Ajax, the most influential club in football's history?

Stan

Allez les Lionceaux !!!
12 September 2002
As a Spurs fan i was hoping for a quarter final against Ajax. Since being a child (i'm old enough to have seen Cruijff's Ajax with Neeskens, Gery Muhren, Keizer, Krol, Haan, Michels and Fahdronc), i love this club that keeps on producing young star after star...

The last 25 years football's hierarchy is determined by money and Ajax has become a minnow club because they can't spent billion's on players. Fortunately the current crop of Ajax players is a very good blend between very talented youngsters and older players who have seen it all. Their matches against both Real Madrid and Juventus were among the best CL matches i've seen the last years.

I might be exagerating, but isn't Ajax the most influential club ever? Without Ajax and Cruijff Barcelona would look completely different.
Without Ajax no Arsenal invincibles (Wenger was heavily inlfuenced by the Ajax philosophy).
Without Ajax and Cruijff Bielsa would have had other dieas and without Bielsa both Gaurdiola and Pocchetino could not have come to their principles.

On top of that Ajax is the club who originated or mpulded players like Van Basten, Rijkaard, Bergkamp, Overmars, Litmanen, De Boer, Koeman (not entirely correct this one) and i forget dozens of other fantastic players.

And finally (in the grand scheme of things perhaps less important) Eriksen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Sanchez in the current Spurs team, all come from Ajax.

Back
Top Bottom