very well display from england. hope they also advance to 2nd round.

Played really well I thought. High energy, kept the ball, a bit unlucky conceding the second imo - did Italy have another attempt in the 2nd half?

Italy were impressive too, very regimented and slowed the game to a walk.

With Uruguay losing, suddenly becomes much more interesting.

Played really well I thought. High energy, kept the ball, a bit unlucky conceding the second imo - did Italy have another attempt in the 2nd half?

With Uruguay losing, suddenly becomes much more interesting.

untitled-5t1ujt.gif

I think we intentionally didn't go forward to avoid counter attacks. I think the team approached the match with the right mindset - control the game, which we did and the possession figures and passing figures showed this. England were only threatening on the counter, so we slowed the game right down that they could no longer do so.

We were in no hurry to score, and were pretty calm throughout. It was a team effort and we pulled it off.

Towards the final 20/30 mins England relied too much on the right flank with Sterling - imo it got a bit predictable so we had 2 men on him (Chiellini and Paletta).

Last edited:

Totally agree, Italy were excellent tactically.

Still any time a team has that much territorial dominance, you'd expect at least one guilt-edged chance...England didn't sort it out.

I actually enjoyed our attacking play and that's the first time I've said that since Hoddle was in charge

If we could get a couple of defenders coming through in the next year or 2 we could actually have an exiting future :SHOCK:

As for the game, it was a bit frustrating given that their GK had more to do, we should have had a pen and our final ball went to shit in the last 10-15mins.

If only Rooney got that effort on target...

I don't understand tho why Woy didn't just put someone like Henderson on Pirlo. The rest of their team aren't that good but Pirlo is an all time great and still brilliant. He could carry on playing for another 5+ years

Agree with everything said so far.

No need to panic, that was very encouraging. same line-up in the next game please.

Loved that Costa Rica beat Uruguay. I hope they go through along with Italy. I like Uruguay as well but today they were pretty ordinary and deserved the loss.

I don't understand tho why Woy didn't just put someone like Henderson on Pirlo. The rest of their team aren't that good but Pirlo is an all time great and still brilliant.

:DOH: oh boy...
forget the "the rest of their team aren't that good" bit, do u really believe all u need to stop pirlo is to man mark him? with only one man? and HENDERSON?!? :LOL:
de rossi couldn't single-handedly mark pirlo out of the game, nevermind henderson, poor fella.
the whole point of being an "all time great", as u call em, is that it's kinda difficult to stop them. if all u needed to handle pirlo was 1 player set on man marking, then he wouldn't be much of a threat, wouldn't he? ;))
i've been watching this man playing football since he was a kid in brescia, and i can tell u the only way to contain him (mind u, i didn't say stop him, just contain him) is to put 2 players on him (one on man marking, the other on coverage)... 2 players entirely devoted to follow pirlo for the entire game....
but of course, if u waste 2 players on "pirlo-control" duties against italy, then marchisio, de rossi and candreva are going to tear u a new one. :P

nah, roy did a great job. u were playing against a better team yesterday (and not just because of pirlo, godotelli) and u almost didn't make the quality-gap matter.
i can't even remember the last time an opponent lined up such a gutsy and offensive formation against us... even the big guns (such as spain and germany) usually play it very cautiously when they face us. and yet u guys weren't just very dangerous in your counters, u also defended brilliantly.

fantastic performance guys, don't let the result fool u. the difference between yesterday's england and euro 2012 england couldn't be bigger, and i think (especially after watching uruguay and costarica) u guys have great chances to make it to the next round.
u sure won me over yesterday! good luck lads, i'll be cheering for u :))

Back
Top Bottom