Between the lines analysis of PES 2009

desiasx

Non-League
2 July 2004
So after about 15 demo exhibition matches on the XBOX 360 I thought I would share a few thoughts.... Please feel free to input your on views on the demo..

I have seen a lot of negative feedback given on the demo, I agree, the game is not amazing but it is a lot better than PES 2008. For the sake of saving time and confusion, I will refer to PES 2008 as 08 and PES 2009 Demo as 09 Here are a few things I would like to mention:

The graphics itself run more fluidly on 09 vs 08. It is more fluid, you see the players are not running as chunky as before and they do not feel that robotic.

The thing that impressed me the most was defensive system, now the 2nd or 3rd defender will come in after the 1st defender is being passed by the striker weather it is a ball in the air or the striker running past the defender with the ball. In 08 it was basically "pass the 1st defender and you will get a clear shot on goal". There was no teamwork. In 09 I saw that the defenders tried to run behind the outplayed defender and try to slow down the attack. In 08 they would just run straight towards goal and stand there.

Once a defender has been beaten and you are trying to get a shot on goal the defenders try to block the shot or tackle in front of the striker pretty good. In 08 it was easy for me to tippy toe around in the box and then get a small shot in, now it was very difficult to do so, which is a good representation of real life simulation of the soccer game.

What really put me off was the ball physics, it bounces like a real ball and hits the players on a header/pass like a real ball. But it does not roll like a real ball, when a quick player like babel/robben/henry (the ones I tried out intensively) try to go for the full run, it does not seem very good. In my opinion the ball is kicked far enough in terms of distance from the player while he is running, but the ball stops up too fast, it should roll forward abit more, especially when a quick player kicks it in front of him. Seeing babel/henry/robben tap the ball every 4 steps is not realistic. Especially henry or babel who will boot the ball ahead and then use their speed to accommodate the distance.

Looking at Liverpool I also saw that Riera was missing from the squad, indicating that transfers closer to the deadline were not implemented. Hopefully this can be fixed for the original release.

Thats what I have so far. Not taking in account the online play, this game is already a step in the right direction in my opinion. I know we expected a good game, but I think me and my fellow PES players did raise the bar a bit too high, which resulted in a game that is good but not as good as we hoped it would be... I will be back with more info once I am done playing the demo so much that I am sick of it....

Congrats on your thoughtful and articulate mini-review. It's a refreshing read after some of the negative waves around ATM. I heartily agree with your observations about the AI (PC version with 30 minute games here). Keepers have been very solid for me. Buffon is like a rock. Defenders, just as you said, almost always manage to block. Good to see the refs also book AI players now fairly realistically.

Last edited:
yea, now that you mentioned the ref i almost forgot. Is it just my pes08, or was there only ONE ref model in the entire game? Must be seabass's father or some seabasskisser. and its the same godamn model as in the 09demo..hope it aint so in full version.

I liked your review, the more I play it the more frustrating I find the keepers. Around about PES4 to PES 6 the keepers were getting really good but then they were awful in 08 and I've only noticed a slight improvement this year. I've been playing a lot of games on Regular difficulty that have ended 2-2, 3-2 as pretty much every clear shot on goal goes in. One can only hope the Demo is not the retail build and they are not this bad in the full game.

The default data seems very hit and miss in terms of the Transfer window. In one screenshot I've seen Robinho at Man City (He signed pretty much at midnight on the last day) yet Berbatov is not at Man Utd and other major transfers are missing. I'm pretty sure SWP is still at Chelsea and he signed for Man City about a week before Robinho did. I know this is easily fixed in the edit mode but if they plan to charge people for DLC then they will get slaughtered if they release a January patch with loads of things wrong as well.

The keepers skill varies a lot according to the difficulty setting you make the team AI. Probably a shame you can't adjust them separately.

Back
Top Bottom