Crossing tips needed

Bullstein

Conference
18 May 2011
I use zero bars passing assist but I have a major problem when crosses.

Basically if I'm out wide, I try and sim my cross to about the penalty spot where my CF is but 99% of the time the cross goes to the GK about 4 yards out. It doesn't seem to matter where I aim, I even try aiming way way back but again it just goes to the GK

I did practice with using L2 + aim + O and that does help but its too fiddly for me to find time to pull off. I just want my crosses to go where I want, which since I'm not using passing assists it should do

Any tips?

Nope,

I've already stopped running and have my player turned towards ever I want it to go. It just seems scripted to go to the GK's area

I use zero bars passing assist but I have a major problem when crosses.

Basically if I'm out wide, I try and sim my cross to about the penalty spot where my CF is but 99% of the time the cross goes to the GK about 4 yards out. It doesn't seem to matter where I aim, I even try aiming way way back but again it just goes to the GK

I did practice with using L2 + aim + O and that does help but its too fiddly for me to find time to pull off. I just want my crosses to go where I want, which since I'm not using passing assists it should do

Any tips?

Use 'Early Cross' Bully, it's brilliant. And from a massive range of areas. They are usually out-swingers, depending on your body angle. I barely use the normal cross at all, it always seems to get intercepted by the CPU.

Early cross, early cross, early cross. And sometimes, very early cross. They hardly ever make it into the keeper's arms.

Also, if you are playing inverted wingers or side midfielders, R2 fullstop on the wing, draw the ball back, cut in, launch an inswinging cross. Screws the keeper up sometimes; defence often overuns the play.

I never cross from deep on the wing; always goes to the keeper, always draw back and think again. And I always press L1 and cross (which is early cross) no matter where I launch it from. Seems to put a curve on the ball nicely.

Makes no difference at all, late cross, early cross or low cross all the same result either in the keepers arms or cleared easily by defence with strikers nowhere near heading it, in at least 100 attempts. The couple of headers I have made just loop over bar.

The crossing in PES 2013 is by far the best I've seen in any football game to date, the physics and variety of them is top notch.

I made a bit of a guide for crossing in PES 2011, which I'll recap almost word for word in this post as the controls for the crossing haven't changed since then.

Cross types:
Regular cross -
b.png

Lower whipped/driven cross -
b.png
b.png

Ground cross -
b.png
b.png
b.png

Lofted cross (less pace, more elevation) -
rt.png
+
b.png

Early cross -
lb.png
+ Any of the above (use anywhere in opponent's half when not in line with the penalty area)

Aiming the cross:

Holding the left stick in different directions when you perform any of the above actions decides where your cross will be aimed towards.

As far as I can see, this is still 8-directional and is as follows (tele cam, attacking left to right on the right wing):

Up - Back post
Down - Near post
Right - In front of defence/towards keeper
Left - Behind defenders nearer the penalty spot

Then there's obviously the diagonals to combine these effects.

Those two points above mean that from any given opportunity to cross, you have 32 different possible crosses to put into the box, and that's without even going into how subtle changes in body position can impact the trajectory of the crosses.

It's much better like this than in previous PES (like PES6) where you could just peg it down the wing and put a goal on a plate with ease.

Let go of R1 when crossing, dont cross to close to the byline, inswinging crosses work best, use L1 to loop the ball into an onrushing CF, play on 0 bar assists.

Obviously using the variations which Rob outlined and are detailed in the PES manual give you lots more options.

unfortunately is pure theory ....they always end up in the arms of the goalkeeper....

Perhaps you just can't be persuaded.

Once you acknowledge that an average cross from within the wing will end up in the arms of the keeper, you start to attempt much more speculative that do not end up in the arms of the keeper. I'm not a great player or anything, but now I can go 4 or 5 games without putting a cross into the arms of the keeper.

The accuracy of crosses is another matter. Unlike the silly laser guided crosses of 2012, this iteration is much more random and difficult. I think this is perhaps appropriate. Last year I watched a Ligue 1 match between Lille and OM (I think?) and OM sent in 42 crosses (you know the French!) but only 3 contacted a teammate.

unfortunately is pure theory ....they always end up in the arms of the goalkeeper....
You're wrong. And from that type of post I don't even know if you're worth responding to.

Most of my goals come from crosses... Both from headers and volleys and from a wide variety of types of cross.

You need to take into account a number of factors - the crosser's stronger foot, their crossing skill, the running speed/body position (slow down if possible), who you're crossing to, their positioning/movement, the opponent's defensive positioning etc.

Just because something isn't simple and actually has a learning curve, doesn't mean it's broken.

Rob - do you find those directions still work with 0 assists? Pretty sure I've tried pulling back for a near post cross and ended up putting the ball out of play in the wrong direction LOL. Maybe I accidentally aimed before powering up. I have seen some nice variations on the crossing though.

Yeah even on 0 the crossing is assisted - you may have not been level with the box of something in which case you would need to hold L1, or you held L2 for the manual pass.

I may have to find my camera and make a bit of a compilation of the crossing/headers, to silence the doubters if nothing else, but there are some fairly nice goals too.

One of my favourite goals so far was in my first few games on zero assistance as Real - passed it around the defence and midfield for a bit, released Di Maria on the right with a defence-splitting pass, cut inside onto his stronger foot and whipped in a lovely cross which Ronaldo sprinted onto and powered towards goal. The keeper deflected it onto the post and managed to claw it out but it just crossed the line :).

Ok I played around with it more last night and there are indeed several factors you have to be aware of. For example, if you pull the stick back towards the penalty spot, you should be past the 18 yard line. I moved the stick back while crossing from the 18 yard line and it pulled the ball back to the top of the D. This makes sense.

Also noticed that some players will get a nice curl to the cross even without using L1 (early cross). So yeah, even on 0 it still is assisted and I think it goes towards the nearest player, given the direction you've pushed. So if you try pulling the ball back to the penalty spot but your striker is near the keeper, the ball will go closer to the keeper unless you use a full manual cross.

Tried putting balls into the far post and near post and they do not go to the keeper, provided you have a player in the spot you're trying to hit. Just in the training ground, scored a cracking volley where I whipped it over the keeper's head and to the far corner of the 6 yard box for someone to volley it home.

I've settled for 0 bars now after trying 1-2 bars for a while. Just find too much override/assistance with settings above 0. Good for just pinging the ball around but for building up a little slower and not forcing the AI into a pressure fest, 0 is great.

All good man. Don't know if I said it here or elsewhere but try pressing the shoot button literally when the ball is at your head, not a fraction before, if you want to get better headers. Usually pressing it too early results in a loopy header.

I've tried that, just results in me not getting the header. Then again I have a natural urge to hit it slightly early, need to work on it.

Just annoys me that the main way I like to play seems a bit broken.

when the ball is in the air, press shoot once to jump and press shoot again when you're about to meet the ball.

Well, I have scored 2 goals in my first match on PES 2013 with Juventus by crosses. I use double-tap all the time which is the near cross except the last one which is the triple tap ground cross. The majority of my goals are scored by crosses. You might as well make sure your tactics has some wing play on it.

YouTube - PES 2013 Demo No.1 Juventus vs Inter Milan[Highlights]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom