Documentaries

I find any Attenborough, Morgan Spurlock and Louis Theroux documentaries to be very captivating, and hard to stop watching. Louis has a way to get you to sympathise with people, even if they're massive racists, and in the same time analyses them and criticises them - which is great.

I'll post some links of my favourites in a bit :)

I find any Attenborough, Morgan Spurlock and Louis Theroux documentaries to be very captivating, and hard to stop watching. Louis has a way to get you to sympathise with people, even if they're massive racists, and in the same time analyses them and criticises them - which is great.

I'll post some links of my favourites in a bit :)
Not watched any Spurlock documentaries (even Super Size Me, I like a McDonalds every now and again and don't want putting off :P).

Attenborough is brilliant, thought he went without saying as a master in this field!

I agree about Theroux - I recently watched a few episodes of Weird Weekends again and he does choose his words very wisely.

Always enjoyed the Louis Theroux documentaries as well.

David Attenborough's Galapagos was brilliant as are most of his documentaries.

I caught a bit of something called the Ultimate Animal countdown yesterday as i was flicking though and it was showing some of the defences animals/creatures have. It was crazy, some big eels that feed off dead fish and make a jelly like substance that acts as body armour when attacked and they even fend off great white sharks as the jelly makes them choke. Next one is about survivors.

Crime HD has some good stuff on as well as the usual Nat Geo, Discovery ect

Someone mentioned The Ross Kemp stuff on that blog

All of them are very good as well and so are some of Donal MacIntyre's earlier stuff

Last edited:
wow, i'm a huge admirer of sagan, i've seen many interviews and also read some of his books, but i've never watched this series of documentaries. gonna watch it this week end.

thanks a lot of the link mate! :))
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! The man has such a poetic, eloquent way of explaining complex concepts and putting things into perspective - the series inspires awe and wonder.

Here is a collection of videos 3-4 mins long each (produced or edited for NASA it seems), moving stuff:

YouTube - The Full Sagan Series 1-9 HD

I have never been one for reading books, but I just bought Sagan's Cosmos book, and it is brilliant.

talking about sagan's poetic, the man was deeply involved with the voyager 1 project (whose mission was to get to the far reaches of the solar system). well, once the voyager 1 reached saturn, sagan asked his colleagues to take a snapshot of the earth.
the picture would have been absolutely irrelevant from a scientific point of view (as the earth was too distant), but sagan thought it would have been useful to show the world that snapshot, as it would have helped us get a proper perspective on our actual (in)significance in the grand scheme of the cosmos.

that snapshot gave birth to a beautiful book (obviously written by sagan himself): pale blue dot. i strongly recommend u to read that book :))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfwY2TNehw

beautiful.

Last edited:
Yeah I've seen that image and video, absolutely breathtaking.

Neil deGrasse Tyson is going to be presenting a sequel/remake of Cosmos later this year/next year, I'm looking forward to it - Tyson is a charismatic and powerful speaker, a modern popularizer of science.

Here's my favourite speech from Tyson:
YouTube - We Stopped Dreaming (Episode 2) - A New Perspective

It saddens me that we have had to and will have to listen to bullshit from politicians about things that impact our society and culture over voices of reason like Sagan and Tyson.

Back
Top Bottom