• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ALBICELESTE2010

Champions League
13 July 2006
Watford
Argentina & Watford
Maradona No More Coach Of Argentina

Diego Maradona's meeting with the AFA on Monday has spelled the end of his reign as coach of Argentina, according to reports.

Maradona put forward the conditions under which he would stay on to president Julio Grondona during yesterday's meeting and it now looks likely there will be no renewal for the iconic coach.

It was made clear during the meeting that if any of Maradona's staff were removed from the set-up, el Diego would step aside; Grondona did not respond favourably to this idea claim South American sources.

The AFA reportedly intend to disband the staff roster and Maradona did not just reject the idea, he also wanted to augment the group further by adding Oscar Ruggeri.

Grondona has made no official comment as yet but Argentine newspaper Olé has confirmed the end of an era in today's edition.

A further meeting held today by Grondona with an Executive Committee will shed some light on the situation, however unless something unexpected forms during the meeting, Maradona's terms will not be met.

:APPLAUD::APPLAUD:

Okay so we've wasted two years and a chance at WC sucess but all the signs are a huge weight has been lifted from the seleccion.

Now it's time to pick the right coaching staff.

I would be in favour of an interim coach such as Batista who is with the u20's in Asuncion right nowand then appoint a coach over him with him moved to #2 as he knows the youth players and people like Aguero , Banega , Messi well.

Bianchi is more a businessman nowadays. And Grondona does not like him. Not for me.

Bauza. Took LDU Quito to the Libertadores and is refreshing tactically.

Sabella has an opt out clause with Estudiantes after taking them to the Libertadores.

Simeone up and down in terms of sucess but this role might suit him better and he is well versed in modern football tactics.

Cappa plays the tiki taka way but with more directness and threat a la 2006 as shown at Huracan and now starting with River. Likes promoting youth ie Gomez and Cirigliano at River should get a chance.

Cuper out in the wilderness not a sucess with Georgia. Defensively minded though.

Pochettino. Doing a decent job with Espanyol afte a shaky start. Too raw.

Bielsa. Not sure. Still shows a stubborness in management as with Chile not changing tactics against Brazil.

My choice Tata Martino available after the Copa. Has turned Paraguay into a solid unit building from the back and with limited resources troubled and outcoached del Bosque. And he wants the job as well.

Others inc. Gareca who has sucess in Peru and took Velez to the Clausura over Huracan and Miguel Angel Russo, Ricardo La Volpe and perhaps Manuel Pellegrini.

I suspect an interim coach to be appointed for the friendly versus Ireland August 11th and when Spain come to Buenos Aires on September 7th.

All fans of Argentina and those interested in the international scene please vote. ;)

Last edited:
YES!!! Maradonna out?!?! Best news ever.

My choice would be Pellegrini. But would they give it to a non-Argentine? I doubt it so I don't think it's a realistic choice.

why not think about batista? my second choice would be cappa but he is more like a father and I dont know if he is able to control those players with a difficult character.

I would like to see a warrior like Simeone, but I think he's still unexperienced.

Today I also listened a romour about Carlitos Bianchi.

Ramon Diaz, but I heard he might leave San Lorenzo to become the next Mexico manager - Pellegrini's been linked with that to...

It looks likely that the three main candidates are set to be Sabella, Russo and Batista.

None of them have previous history with Grondona which unfortunately is important. Bianchi of course has. Sabella plays with a tight compact midfield and uses fullbacks while Russo plays a tight defence with expansive midfield.

Ernestito there are question marks over Batista as he did screw up the u20 qualification last time around and left out some vital players like Munoz. I'm not sold on his competence and experience.

As for a foreign manager PLF that is a touchy question on Argentinian pride. No country has won a WC with a foreign manager in charge though Pellegrini can be described as an honorary Argentine and a good capable choice.

Salary would be an issue too I guess. I for one would not mind seeing Mourinho coach the team in 2014 on a short term contract funded by Messi who want's to win the WC badly along with the Copa as the only thing's he has not won.

Many foreign coaches would like to take the reins ie Hiddink but they would be soon put off by the Byzantine intricacies within the AFA.

And after all Argentina as a football giant appointing a foreign coach after all it has contributed to football tactics would be seen as a slap in the face.

It's pity but Martino who did so well with Paraguay was just missed out on.

For the Ireland game this is the squad list. Apparently depending on who you beleive it was chosen by Bilardo or Maradona. Still some deadwood in it ie Datolo , Insua at fullback over Ansaldi ?? And Perotti behind Gutierrez ??

And no cull of the older guard either Heinze, Samuel and Dimichelis in favour of young talents like Forlin, Munoz or the reliable Pareja.

GK Romero Sergio , Mariano Andújar
DF Martin Demichelis, Walter Samuel,Nicolas Burdisso,
Gabriel Heinze, Fabricio Coloccini, Pablo Zabaleta
Emiliano Insua
MF Maximiliano Rodríguez, Javier Mascherano, Ángel Di María
Jonas Gutierrez, Mario Bolatti, Javier Pastore,Fernando Gago
Jesus Dátolo , Ever Banega
FW Gonzalo Higuain, Carlos Tevez, Sergio Agüero, Messi Lionel
Diego Milito, Ezequiel Lavezzi

Those in bold will hopefully be discarded by the next coach.

Argentina u20 under Batista and missing several players beat Uruguay u20 1-0 in Asuncion yesterday.

Team being:
GK 1-Esteban Andrada (River Plate);
DF 4-Adrián Martínez (San Lorenzo), 6-Germán Pezzella (River Plate), 2-Hugo Nervo, 3-Nicolás Tagliafico (Banfield);
MF 7-Leandro Chaparro (San Lorenzo), 5-Santiago Galucci, 8-Bruno Zuculini (Racing Club), 11-Michael Hoyos (Estudiantes)
FW 20-Luis Fariña y 9-Valentín Viola

No Boca players as they are with Boca Juniors on tour.

Tagliafico had a solid game as did Bruno Zuculini brother of Franco but Michael Hoyos was the key man and scorer. He is the one who rejected the USSF call up to their u20 and is being mentored by Veron and made the trip to South Africa as part of the sparring squad.

Ernestito there are question marks over Batista as he did screw up the u20 qualification last time around and left out some vital players like Munoz. I'm not sold on his competence and experience.

but then again he won the olympics in beijing. another interesting choice would be el turco mohamed. he is doing a great job for years with colon and might deserve a chance to coach a bigger team if not the national team.

but then again he won the olympics in beijing. another interesting choice would be el turco mohamed. he is doing a great job for years with colon and might deserve a chance to coach a bigger team if not the national team.

There was talk of bringing in 'EL Turco' as an assistant to Diego but that would have been problematic though he has done a solid job with Colon.

I guess whoever is chosen will want their own staff and this time round with their experience the mafioso will grant them their wishes.

That list for the fixture versus Ireland was selected by Bilardo as Diego revealed in his press conference.

They should get him a ambassadorial with the AFA to keep him occupied.

There will also be a friendly against Ukraine in October as well.

well, fact is that grondona should be kicked before maradona. I dont say that maradonas dismissal was wrong but surely something is going wrong in the AFA. grondona & kirchner ---> pact of the evil.

El Turco's a Muslim, right? Not often you find Argentine Muslims in football. :D

There is a small percentage of the population derived from both Syriac and Lebanese Christian and Muslims who arrived in the 1930's.

The Puma hreat and prop forward Omar Hasan is another notable sportsman with such antecedence and also a very good opera baritone.

As for Diego in his conference yesterday he accused Bilardo of forcing him out whilst he himself conspired to get rid of Basile. It's like a mini Roman empire in the 3rd century...... :CONFUSE:

However Diego has this to say:
"Since 1990, the national team have not got past the quarter-finals. Several coaching staffs have worked and nobody has achieved that. Something is being done wrong because our players succeed all around the world at their clubs. Some things are done badly and there is no will to change them.'

"Whoever takes over, he has to know treason is close. Some people here do not love Argentinian football. They take care only of their personal interests and bank accounts,'' Maradona said.

Sometimes his perispacity is astounding. In a few sentences he encapsulates everything wrong with the AFA. If the AFA was a modern organization I could see Argentina becoming really dominant but football is organized domestically in a shambles.

For example no effort has been made unlike the Brazilians to reform goalkeeping coaching hence no great keepers since Fillol in 1978 and Goyocochea.

Many areas of the country lack decent facilities. Clubs refuse to release players for under age tournaments in season.

Nothing has been done to address the nasty influence of the barra bravas.

Nothing has been done to prevent the loss of underage players to Europe which should be the responsibility of Grondona on behalf of all the CONMEBOL nations.

Nothing has been done to make sure clubs are run properly on a financially sound basis.

Nothing has been done to reform the AFA internally and streamline decision making and make posts accountable through transparent elections.

No effort has been made to introduce ex players with business acumen to make the most of the media cachet and excitement the seleccion like the selecao make when they travel the world.

I'm referring here to the likes of Redondo and Batigol here.

As I've said before the AFA is a shambles .If you though the Football Association in England say is badly run it has nothing on the AFA.

And it's been like that for decades. For instance not sending what would have been a top class side in 1950 and 1954 one which would have featured di Stefano, Loustau and Pedernera for instance and losing many talented players to Italy and Spain in that era.

The Argentine Football Federation have announced that Alejandro Sabella will become the new Argentina national team manager. The Estudiantes coach will replace Diego Maradona, who was sacked earlier this week after falling out with the AFA over the positions of his backroom staff.

Sabella is highly rated by his peers in Argentinian football and led the Pincha to several notable successes recently both domestically and oon the continent. Estudiantes have become a force and have won the Copa Libertadores under his charge.

Former Argentina manager Daniel Passarella also believed that Sabella would be an ideal choice to replace Maradona and guide the Albiceleste to glory in the future. Both men had previously worked together during the former’s time in charge of the national team before Sabella left to manage Estudiantes in March 2009.

Sabella will officially take over the Albiceleste after completing his club commitments and it is not known if he will handle the team for their friendly against the Republic of Ireland, with Sergio Batista earlier given the reins as caretaker manager for the fixture.

“I would be very happy to if Alejandro was available to coach Argentina, and for me he should come and get it right now,” Passarella had previously said. “He’s a great person and great coach, and I’m sure that – like everyone in his situation – he would be ready to accept this job.

“I always did my best on the team. It would be a pleasure to see Sabella in the job.”

Sabella may now step in officially in his new capacity as national team coach for the following friendly against Spain in September.

The u20 reached the final of Hexagonal tournament in Asuncion with a 0-0 draw against Mexico and will play either Colombia or Brazil.

Coached by Walter Perazzo they dominated the first half but could not score directed well by Michaeal Hoyos of Estudiantes in midfield.

The team for the match against Mexico was:
GK Esteban Andrada (River Plate)

DF:Adrián Martinez (San Lorenzo), Hugo Nervo (Arsenal), German Pezzella (River) and Nicholas Tagliafico (Banfield)

MF:Short Leandro (San Lorenzo), Franco Mussis (Estudiantes), Michael Hoyos (Estudiantes) Lucas Rodriguez (Argentine Juniors)

FW: Valentin Viola (Racing), Lucas Villafáñez (Independiente)

Subs:
Jonathan Baumann (Columbus of Santa Fe),Ramiro Funes Mori(River Plate)

Last edited:
Nice news! :)

I am not displeased by his selection. He's tactically flexible and a analytical coach.

Let's face it anyone was better than Diego. :P

The u20 unfortunately lost 0-1 to Colombia who beat Brazil in their semi final. The side is mainly 17-18 year olds and younger than their opposition and missing several first choices ie Aruajo, Pacheco,but I hope Batista did not have his eye taken off by the possibility of his being made NT manager.

Actually the AFA are now saying they have not approached anyone officially.

And that the position of coach will only be filled in January with 3 main candidates Bianchi, Sabella and Borghi.

Bianchi hates Grondona but has said via a close confidante that he would be prepared as it were to help the seleccion out.

I'd prefer of them Sabella and hope he still gets it as Bianchi has been out of football for several seasons.

Bilardo has said that the door to Maradona is not closed.

Is this an attempt by Bilardo to undermine Grondona who does not want Diego anymore ?

How could Bilardo want Diego back after his comments about the man in the shadows ?

Is the Nestor and Christina mafia placing pressure on Grondona ?

Who is caught in the mess ? The players and fans and prospective coaches. What a sad state of affairs. Do these idiots realize they are turning the seleccion into a laughing stock and by association Argentina as a whole ?

Mascherano said they need a new project as well.

And Ruggieri said Grondona threatened to shoot him as well the assistant Diego wanted but was refused thank goodness who would have made things worse.

It's a ridiculous soap opera. A plague on all their houses.

as long as grondona is in charge nothing will be any different. f*** off julio!

Elections for the AFA presidency are next year. Some of the prospective candidates could be worse than Grondona...... :(

I would not mind running the AFA. ;) Other countries like Spain and Italy are using the skills of former players ie Hierro and Baggio while ours do not get used ie Redondo / Batigol.

Frankly no one has a clue what is going on behimd the scenes there.

AFA needs total reform to drag it into the 21st century.

The women hockey players the Lions, the men basketballers and volleyballers and the Pumas are doing well and getting things right why can't the football team with it's talent do the same and live up to it's potential ?

Francisco Varallo the last survivor of the 1930 World Cup has passed away. A moment's reflection for this oldest of the Albicelestes.

Batista made a strong case for taking the post as manager with the teams performance yesterday.

It was a niggly game in the first half but Argentina looked more balanced with Cambiasso playing a roving pressing role.

Weaknesses still exist in the fullback spots and centrally and there is a great need for kids to be blooded ie Ansaldi, Forlin, Fazio.

YouTube - Argentina VS Spain 4-1 Highlights 09/7/2010

Spain had their chances hitting the woodwork three times but still no one can rival Argentina for their one touch passing at speed with instant control.

YouTube - Great Di Maria goal disallowed.
Shame di Maria strayed offside.

Spain will miss Xavi when he is gone and Puyol in controlling the backline but they remain at the top table with the kids that are coming through and they have the WC in their cabinet at present.

A pity certain players who were playing yesterday were not in South Africa under a coach with a modicum of ability such as Batista or things might have been a whole deal different.

No use though in crying over spilt milk.

Pastore was omitted solely due to club commitments .

You really destroyed the Spanish team and it was wonderful to watch. In the UK wishy-washy journalists like Patrick Barclay are carping on and on about Spain as though they are the best champions in the history of the game and totally unbeatable.

The Mexicans had the beating of them last month and now the Argentines rolled them over. I disagree that 4-1 wasn't a fair scoreline, Argentina raced into a two goal lead after 15 mins and then relaxed a bit, a gift from Reina made it 3-0 but even then the Spanish, for all their passing in the second half, didn't really threaten Romero's goal. The woodwork hits were shots from long distance which Romero pretty much had covered.

Even when Spain got their goal Argentina were able to just stroll up the pitch and score another.

The experience from Zanetti and Cambiasso really make a difference. The stability of the team was really good. It wasn't that 5-5 anciente tactic of Maradona where all defence is only there to defend and the other 5 are there only to attack. Pathetic if you ask me, that why they got trashed against Germany.
But this game really showed how Messi should play for Argentina. I just wish some1 understood how to play Ronaldo for us...

Loved it. A much more balanced side.

Did Batista make any attempt to get Riquelme back?

Batista want's Riquelme back that is for certain. However that is a retrogade step.

Better to let Pastore take the mantle of directing creative operations. He and Ever should form the crux of that midfield. People on redcafe like Kouroux I think criticized Bangea in not seeing anything special need to look at how he controls the ball and gives it.

The best young talents at 'enganche' Lanzini and Canete are still far too young.

Cambiasso was told to press high up on Busquets and Alonso and not let them dictate play which he did admirably.

Ever did not have to perform his box to box role in which he is as capable as Redondo.

The other key area is the defence. It need's a total overhaul and this season is crucial.

Ansaldi should already take over from Heinze again exposed for pace against Navas.

Right back Angeleri or Ferrari.

Centreback wise there are several candidates. Forlin, Munoz, Guillermo Burdisso, Fazio, Galeano and seeing as he has worked with Batista in the past Garay has an advantage. No shortage of ability in those spots.

A decent backup keeper is needed as Romero is still suffering a bit in terms of positioning.

cfdhedmundo you are probably right. We did let up after half time though personally I was looking for us to score six or seven.

d'Alessandro after helping Internacional win the CL had a nice cameo.

News for Mourinho play di Maria as a left sided winger not the right.

This game you have to bear in mind is part of the Spanish FA's bid to get the support of Argentina to host WC2018 with Portugual and England's friendly next year 2013 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of it's foundation at Wembley is also aimed at trying to gain Argentinian support namely mafioso Grondona for their bid.

The experience from Zanetti and Cambiasso really make a difference. The stability of the team was really good. It wasn't that 5-5 anciente tactic of Maradona where all defence is only there to defend and the other 5 are there only to attack. Pathetic if you ask me, that why they got trashed against Germany.
But this game really showed how Messi should play for Argentina. I just wish some1 understood how to play Ronaldo for us...

Indeed so. Batista want's to play 4-3-3.

So many people were warning Diego before the Germany game deficiencies exposed by the Mexican's needed changing.

Bilardo told him so and was told to go away.

Yep let's play 2 wingers in midfield and a centre back at right back.

They may not say it publicly but I bet most of the player's are glad that Diego is gone as manager certainly.

Luckily this group of attackers and midfielder's have 2 WC's left in them after having one wasted by an incompetent nincumpoop.

Proof that Maradona was utter crap. On top, I hate the fact that he has no end to his excuses and his blamings for others.

Remains to be seen :) Argentina has a lot of potential. But as my friend who's a big fan of Argentina regretfully says... some things will change till 2014. Spain's changes might be even bigger.

I find the few anti-spain opinions funny though. Some have been waiting to say things for a loooong time.

Proof that Maradona was utter crap. On top, I hate the fact that he has no end to his excuses and his blamings for others.

Yeah you can't help but wonder what might have been had he not been in charge. Müller, probably the player of the tournament, had an immense game in the Cape Town quarter final, but the amount of room and space yielded to the German midfield was astonishing, it was a series of massive tactical errors as well as not taking key players (Banega) to Africa. It's a shame because there was no stand out team in this World Cup and had Argentina got their tactics right there would have been no reason why they couldnt have won it, they certainly had the most talented pool of players.

Exactly. Going in to the World Cup, I believed Argentina would be victorious this time for sure. However, from the first match I could see the team was nowhere the level I was hoping for. Even for the victories with large differences, there was no flow to the gameplan and the midfield looked terribly out of harmony. Like you said, Germany was exponentially more prepared tactically and they exposed Maradona's inflexibility. I don't want to even comment on the squad choices and substitutions. Cambiasso not even in the reserves after leading Inter to win the CL final?!

On a side note, Maaan I miss watching Riquelme. I realize it might be better to move on from him for the national team, but I wish he won at least some more trophies before calling it quits. I wonder what might have been if he was in South Africa... Does anyone know if he is doing any good in Boca Juniors anymore?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom