eFootball (All Platforms)

Meh. I mean their gameplay has always been leagues above FIFA it's not even comparable, and this is why we're playing. I just want to be blown away by the graphics and presentation without having a download 500gb worth of mods.
Knight, I like you man.. but even this is a very audacious statement, especially post PES 2019.

While the last 3 games are far from terrible, and I enjoy them generally for what they are, 2020 & 2021 has inexplicable faults regarding responsiveness, AI and player positioning that even the last 3 FIFA games are superior in those areas and that's saying something.

However, Up until FIFA/PES 17, PES was inferior to FIFA on the PS4 generation in the gameplay and simulation department by a landslide.

However, If we're discussing PS2 era? I'll drink to your statement 7 days a week.

Knight, I like you man.. but even this is a very audacious statement, especially post PES 2019.

While the last 3 games are far from terrible, and I enjoy them generally for what they are, 2020 & 2021 has inexplicable faults regarding responsiveness, AI and player positioning that even the last 3 FIFA games are superior in those areas and that's saying something.

However, Up until FIFA/PES 17, PES was inferior to FIFA on the PS4 generation in the gameplay and simulation department by a landslide.

However, If we're discussing PS2 era? I'll drink to your statement 7 days a week.
Come one mate this is not fair. FIFA is always way responsive because the players movements has no logic, it's like "Looney Tunes on Crack ", about AI and players positioning it really hard to compere it, but yes, PES is pretty bad in that regard, but i don't see FIFA to be much better too.

Again ! You all know that but for some reason you forget it, but the only reason PES has had it for so many years is only because of the better gameplay and mods/edit community! That is the ONLY reasons !!!

Last edited:
Honestly I find it hard to consider the posts of someone who is a content creator for the series with 30k+ subscribers, many videos with hundreds of thousands of views (one with 1M+), many more with tens of thousands, sponsored videos ("Get Opera GX gaming browser" is first line in the last video description) and a Patreon as being neutral and based on the reality of the situation.

I don't know how lucrative these videos are or how many people donate (nor do I really care for the specific numbers) but if there is a financial gain to be had from the series gaining popularity, bringing in more viewers/subscribers/Patreons then I can't imagine many people in that situation would make content or post opinions that could contribute to jeopardising that by turning people away by reflecting the dire state the product/series (well, not really a series now) is in. If eFootball dies on it's arse, so do any channels or websites creating content for (and making money from) modern PES, such as the YouTube channels/PES Universe etc.

Their only real options are;
(a) Cling onto eFootball, clutching at straws and desperately hoping it's not as dreadful as it seems, and try to convince people not to give up on it.
(b) Stay focussed on PES 2021 or branch out to retro-PES (probably not a big user base for this going forward)
(c) Switch to covering FIFA, which doesn't really fit the brand that was created and FIFA content creation is already a saturated space.
(d) Fully embrace the worst of mobile/lootbox toxicity.

To me (a) with a bit of (d) seem the most sensible choices for anyone with ambitions to keep their channel alive potentially as a career, however slim the chances may be with the fragile state the product seems to be in.

Imagine if this wasn't such a monumental fuck up by Konami, and they had genuinely created a brilliant next-gen football simulation and it brought in millions of new players - the leading content creators would have been quids in. This could have been their meal ticket for years to come with potential for collaborations/employment with Konami etc. I'm disappointed we won't be getting a decent football game but it must be even more crushing for people in the position where there were career opportunities.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. Both games have been quite bad in terms of gameplay but it still edges out FIFA. FIFA is lifeless hockey on grass.
Each to their own. PES is lifeless to me, can’t play more than two matches without getting bored senseless.

Its the silence before the storm guys, relax. (shitstorm i mean).

I'm still waiting for that mysterious gameplay to pop up, more exactly for 3 months now... To expect from them few minutes of legit gameplay footage feels Iike a rare commodity or searching for the Lost Ark... They are hidden in the bushes right now like some perverse and diabolic leprechauns that they are, laughing and whispering at us: " You'll never get it !!! You'll never get it !!! :BLEH:"

I'm still waiting for that mysterious gameplay to pop up, more exactly for 3 months now... To expect from them few minutes of legit gameplay footage feels Iike a rare commodity or searching for the Lost Ark... They are hidden in the bushes right now like some perverse and diabolic leprechauns that they are, laughing and whispering at us: " You'll never get it !!! You'll never get it !!! :BLEH:"
Please someone release something .. that West Ham game is pushing him over the edge

Honestly I find it hard to consider the posts of someone who is a content creator for the series with 30k+ subscribers, many videos with hundreds of thousands of views (one with 1M+), many more with tens of thousands, sponsored videos ("Get Opera GX gaming browser" is first line in the last video description) and a Patreon as being neutral and based on the reality of the situation.

I don't know how lucrative these videos are or how many people donate (nor do I really care for the specific numbers) but if there is a financial gain to be had from the series gaining popularity, bringing in more viewers/subscribers/Patreons then I can't imagine many people in that situation would make content or post opinions that could contribute to jeopardising that by turning people away by reflecting the dire state the product/series (well, not really a series now) is in. If eFootball dies on it's arse, so do any channels or websites creating content for (and making money from) modern PES, such as the YouTube channels/PES Universe etc.

(a) Cling onto eFootball, clutching at straws and desperately hoping it's not as dreadful as it seems, and try to convince people not to give up on it.
(b) Stay focussed on PES 2021 or branch out to retro-PES (probably not a big user base for this going forward)
(c) Switch to covering FIFA, which doesn't really fit the brand that was created and FIFA content creation is already a saturated space.

To me (a) with a bit of (d) seem the most sensible choices for anyone with ambitions to keep their channel alive potentially as a career, however slim the chances may be with the fragile state the product seems to be in.

Imagine if this wasn't such a monumental fuck up by Konami, and they had genuinely created a brilliant next-gen football simulation and it brought in millions of new players - the leading content creators would have been quids in. This could have been their meal ticket for years to come with potential for collaborations/employment with Konami etc. I'm disappointed we won't be getting a decent football game but it must be even more crushing for people in the position where there were career opportunities.
thank you!! this is what i've been thinking the whole time... it always comes down to money/profit and that's why we have these shills.

I agree with much of what you put here, but I would add also: these sorts of factors/conditions, that may compromise someone in this position, may influence them in a number of ways. The below is not something I'm targeting at any YouTuber or Twitch streamer in particular, just someone in that position.

So it doesn't have to be as considered and cut-throat as perhaps it seems in your post – a different way those factors could weigh on someone in that situation is this: they are invested personally and financially (to some degree, though maybe not a fulltime gig) in the PES game series, and the future of PES/eFootball, to such a degree that their online sense of self is quite bolstered and determined by their place in the PES "content creator" ecosystem. I think we see this all the time across all sorts of online arenas – blue tick Twitter users, football club fan accounts (case in point: how United content creators don't address plausible Ronaldo allegations or the Giggs situation), and so on.

I think if you have sort of formed your online identity over time by having that sort of recognition in that space, it will change the stakes of the thing you do (in this case, play/analyse/create PES content) being threatened in some way. Just being in that position can make it hard for a person to even see the negatives as they plainly are, or to see silver linings where maybe they aren't. I mean to say, all that can be quite unconscious, given with the status and recognition one has acquired in relation to the game in question.

I know that that probably comes across as really patronising; if I were a "content creator" and read that I would probably prefer to read accusations of being an out-and-out shill. But I just think it's a very human thing and difficult to escape. Of course, those being positive could end up being right – but I don't think for the right reasons. The writing is on the wall with eFootball at the moment, and it has been for some time. We should take that at face value.

I notice something very similar among those for whom modern PES games are an important part of their social world. Playing in the league I mentioned before, some of us have formed friendships from playing together, and we need PES to be decent and compatible for us to continue this particular thing that some of us do literally every day of our lives. Some league members have been extremely hostile to criticism, and have been blindly writing off evidence that things aren't right when they are staring them in the face. And it's the same sort of thing: a social identity so bound up with the game that it actually hurts to think of it as "over", or as so much worse than it's been before.

I think it can be hard to keep a clear head if you haven't already dissociated yourself in some way from the franchise and the company behind it.

Hmm. So my choices are either to stick to eFootball or stick to PES 2021? It sounds like I have the same options everyone else here has. I thought as a content creator I had one choice to make which was to blindly support eFootball!

BTW, if you're speaking about my options, it's actually better for me if everyone stuck to PES 2021. Why the hell would I want people to play eFootball? It has no mods. I don't know how to play it. Not only will my footage look no different than anyone else playing it because it has no mods, but my footage would actually look worse because I won't have much time to learn a new game over the next few months so by the time I get around to playing it, literally everyone else will be better at playing it.

So it seems that I'm acting against my best interests by saying that I like the direction eFootball is heading to in terms of gameplay.

That all said, eFootball looks like it's heading to a trainwreck of a launch if it looks SO BAD that they don't want Spoony and Cam sharing footage of the game tomorrow.

BTW I haven't received anything from Konami nor have I had any contact with their marketing department or whatever.

thank you!! this is what i've been thinking the whole time... it always comes down to money/profit and that's why we have these shills.

Sigh. I was never contacted by Konami in any form, nor have I hesitated to point out anything I didn't like about the gameplay. Even in my 'positive videos' about PES or eFootball, I kept mentioning the things I hated and the things I thought are unacceptable to be missing. I spent months making a single video to tell the world why I loved and why I hated this game, and how it can be made better.

Anyway, how do I feel about eFootball? Unless the answer is "I 200% HATE IT AND DON'T SEE ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT It", then I'll be classified as a 'shill' around here.

But if I dare say that there are notable improvements on paper when it comes to the gameplay (everything is on paper until we play the game) then boom: He's a Konami lover shill.

Are you kidding me? The game is launching with 5 tactics down from 100s of Tactical variations. The most important graphic in the game (grass) is nowhere to be seen except in 1 second from the Gamescom trailer.

Dribbling speed sounds much better, Defending sounds much better (except for the second defender call), shooting seems more controlled. These are all core mechanics and good help. Ball Physics might be better too.

But literally everything else is worse. Graphics worse than the modded game, net physics are worse than PES 2011, modes are NONEXISTENT.

I'm just pointing out that yes a there are things to look forward to in eFootball's gameplay. But I'm an offline player, why would I even bother pointing people towards an online game?

Anyway, anyone here with a different opinion (e.g. Everything about eFootball sucks) can be free to broadcast it. As for me, I will continue to say my own opinion, until I play the game and feel the need to change it or not.

Wow @The_Knight , you went and got me a warning on here, but you sound just like the rest of us on reddit.

"The problem is the game looks like shit so it seems that releasing the footage would be worse than not releasing anything at all."

"Two months? Everyone else would migrate to FIFA. By the time this 'better' eFootball is out, nobody would care. The development team just royally fucked up. This isn't some third person shooter they can keep pushing back if they didn't meet development deadlines. Soccer season starts in August/September and you can't delay a soccer game release till Christmas."

Just so it is clear, I was replying to these & I got called out for attacking opinions.

https://evoweb.uk/threads/efootball...pes-come-pay-your-respects.83625/post-3756960
https://evoweb.uk/threads/efootball...pes-come-pay-your-respects.83625/post-3756971

You seem to have changed your tune drastically in 2 days.

Wow @The_Knight , you went and got me a warning on here, but you sound just like the rest of us on reddit.

"The problem is the game looks like shit so it seems that releasing the footage would be worse than not releasing anything at all."

"Two months? Everyone else would migrate to FIFA. By the time this 'better' eFootball is out, nobody would care. The development team just royally fucked up. This isn't some third person shooter they can keep pushing back if they didn't meet development deadlines. Soccer season starts in August/September and you can't delay a soccer game release till Christmas."

Just so it is clear, I was replying to these & I got called out for attacking opinions.

https://evoweb.uk/threads/efootball...pes-come-pay-your-respects.83625/post-3756960
https://evoweb.uk/threads/efootball...pes-come-pay-your-respects.83625/post-3756971

Wait a second, did you actually need someone to point out that they aren't showing their game 1 week before "launch" because it probably looks like trash? I actually intentionally make a point of using modded PES 2021 footage in my "eFootball videos" just to give an indirect comparison between an "old-gen" modded game, and their brand new 2-3 year in development next-gen game.

And did you need someone to point out to you that the ONLY reason Konami is clearly rushing out eFootball despite it missing grass, graphics, teams, tactics, etc, is to avoid people jumping ship to FIFA?

Again, these aren't new opinions I just changed or formed because of something magical you said that made me reconsider. It's just a fact, that when a game is missing so much, and looks so bad that they won't show it a week before it's out, then the only reason they won't delay release is to avoid releasing it 2 months after FIFA.

Soccer/Football games don't have the luxury of delaying release of incomplete games the way first and third person shooters do. With this sport, there's a real life event happening parallel to it (real leagues etc) and you don't just release your soccer game in Christmas. It just happens that their development team royally messed up with their deadlines, and weren't able to deliver the product in time, and it's unfortunate that this kind of product needs to come out in a certain window during the year.

What do I think of eFootball's gameplay? Nothing changed really: 1) I haven't played it 2) I like most of the gameplay changes 3) The ones I don't like, I still don't like 4) When/If I play the game, I'll have a chance to decide whether or not I need to stick to PES 2021 or move onto eFootball. It's highly unlikely I'll stay with PES 2021 even though my version looks phenomenal and has everything I need, but I won't have time to play games anyway till my exam in mid-December, so if I do have time to play, I'll most likely play eFootball just to get used to the new mechanics by the time I'm ready to make a review in January, and I CAN ONLY HOPE offline modes will be out by then, although it's not looking good based on how late they are releasing a game with acceptable graphics and core mechanics.

I went ahead and played the trial for FIFA 22 (Series X) and I hate to say it but the game was very good on manual settings and a cross between FIFA 16 and PES 2017 in simplicity to play good looking football. I bought it.

Interesting, this reddit comment was the complete opposite. Of course I haven't played FIFA22 but what he says has always rang true to me:

Positives​

• Presentation of menus, pack opening, statistics, and everything outside of the match is just on another level
  • The amount of quality of life is also top
  • Numerous very well built and thought out modes to play
  • Very enjoyable soundtrack
And that's it already...

Negatives​

Holy shit the gameplay is a fucking joke. The game rewards you for not playing football.

• There were so many occasions where these guys would pass the ball around in the box like they are playing freaking Handball.
  • Or they wouldn't do an obvious through-ball or free shot on goal every player in real life would do, because it's better to dribble another 3 opponents.
  • The animations are so damn floaty and wonky and some animation speeds are super unrealistic.

My Thoughts​

Looking back at PES21, the issues we have that reward anti-football (e.g. kick-off glitch, strange formations) are nothing compared to the problems Fifa 22 has. Looking at Fifa22's gameplay I know I could never play and enjoy EA's game: If the best way to play the game, is not the same as real football, then you failed as a football game.
Link to comment:

Yes, my tune has changed drastically from someone who says:

"I like the pro-FUMA direction the gameplay is heading to"
to
"They're probably not showing the game because it looks like shit"

.....it's almost as if my first opinion is about gameplay and the second opinion is about graphics, so it's almost as if your comment about my tune changing drastically makes no sense and that you're attacking for the sake of attacking, when I make sure to make myself clear every time. By the way I didn't complain to anyone that you were attacking me. You probably got the warning because you were?

Anyway again, feel free to express your opinion and sing it out as loud as you can. I will continue to judge the game based on what I see until I play it. Currently: I like where the gameplay is headed (once it gets there through the "updates", as for the look of the game, we have 1 second of next-gen grass, and we have ample proof that the game looks like **** and they'd rather nobody saw it even a week before release.

Wait a second, did you actually need someone to point out that they aren't showing their game 1 week before "launch" because it probably looks like trash? I actually intentionally make a point of using modded PES 2021 footage in my "eFootball videos" just to give an indirect comparison between an "old-gen" modded game, and their brand new 2-3 year in development next-gen game.

And did you need someone to point out to you that the ONLY reason Konami is clearly rushing out eFootball despite it missing grass, graphics, teams, tactics, etc, is to avoid people jumping ship to FIFA?

Again, these aren't new opinions I just changed or formed because of something magical you said that made me reconsider. It's just a fact, that when a game is missing so much, and looks so bad that they won't show it a week before it's out, then the only reason they won't delay release is to avoid releasing it 2 months after FIFA.

Soccer/Football games don't have the luxury of delaying release of incomplete games the way first and third person shooters do. With this sport, there's a real life event happening parallel to it (real leagues etc) and you don't just release your soccer game in Christmas. It just happens that their development team royally messed up with their deadlines, and weren't able to deliver the product in time, and it's unfortunate that this kind of product needs to come out in a certain window during the year.

What do I think of eFootball's gameplay? Nothing changed really: 1) I haven't played it 2) I like most of the gameplay changes 3) The ones I don't like, I still don't like 4) When/If I play the game, I'll have a chance to decide whether or not I need to stick to PES 2021 or move onto eFootball. It's highly unlikely I'll stay with PES 2021 even though my version looks phenomenal and has everything I need, but I won't have time to play games anyway till my exam in mid-December, so if I do have time to play, I'll most likely play eFootball just to get used to the new mechanics by the time I'm ready to make a review in January, and I CAN ONLY HOPE offline modes will be out by then, although it's not looking good based on how late they are releasing a game with acceptable graphics and core mechanics.

Ok .. I don't need you to point out anything to me. I'm not saying I changed your view either.

I was merely comparing your posts. The two where you started dissecting peoples words quote for quote. And then the new ones.

"Get Opera GX gaming browser" is first line in the last video description

Yep, after 6 years of making videos, I finally get a decent sponsor for a single filler video. WHAT A SHILL.

Yes, given most my viewers are PC Gamers, Opera reaches out to youtubers whose videos get good views. Not sure how me reading out their ad affects my views of eFootball though. I'd get even more views by trashing it as this is what people want to hear.

Opera GX is actually pretty epic I would have done it for free but it would cost me views so they pay me to counter this loss of views. Best thing I didn't even mention in the ad: Chrome extensions work on it. I wish the Steam Deck had it as memory and CPU will be precious on it.

Interesting, this reddit comment was the complete opposite. Of course I haven't played FIFA22 but what he says has always rang true to me:

Link to comment:
I had strongly considered FIFA this year after eFootball was announced. Would have been my first FIFA since FIFA 14 after playing the PES 14 demo and seeing how bad that was. Plus I wanted a football game for my, at that point, new PS4.

One thing that has put me off FIFA 22, purely from videos as I've not had a chance to play a demo of it, was a video of two pro gamers trying it out. Not sure if anyone else has seen it, but in the first half of the game, one guy scores two identical goals against his opponent. He cuts in from the left, does a finesse (?) Shot from just outside the left corner of the box and fires it over the keepers head into the far corner of the goal. He did it twice and both times it looked identical.

On PES 21 I've played about 16 Master League matches (I only just got this version) and not scored any goals that have been identical to any others I have scored. In fact I've only scored two in that time from outside the box (within a few yards of the penalty area) in open play. On the negative side though, I'm either a freekick genius, or freekicks are still a bit too easy as with PES 20, as I scored 2 free kicks last night alone (in two separate matches out of about 4). One was from about 35 yards out with a 75 rated free kick taker. I did get the sharpshooter achievement and it did look awesome though!

But in summary, that was concerning seeing two identical spectacular goals scored in FIFA in one game. I would like to try a demo of it though. Do FIFA usually release one for free after the main game release? I saw I could pay £3.99 for the privilege of a 10 hour early access trial of it. Hmmm, yeah right!

Back
Top Bottom