Chelsea - Tactical Sliders & Team Style!

bluchampblogger

League 2
6 June 2009
Let's talk tactics here. For each and every team, Konami have set tactical sliders in different ways. That's why we have different oppositions playing in different styles. Are these opponents playing the right style? I mean, does Chelsea play like Chelsea? Are the tactical slider set ups correct? That's the whole topic of this thread.

For instance, Chelsea don't attack you with speed (not referring to counterattacks). They take their time, build up their play, get the players in the desired spots and then create an attack. And, they don't congest the pitch. Their attacks are not compact. They use the width of the pitch. While they are in possession, they don't congest the ball carrier. They are a very organised team and particular about roles. They deliver a lot of crosses. In defence, they do play high up. When they are not in possession, they put a lot of pressure on the opposition. They are very compact in defence cutting down the options for the passing lanes.

As many have noted, the tactical sliders, though have markers from 0 to 100, there seems to be only three possibilities (0-33, 34-66, 67-99) in each slider. I'm still going ahead with the belief that there is a difference between, say 10 and 20, instead of just bucketing them under the 'below 33' category.

I'd put the Chelsea sliders this way:

Player Support - 40: When a Chelsea player has the ball, you don't see the rest of the players running ahead of him. That's because Chelsea's build up is slow (not referring to counterattacks). If you have players who can hold up the ball, even with a 50 slider, you'll have players for good attacking moves.

Support Range - 20: This means players would generally be spread wide across the pitch. This doesn't quite mean that the would attack from the flanks. It's just that the players would be distributed across the width of the pitch. Anyway, Chelsea are not a close-range short passing
team.

Position Switch - 0: When this is set to a low number, even if a player goes out of his position in an attack, he'd come back to his position as soon as possible, without waiting for the ball to go out of play. He will not continue being out of position too long. I think this value would just suit Chelsea.

Attacking Style - 10: With the full backs set up as either side backs or wing backs, Chelsea do attack from the wings primarily. You'd expect that good amount of their attacks would come from the sides than through the centre.

Pressing - 99: Chelsea presses their opponents very heavily. They just don't allow you anytime on the ball. They come after you at any distance and try to dispossess you early enough.

Defensive line - 80: Chelsea's defence plays quite up the pitch. With the full backs mostly in the attacking half of the pitch, the centre backs also play up. They have players like Essien and Ballack who are very good at preventing attacks quite early with their timely tackles and fouls.

Compactness - 30: Chelsea maintain the formation and the organisation very well. As a team they do not get closer to the opponent ball carrier because they don't have to. The players closer to the opponent will do pressurising while the rest of the team can maintain the shape.

Defensive Strategy - 0: Line defence. I think this is what Chelsea does.

What would you say about Chelsea's tactical sliders considering their playing style? Let's discuss that here, while we can have new threads created for other teams. People who have been watching those teams every week would be best suited to provide the numbers. Shall we talk Chelsea here?

How about instead of a one word response, you could try to intelligently add to the discussion. Could a mod delete the post above mine? It's a waste of bytes for this thread.

Anyways, I agree with player support and position switch because Chelsea is always tactically disciplined and maintain their shape very well. Also you mention that with attacking style, Chelsea prefers to attack via the wings but that is their only form of width (from the fullbacks). They are very effective attacking down the center as well, especially now that the 442 uses a diamond midfield and two strikers. When Ballack and Lamps tuck into the diamond, it allows Cole/Ivanovic to begin the raiding runs down the left and right.

Also, high pressing seems to be a major feature of many top-tier clubs when off the ball- just an observation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom