ASEAN Football and AFF Suzuki Cup 2020

muham_istau

Premiership
24 June 2017
Bandung, Indonesia
Arsenal
I was born in Indonesia, one of 11 countries in The Association of Southeast Asian Nations, been living here my whole life inside a nation with a 273.5 million "football craze" population (according to Google at least). Did you know that Indonesia has played in the World Cup before? yup, the 1938 World Cup in France under the name of "Dutch East Indies" (damn you colonization era) as the only representative of Asia. We lost to Hungary 6-0 and were unable (and still) to return to the highest stage until now. At least I can proudly brag that Indonesia is still the only ASEAN country that ever plays in the World Cup main stage :D (That if you did not count Australia, as of 2013 they joined the AFF for development reasons).

Back to the present situation, currently there are 12 members of the AFF (ASEAN Football Federation), 11 ASEAN counties + Australia.
Current FIFA rank of the 12 AFF Members (as of 23 Dec 2021):
35 - Australia
98 - Vietnam
115 - Thailand
128 - Philippines
152 - Myanmar
154 - Malaysia
160 - Singapore
164 - Indonesia
171 - Cambodia
187 - Laos
188 - Brunei Darussalam
196 - Timor Leste

As you can see, most of us didn't even close to the top 100, even closer to the bottom than the top. We may be lacking in many ways like technical abilities, club/national team management, youth development, but man... I do think we have the most passionate fans in the world :D

Now to the AFF Suzuki Cup, the cup to determine the sub-continental champion of South East Asia, this cup has 4 different age range (AFAIK), AFF U-16 Youth Championship, AFF U-19 Youth Championship, AFF U-22 Youth Championship, and the main AFF Championship (currently called AFF Suzuki Cup for sponsorship reason), contested by the senior national team. (Australia only participate in the U-16 & U-19 levels, and opt-out to participate in the U-22 & the senior levels)

The AFF Suzuki Cup is contested every two years. As you can see from the FIFA ranking, the current powerhouses of ASEAN are Vietnam and Thailand. There are only 4 countries that ever win the title, Thailand is the record holder with 5 times (1996, 2000, 2002, 2014, and 2016), and the current reigning champion Vietnam has only ever won the cup twice in its history (2008 & 2018), fewer than Singapore that won it 4 times in 1998, 2004, 2007, and 2012, and Malaysia won it once in 2010, after beating Indonesia in the final. (Indonesia holding the record of 5 times runner-up)

With the 2020 AFF Suzuki Cup ongoing, I'm really amazed by how each country has progressed, some with big strides, and some with little steps. Thailand with some of their main players played in J1 League (One the best league in Asia of course), Vietnam is the only ASEAN team through to the third round of 2022 World Cup Qualification, Indonesia with their young and full of prospect team with players that play in Europes and Asian leagues led by the famous Shin Tae-yong, the coach that famously knocked-out Germany from 2018 WC with South Korea, Cambodia also with their young and talented players, led by one of the best former Japanese player Keisuke Honda.

Looking at each country's progress, I do think that ASEAN countries can spread threats maybe not in the WC currently, but surely at the Asia level.

If you are someone from ASEAN or maybe someone that looking closely at ASEAN football, feel free to share your thought maybe about your national team, ASEAN football in general, or even some prediction or review of the current AFF Suzuki Cup :D

Last edited:
A-yo, Indonesia represent! Tbh the final might be predictable now lol
I mean, Indonesia got battered 4-0 by Thailand in the first leg. So unless miracle happens, I’m seeing that we‘re going to be a runner-up for the sixth time. :CONF:

I love Asian football, it is my second footballing love, after South America! I've always wondered about Southeast Asian football, since I mostly follow K-League and J-League, as well as Korean and Japanese national teams. But Southeast Asia is a region of the world I don't know much about in terms of the beautiful game, so it's cool you're informing us more about the region!

I just saw that Thailand took a big lead in the final against Indonesia, hopefully Indonesia will be able to make a comeback and make it interesting in the second leg! It'll be interesting to see the progress of this part of the world, it would be cool to see an ASEAN country in the World Cup! :BSCARF: :RSCARF: :) :TU:

A-yo, Indonesia represent! Tbh the final might be predictable now lol
I mean, Indonesia got battered 4-0 by Thailand in the first leg. So unless miracle happens, I’m seeing that we‘re going to be a runner-up for the sixth time. :CONF:
Yup, a devastating loss :(
There is still so much gap between Thailand and us. It's only Shin Tae-yong's first AFF Cup tho, most of this squad definitely gonna play in the next one. Bright future ahead~
I love Asian football, it is my second footballing love, after South America! I've always wondered about Southeast Asian football, since I mostly follow K-League and J-League, as well as Korean and Japanese national teams. But Southeast Asia is a region of the world I don't know much about in terms of the beautiful game, so it's cool you're informing us more about the region!

I just saw that Thailand took a big lead in the final against Indonesia, hopefully Indonesia will be able to make a comeback and make it interesting in the second leg! It'll be interesting to see the progress of this part of the world, it would be cool to see an ASEAN country in the World Cup! :BSCARF: :RSCARF: :) :TU:
The J-league and K-League is of course two most leading leagues in both competition quality and marketing-wise in Asia, a worthy example for many of us

I really hate the 2 leg final format of this tournament 😠 Hoping for the best for tomorrow...

Yup, a devastating loss :(
There is still so much gap between Thailand and us. It's only Shin Tae-yong's first AFF Cup tho, most of this squad definitely gonna play in the next one. Bright future ahead~
Yup, fingers crossed they’ll have better success in the future. But for now, they need to chin up and play the second leg with their hearts out to end the cup journey on a respentacle manner. :)

An expected end result, congrats to Thailand for winning the tournament.
Still, our player was giving their best until the very last seconds. Our 2nd leg was so much better than the 1st. Still, 2-2 wasn't enough to win it (Thailand only conceded 3 goals throughout the tournaments). We go again in AFF 2022!!! #SelamanyaGaruda

Big respect to Garuda for making the final. Especially with a squad filled with young talent (I believe the average age was 20/21?). Having seen the playoff teams for the Asian Cup, Indonesia have a good chance to make it I feel. As the keyring that came with my jersey says #KitaGaruda

Back
Top Bottom