EA SPORTS PGA Tour [PS5/XBS/PC]

I have to admit, now that this game has been patched solidly for a year (and added "turn order" online, AT LAST), and now that I've given it a real chance... I think this is probably the best golf game I've ever played.

I have to think about strategy in a way I simply don't have to in any other game, because in most other games there's always a flop-shot-type option that will land you on (or close to) the hole every time.

Here, you have to run the ball up to certain greens (as you would have to in real life) - and although you can use the shot types to make your life easier, you can't simply do the old video-game-golf formula of "add backspin and it'll stop like magic".

So often I'm forced into a certain approach, and the commentary will remark that, on this course/hole, that's what everyone has to do (and detail exactly why) - which then makes you realise, holy shit, the game made me do what I would have had to do in real-life.

The physics side of things is far deeper than just "uphill add a club, downhill go down a club". You have to take so much more into account because sticky greens are hard to find, except for the very easiest courses. On top of that, when you use a marked ball so you can see the spin on the ball more easily, you realise just how accurate the model is.

Playing on "sim" swing and "sim" putting (but with the "tour" green grid and wind direction/speed), I'm having such a good time in career mode as I learn how to approach each course - which truly play so uniquely, it adds real depth to your shot choices.

I'm not shanking shots off the course entirely like I would in the 2K games, which I would like a bit more of - but I'm still shanking them enough that I end up in hazards that make life miserable.

Add to that the player attributes system, being able to pair up with AI players and challenge yourself against them during each round* as well as against the whole field, an amateur tour before you reach the PGA Tour and how nice the graphics are... It's right up there for me. I'm in love with this game right now.

*Excluding the amateur tour, and limited to the handful of licensed players only, which is one of my biggest issues!

I'd love it if I could play on the European tour as well, not just the American one - but you can't have everything...
Damn, OK you've really sold this to me. I never wanted to try it, now I will!

I'm on Xbox, I'd be up for this. Actually I just started playing Links 2003. You guys must have played it? I never did, but it's really great. Just feels so mature, serious and sim like.

We can all play that using LAN and Gameranger app.
Links 2003 has some features that are still missing in modern games, if I remember rightly - the custom tour options, including the AI you can create with various attributes, are amazing for a golf game. I remember playing full qualification tours and European PGA tours, with the likes of Colin Montgomerie. I can't see myself going back to it though, not when I'm enjoying this so much!

The PGA 2K games are excellent too but with licensing issues locking a lot of customisation, and the swing mechanic... I can't get on with it (not on the Xbox at least). But if you find EA PGA too easy - I certainly don't, not with the sim settings - it's worth a go.

OK, did a few of the lessons then tried my first game ever, online 1v1, matchplay, 9 holes.

It felt fantastic online. Felt so rewarding and satisfying when you nailed a shot onto the green or a long-range putt, despite the pressure. I was down 1, but eventually turned it around to win by 1. You really feel the pressure when your opponent is breathing down your neck, very enjoyable experience.

Just trying this out again now it's on gamepass. What are the best settings sliders for a good challenge but not impossible. Liking it so far.

Just trying this out again now it's on gamepass. What are the best settings sliders for a good challenge but not impossible. Liking it so far.
For me - use "tour" settings as a base, then switch the swing and putting to "sim".

Back
Top Bottom