Defending help...

quiet_riot

Welcome To Manchester
21 January 2007
Manchester
MCFC
I need help, my girlfriends brother keeps twatting me at PES2008, :blush:

I can't seem to tackle him at all, my players are slower than his, they overrun him and take an age to turn if I catch him, what do I do?

He beat me 8-1 yessterday, he was Saudi Arabi, I was Barcelona!

Oh dear, that's bad. Errrrrm if your getting beat like that I don't know what to say lol. Defending against a human player is harder. The main thing is not to commit to a sliding tackle, this will probably fail and will only succeed in leaving you wide open at the back while your defender gets up off his ass. Stay on your feet and just block his view of the goal, when you get close enough have a little niggle at him an try n nick the ball.

Also if you win the ball in your area and you can't easily pass your way out...hoof that ball away. Don't try and dribble it out unless it's safe enough to do so.

Are you sure you only need defensive help?! only scoring 1 goal against S.A with Barca is bad man. You should be able to counter attack pretty easily. Pass it about, use the through ball. With Barca your team is so difficult to win the ball off don't be afriad to just keep ahold of it with say Messi and run run run.

Just practice cus....getting beat 8-1 with those teams....geez!

The defending on Pes2008 is pretty poor as its made for attackers. As Just1 said in his answer you have to just try and block his way to goal and try and nick it off him. Try and make him go backwards or out wide and stay close and tight if you can. Its taken me nearly a year to work it out but it does come. Im sure with plenty of practice you will get the score down to 5 lol....jokin :O)

I need help, my girlfriends brother keeps twatting me at PES2008, :blush:

He beat me 8-1 yessterday, he was Saudi Arabi, I was Barcelona!

LOL

practice loads more and hope that with pes 2009 it's gonna be easier to defend as they said...

Heheh, maybe after a while you get a chance to beat the saudi's :applaud:

Well if the players are faster it has nothing to do with skill.
Since hes the one pawning you, im guessing he owns the game and your playing him on his machine, be it a PS3 or PC.
Get him to show you the players stats before the games, or if you think im right, go as saudi without saying anything.

L1+X to tackle?? hah, you change players with L1 to begin with, i think thats gonna cause some annoyance. Use R2+X instead.

losers always give in :D

Hehe, just quit if it's too hard...

btw: Converted??? it's not a religion!!!

Enjoy your conservative, way too much scripted game that supposed to be totally realistic in the eyes of many people. (Both games aren't!!!)

hmm, if anyone else needs help defending, the default settings on PES2009 are usually suited for fast paced teams, if u got teams with slower players maybe this can help.

Go to Formations, Simple Settings and change the A/D Levels to Defensive. Or just change it Manual, and you can use the R1+L2 button to rise up the A/D meter to Attacking. To go down back to defensive mode, just press L2+R2 until it goes down and turns green again.

hmm, if anyone else needs help defending, the default settings on PES2009 are usually suited for fast paced teams, if u got teams with slower players maybe this can help.

Go to Formations, Simple Settings and change the A/D Levels to Defensive. Or just change it Manual, and you can use the R1+L2 button to rise up the A/D meter to Attacking. To go down back to defensive mode, just press L2+R2 until it goes down and turns green again.

Also people were complaining about the sidebacks being out off position. If you give them high defence arrows and put the attacking arrows back to your own side (edit position )they stay behind a lot more so that's also a nice solution to defend against fast wingers. Mostly i do that when playing 4-3-3 with good defending sidebacks.

i cant defend on this game (pes2009).
the 'pressure' using x or [] do NOT work on this game.
the players runs towards the ball but only put in halfhearted tackles.
most of the time i run right thru between ball and attacker without putting a tackle in.

what hav they done to defending...thru out pes1 to nextgen...ive always based my game on solid defense (unlike most players who go for wingers). so i do know how to defend. but in this game its a joke.

also when the ball becomes loose from a (lucky) tackle...why do all players just stand still...even when the ball is right next to them. - let me add all player except the attacker who lost the ball in the first place.

Last edited:
i cant defend on this game (pes2009).
the 'pressure' using x or [] do NOT work on this game.
the players runs towards the ball but only put in halfhearted tackles.
most of the time i run right thru between ball and attacker without putting a tackle in.

what hav they done to defending...thru out pes1 to nextgen...ive always based my game on solid defense (unlike most players who go for wingers). so i do know how to defend. but in this game its a joke.

also when the ball becomes loose from a (lucky) tackle...why do all players just stand still...even when the ball is right next to them. - let me add all player except the attacker who lost the ball in the first place.

I am very similar to you mate. Its actually refreshing to see your post as I assumed it was just me.

I have taken the jump from PES6 on PS2 straight to PES2009 on the PS3 and the difference in defensive play is considerable.

Im not really bothered about it being difficult, eventually I would adjust but it almost feels "fifa-like" in 2009. I never feel in control of a situation even if i have 4 defenders on 1 attacker. Its the part of the game that is lacking big time for me

Back
Top Bottom